Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dan Bylsma - Ex Stanley Cup champion coach - and asst coach to team USA at the Worlds just said on NHL Tonight that Hughes will not be around after pick #9, and he thinks he can jump right away to the NHL...the guy coached him at the World Championships and came away absolutely impressed by Hughes on and off the ice. How the kid handled the pressure of being the only 18 year old out there was beyond impressive. He said he has a bit of a chip on his block as well, he doesn't let people get to him and plays with an attitude and confidence far above his age.

Depending on what team gets Hughes, I agree with Bylsma, kid could legitimately turn pro which would destroy yet another horrible narrative out there..

I watched that as well. I am not denying Hughes's talent but I prefer BT, OW, and Babson over him.

Dan Byslma might be one of the worst Stanley Cup winning coaches ever imo.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
too soon for him, we need to find a way to move up and get a 2nd rounder to nab this kid...moving out AA or getting Darling and maybe Hurricanes 2nd rounder makes sense, we need an early 2nd rounder to nab another top prospect
Completely agree. I'd work out a trade with Montreal involving AA since they have an abundance of second round picks and a need for centers.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not saying draft for need at 8. Hughes is #3 in my rankings so he's BPA if available at 8. I'm just saying if they want a forward at 27, that's when it's okay to draft for need and there are plenty of options.

You have him higher than most but that is why they are your rankings.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I watched that as well. I am not denying Hughes's talent but I prefer BT, OW, and Babson over him.

Dan Byslma might be one of the worst Stanley Cup winning coaches ever imo.
I actually edited my post right as you posted this - my comment wasn't directed at you, just backing up what you reported Mac's scouts said of Hughes.

Bylsma isn't the greatest coach, but still a long time NHL coach with a ring...he would know better than most what Quinn is made of, and by all accounts he impressed his coaching staff at the Worlds..

I am happy for any of those names, for the love of God just get this over with already!!! I want to see who we get lol!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tbf I also have Wahlstrom at #4, so again, I'm cool with either pick. I just like Hughes a bit more.
same here..Wall-E is 4th on my list, he does the most important thing in hockey better than anyone else in this draft (maybe even better than Svech), scoring dem damn goals! put Nick Schmaltz and Kane with this kid and holy shit look out!

Reactions: Kevin Musto

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Saad - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Wahlstrom
Riley Nash - Stastny - Hinostrozza
Hayden - Kampf - Sikura
Jurco/Wingels

AA moved in the Darling swap along with Hossa contract
sign me the f*** up for that!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just for your steadfastness, I hope they sign R Nash.
Add in at least a bonafide No. 3 d-man and dat lineup sparkles.

I will keep adding Riley Nash until we sign the guy lol!!!

They are realistic signs that we need, Nash and Stastny add a lot to this team, and that lineup is balanced as hell.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'm happy either way but I think it makes more sense to go with Hughes. There are no LHD in our system that have top pairing potential. Perhaps Forsling or Carlsson, but that's best case scenario with those guys. You can fix the sniper issue by grabbing someone like Berggren, Foudy, Hallander or Iskhakov at 27.
Hawks have a sniper...DeBrincat, who also passes extremely well too. Q just refused to deploy him like that by not playing him with Kane.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Saad - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Wahlstrom
Riley Nash - Stastny - Hinostrozza
Hayden - Kampf - Sikura
Jurco/Wingels

AA moved in the Darling swap along with Hossa contract
sign me the **** up for that!
Like that, but what about this..

The more I think about it, the more I like Cat-Toews-Kane as a line combo. Works on many levels...gets Cat more minutes and with a great distributor, gives Cat and Kane a great possession center who will also win offensive zone faceoffs, and jumps Toews offensively.

Finally, it’s time to give Schmaltz his own line. He’s a puck hound in the mold of a younger Toews or any age Hossa. Saad and a Wahlstrom/Tkachuk would be a big sized two way line in the mold of a young Sharp-Toews-Hossa trio. Potential nightmare for the opposition.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Interesting storyline on center Liam Foudy. After his ice time was increased he has moved up to 29th by Bobby Mac which is 52 spots higher than previous ...... and 72 spots by central scouting. WOW.
Yup, the second half of his season was incredible. He put up 40 points this year. 33 of those came in the 31 games after he was given more responsibility and play time. Thus, he's a point per game player in the OHL, he was just stuck down the depth chart. Watch him pot 100+ points next season. If the Hawks need some good center prospects, Foudy would be a steal at 27.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I found this interesting. Central Scouting rated players on competitiveness:
1/ Tkachuk - F
2/ Hughes - D
3/ Svechnikov - F
4/ Farabee - F
5/ Sandin - D
I think competitiveness courses through Tkachuk's veins just like his brother and father. Hughes is always working hard to prove everyone wrong. Svech is just a straight up workhorse. Interesting to see Farabee and Sandin up there.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Interesting storyline on center Liam Foudy. After his ice time was increased he has moved up to 29th by Bobby Mac which is 52 spots higher than previous ...... and 72 spots by central scouting. WOW.
Q would love him--he's a perimeter player that shies from scoring areas.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think competitiveness courses through Tkachuk's veins just like his brother and father. Hughes is always working hard to prove everyone wrong. Svech is just a straight up workhorse. Interesting to see Farabee and Sandin up there.

Just to echo this, a lot of people only seem to focus on his offensive skills (rightfully so, I suppose) but he actually plays a really well-rounded game. He's extremely smart, much better defensively than he gets credit for, and he's actually a major pest to play against. He can be flat-out nasty and piss you off, and all of that is not even counting his offensive skills.

He's a clear-cut 1st Overall in many drafts.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I mention this in my ranking write ups that are almost done. Svech had a historic season in the OHL. If he was in last year's draft, he'd be a lock for #1 and it wouldn't even be close.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just to echo this, a lot of people only seem to focus on his offensive skills (rightfully so, I suppose) but he actually plays a really well-rounded game. He's extremely smart, much better defensively than he gets credit for, and he's actually a major pest to play against. He can be flat-out nasty and piss you off, and all of that is not even counting his offensive skills.

I thought Craig B's comp for him was spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad