Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The more I think about it the more I would love for the Hawks to draft Wahlstrom. We could then run Washington’s PP (after we sign Carlson). He is not OVI but he would be really good in that role.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Hey Hawks fans, Q:

What is the general consensus of what Chicago will be doing at 8? Just kind of curious since we pick right behind you guys. Any specific guys the media has talked about? I feel like this draft is all over the place.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hey Hawks fans, Q:

What is the general consensus of what Chicago will be doing at 8? Just kind of curious since we pick right behind you guys. Any specific guys the media has talked about? I feel like this draft is all over the place.
It certainly is all over the place. I'd assume we select one of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or Hughes if any are available. The Hawks have been reported to have interest in the 2 forwards, and Hughes fills a positional need (and he played for USA in the Worlds, which Kane was captain of).

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It certainly is all over the place. I'd assume we select one of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or Hughes if any are available. The Hawks have been reported to have interest in the 2 forwards, and Hughes fills a positional need (and he played for USA in the Worlds, which Kane was captain of).
I don't know if Hughes is there at 8. Maybe he is though. I was throwing the idea around of the Rangers swapping picks with some team, not sure if Chicago would slide back 1 spot.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Its a good problem to have but I’m curious who they go with if say Wahlstrom or Hughes is there. Like you said, Hughes played with Kane and possibly gave some feedback to Stan. Wahlstrom can make a case without any feedback. Hawks need another sniper and he seems more than physically ready to step in now and contribute in a top 9 role.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hughs sounds like the perfect Stan guy at #8. Almost a certainty he'll be there. Smallish, with high reward, high risk in his game. Please no. Hawks need stability and some physicality in the back end. Based on previous drafts, I won't be surprised if he's still around much later, maybe even at #27.

Dobson sounds pretty good to me:
- good size at 6' 3"
- good skater
- good vision

Bob has him rated at #6.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Hughs sounds like the perfect Stan guy at #8. Almost a certainty he'll be there. Smallish, with high reward, high risk in his game. Please no. Hawks need stability and some physicality in the back end. Based on previous drafts, I won't be surprised if he's still around much later, maybe even at #27.

Dobson sounds pretty good to me.

- good size at 6' 3"
- good skater
- good vision

Bob has him rated at #6.
I’d be completely surprised if he goes after 10, latest.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Just searched and found that the first round will be televised on NBCSN, with coverage starting Friday at 7 pm Eastern time, draft at 7:30 pm. NHL Network picks up rounds 2-7 on Saturday beginning at 11 am Eastern.

Sorry for the partially correct info earlier.
All good, i got the jist of it :)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

- good size at 6' 3"
- good skater
- good vision

Bob has him rated at #6.
I'd be OK with Dobson, but from the little I saw of him he wasn't that physical. You can draft for size and physicality in the later rounds. Draft the best player available period, no matter the size.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

- good size at 6' 3"
- good skater
- good vision

Bob has him rated at #6.

I like Dobson so if we could get him I would be happy as I posted a bit ago.

BT or OW would be great as well.

In regards to Hughes, Bob did say he was smallish but he also said he was fearless, take that for what it is worth. I don't think he he a pure Bowman type as he is not that responsible defensively. I would think Boqvist could be more Bowman than Hughes.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

In regards to Hughes, Bob did say he was smallish but he also said he was fearless, take that for what it is worth. I don't think he he a pure Bowman type as he is not that responsible defensively. I would think Boqvist could be more Bowman than Hughes.
What works in Hughes' favour though is he's a college player which the Hawks love. Also has played with Kane, DCat, Murphy, and Oesterle so you can see how he'd fit in the system. Also received a ringing endorsement from Kane so that's gotta have some influence.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What works in Hughes' favour though is he's a college player which the Hawks love. Also has played with Kane, DCat, Murphy, and Oesterle so you can see how he'd fit in the system. Also received a ringing endorsement from Kane so that's gotta have some influence.

Hawks have drafted all over the board early so the "college" benefit isn't really true.

TT-Euro
McNeil-CHL
Hartman-CHL
Philip D-CHL
HJ-CHL
Schmaltz- College
Hayes- College

If it comes down to Dobson, BT, OW, or Hughes I would hope that the Hawks would take Dobson, BT, or OW first. Hughes will not be able to play defense like he does on U of M in the NHL.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Its a good problem to have but I’m curious who they go with if say Wahlstrom or Hughes is there. Like you said, Hughes played with Kane and possibly gave some feedback to Stan. Wahlstrom can make a case without any feedback. Hawks need another sniper and he seems more than physically ready to step in now and contribute in a top 9 role.
I'm happy either way but I think it makes more sense to go with Hughes. There are no LHD in our system that have top pairing potential. Perhaps Forsling or Carlsson, but that's best case scenario with those guys. You can fix the sniper issue by grabbing someone like Berggren, Foudy, Hallander or Iskhakov at 27.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm happy either way but I think it makes more sense to go with Hughes. There are no LHD in our system that have top pairing potential. Perhaps Forsling or Carlsson, but that's best case scenario with those guys. You can fix the sniper issue by grabbing someone like Berggren, Foudy, Hallander or Iskhakov at 27.

Just like you can grab a LHD at 27.

Drafting for need is a bad idea.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Dan Bylsma - Ex Stanley Cup champion coach - and asst coach to team USA at the Worlds just said on NHL Tonight that Hughes will not be around after pick #9, and he thinks he can jump right away to the NHL...the guy coached him at the World Championships and came away absolutely impressed by Hughes on and off the ice. How the kid handled the pressure of being the only 18 year old out there was beyond impressive. He said he has a bit of a chip on his block as well, he doesn't let people get to him and plays with an attitude and confidence far above his age.

Depending on what team gets Hughes, I agree with Bylsma, kid could legitimately turn pro which would destroy yet another horrible narrative out there..Those assuming he is too small even though he has already proven he can play against men..(not meant for you BK, just went along with what you said about Hughes)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Just like you can grab a LHD at 27.

Drafting for need is a bad idea.
I'm not saying draft for need at 8. Hughes is #3 in my rankings so he's BPA if available at 8. I'm just saying if they want a forward at 27, that's when it's okay to draft for need and there are plenty of options.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
too soon for him, we need to find a way to move up and get a 2nd rounder to nab this kid...moving out AA or getting Darling and maybe Hurricanes 2nd rounder makes sense, we need an early 2nd rounder to nab another top prospect

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I once feared we wouldn't get Wahlstrom, now I think teams are over thinking things and this kid lands right in our lap...
Yeah no kidding. I've seen many mocks that have him drop to the Rangers. Bizarre considering he arguably has the best shot in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad