Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
With the Hawks now statistically more likely to get a top 3 pick than make the playoffs, I figure its time for a catch-all thread for the draft

...Just in case the lottery isn't fixed to give the Hawks Dahlin

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It is true...Hawks sit currently at the 9th draft slot at just a 6% chance of making the playoffs..9th draft slot has a 6% chance of winning the #3 pick...So we have an equal chance of winning the #3 pick as of making the playoffs ...

I think the odds of winning the #1 from the 9th pre-lottery position ate slightly less ...5.4%% , and the #2 pick would be 5.6% (but this came off the Internet from some person "transkating" these odds ...not from any official NHL source...tge creasing is that we knew the exact odds in a 30 team league but since the league is now 31 there are now 15 lottery teams not 14 ...thus the odds from last time have to be translated to account for the extra lottery team ..which puts the bother 14 teams at slightly lower odds than last lottery of gaining a top 3 pick).

Anyway ...I would be over the moon if we got the #3 pick let alone #2 or $1 ......
There is no debate about Rasmus Dahlin being the 1st pick. .There us debate about whether Svechnikov or Zadina is #2 and the other #3 ...

I see that Sam Cosentino of Sportsnet in Canada has Zadina #2 and Svechnikov #3...

Zadina plays LW (his off wing ...gre)at 1-timer) and Svechnikov plays RW ...Zadina is special because his shot release and accuracy is ELITE SPECIAL. ..great great sniper par excellence ...Svechnikov is a total package. ..Elite skater...size and physical...great skill and strength combo ..and a 200 ft game ..we cannot go wrong with either... ..still....in the NHL defenses can neutralize or limit great skaters or great skill or cat least limit their effectivenes but they cannot stymie guys with elite shots ...snipers who just can beat goalies consistently ..Sone few players have such special shots ...uncanny release and tremendous velocity and accuracy ..This is a talent so very few possess..that is what makes Zadina so "starry" great ...Hawks need a sniper who beats goalies..can get his shot off and who does not miss ...buries the chances. .

If however we do not win one of the 3 lotto top picks then 9th is too late to get Oliver Whalstrom ...the 4th rated forward in this draft (Brady Tkachuk is tge 3rd rated forward on most lists) ...To get Whalstrom ,Hawks probably need to draft 6th or maybe 7th ..though if a team drafting 5th wants a forward over a dman then he could go as high as 5th .. However...conventional wisdom is to graphics elite Dmen over
Forwards in any close ranking grouping ...The 5,6,7 spots shoukd be 2 dnen (Evan Bouchard and Adam Boqvist) and Whalstrom .. If we cannot get any of these 3 because we are 8th or 9th,then we drop a level to more offer talent with less sure thing and some issues that could make them merely average as pros or even busts...

2 smaller Dmen. ..Ryan Merkley (as much pure talent as you can find in this draft ..but defending is another issue as is his attitude issue and the size issue....Quinn Hughes also talented but will his smallish size hinder him at tge NHL level ? Or do you take a leap of faith on a guy wi th huge size and great upside ....you hope...potential in the Big winger Serron Noel usually ranked much later in round one in the 20s,Or do you go for Need ...Hawks need Centres ...Isac Lundestrom or Barrett Hayton...good but perhaps not greatness potential?

The problem is that after #7 goes off tge board there are more questions and less certainty ...

1.Dahlin
2 Zadina
3.Svechnikov
4.Tkachuk
5.Bouchatd
6.Boqvist
7 .Whalstrom
--------------
8.?????
9.?????
10?????

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I would be ecstatic getting any one of Dahlin, Zadina, or Svechnikov.

Dahlin is a future multiple Norris winner. The other two are high end offensive wingers. All three are NHL ready.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Bouchard and Boqvist are going to drop behind the big 4 forwards, just don't see as much upside in either of them as opposed to that top 4 forward group - depends on what teams are drafting of course in that range.

if we are in the 8-10 range sign me up for Hayton or Hughes....Hayton is as good of a two way center I have seen in a few years, can easily step in and be a #2 in a few years (Ryan O'Reilly type)...Hughes is just dynamic, has some issues but could be another Duncan Keith for us...he isn't going to grow much more but what he has on the ice is electric and few can match at this point.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m hesitant to take a 5’9 defenseman in the early first like that. I’m not against shortness at all but playing D that short is tough. Jared Spurgeon is like one of the few

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would be ecstatic getting any one of Dahlin, Zadina, or Svechnikov.

Dahlin is a future multiple Norris winner. The other two are high end offensive wingers. All three are NHL ready.
the russian factor is a problem for me. the ability to use the khl vs nhl for salary.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
the russian factor is a problem for me. the ability to use the khl vs nhl for salary.

Svechnikov plays in OHL so the risk of losing him to KHL is pretty small. If he currently would play in KHL, it’s more riskier which also affects his draft number.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’m hesitant to take a 5’9 defenseman in the early first like that. I’m not against shortness at all but playing D that short is tough. Jared Spurgeon is like one of the few

trust me, I am too...but the kid is electric, not much like him out there.

he can easily have a career like Torey Krug, just more dynamic and quicker on the ice.

Hughes is going to go top 10, shit some think even higher maybe just outside #5

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I would take Hughes if Dahlin, Dobson, Boquist, Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk are all gone. Im not that big of a fun of Hughes but I agree that he has a lot raw talent.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know I will get flamed for this, but I think Dahlin takes a bit of time to get going at the NHL level...I think next year he will have a good/solid year but nothing crazy...just like Hedman I still think he needs some adjusting and time to grow into the frame...but after that second year and beyond...yeah this kid is going to be special.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would take Hughes if Dahlin, Dobson, Boquist, Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk are all gone. Im not that big of a fun of Hughes but I agree that he has a lot raw talent.

exactly, plus it will be cool to get him and then his brother Jack in the 2019 draft!!! hahaha

and for those who do not follow prospects closely, his brother Jack Hughes is easily on par to Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel, and Patrick Kane during their stints with the USNDP...in fact he is crushing their numbers, kid should be a slam dunk for #1 if he stays healthy - so yeah I see us drafting #1 in 2019!!

LOSE FOR HUGHES!!!!

Reactions: migi

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They might be in contention for that #1 pick if Crawford's injuries persist. I'm down for another year of Forsberg and Glasser between the pipes.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Lidstrom? No way.

Almost all of you here are too young, but does anyone amongst the other elders here look at that and see Orr like I do?
(Raises hand)

I see a true generational talent.

This is the guy McDavid and Auston are supposed to be.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Dahlin...Hayton, Boqvist would be great. Even if we "only" get a top 10 pick, we'll get a really good prospect.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Svechnikov plays in OHL so the risk of losing him to KHL is pretty small. If he currently would play in KHL, it’s more riskier which also affects his draft number.
true but he can put the khl against the nhl for the purpose of the $$$$ .... he made his rep now as a can't miss prospect in North American hockey, this carries more weight than coming from the russian league with that rep.

it just puts me on the warning .....

migi

Feb 25, 2015
true but he can put the khl against the nhl for the purpose of the $$$$ .... he made his rep now as a can't miss prospect in North American hockey, this carries more weight than coming from the russian league with that rep.

it just puts me on the warning .....

Well everyone can do that. O’Reilly did that.

The big factor is that he isnt playing in KHL now.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Well everyone can do that. O’Reilly did that.

The big factor is that he isnt playing in KHL now.
true and i haven't implied that it was the now, in the present stage. i guess it is all on me and thinking after the draft hoping to see good things goes the Bhawks way, instead of this continuous shit storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad