Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Without PP time, and in a shutdown role- McGregor 5v5 Ppg= .5
Other OHL U19's (non shutdown C's and Ws)
Alex Formenton =.6
Isaac Ratcliife= .58
Ryan McLeod =.54

Some high profile U18's
Dellandrea =.45
Hayton=.56

High Profile U20s
Jonathan Ang .58
Max Jones .58
Givani Smith .52

Gotta look deeper than 1st page of EP, PP is normally a huge chunk of any CHL players stats and he's simply not getting the time. He's by no means pulling a Frost, but he's also a 6th round project. They don't have to set the world on fire to considered legitimate prospects trending the right way. Look for him to leap up our prospect ranking next year with another off season of weight gain and an expanded role.

I hear what you are saying. But if Freddy the goat can go PPG in the CHL and pretty much will not make the NHL now, its a massive longshot a 19yr old with a career high 32 points will be anything either. We will see I hope he comes good he is a leaf prospect but, players who don't score in junior rarely seem to make it in the NHL.

Ryan McLeod is over ppg and is in his draft -1? or are those stats taking away their pp points?

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I see he leads the poll but no one is talking about Merkley. Not in the last few days anyway. I'll admit I haven't been following the draft rankings a lot this year. Like not at all so I'm all ears. I've read he's immature but I think if all times in the leafs history now is the time to take a chance and just draft for upside. We'll be fine if it doesn't work out but I think we'd at least have a tradable asset if we don't like his behaviour.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I hear what you are saying. But if Freddy the goat can go PPG in the CHL and pretty much will not make the NHL now, its a massive longshot a 19yr old with a career high 32 points will be anything either. We will see I hope he comes good he is a leaf prospect but, players who don't score in junior rarely seem to make it in the NHL.

Ryan McLeod is over ppg and is in his draft -1? or are those stats taking away their pp points?

5v5 points per game. He's scoring as/ almost as much @ evens as lot of universally recognized very good prospects his age and older, is better than them at at several key aspects of the game, and still very physically underdeveloped and in the process of filling out (went from 6'159 to 6'1 173). Not his fault he was on a stacked team not getting PP time.

Btw, Gauthier as a 6'5 225 lb man child in the weaker Q was .61 5v5 in his U19 year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
5v5 points per game. He's scoring as/ almost as much @ evens as lot of universally recognized very good prospects his age and older. That's the point, he's just didn't get the PP time this year.

ok right, I was sure I misreading it. Thanks. Well in that light it has been a pretty good season for him. Why has he not been given pp time who else is on that team keeping him off it? at least 6 other forwards possibly 8 depending on pp system they use. Surely his coaches must know he is scoring pretty well 5 on 5 and that should have got him pp time. playing PP and PK isn't unheard of in junior

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
ok right, I was sure I misreading it. Thanks. Well in that light it has been a pretty good season for him. Why has he not been given pp time who else is on that team keeping him off it? at least 6 other forwards possibly 8 depending on pp system they use. Surely his coaches must know he is scoring pretty well 5 on 5 and that should have got him pp time. playing PP and PK isn't unheard of in junior

Haven't watched a Sarnia game recently so I can't remember their exact PP but they are a deep, veteran team up front with Kyrou, Ruzicka, Ang, and Rymsha leading the charge and even guys like Salinitri and Ernst are decent for the OHL level. May not be household names except for the drafted ones, but there's a reason they were 2nd in the league in points and goals for.

Reactions: firstemperor

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
the closer we get to the draft, I'm leaning towards going the tampa route. center and defense maybe add a goalie in a later round. but primarily just draft centers and defenders, of course if one of the shiny Russians are still in play you might grab a winger with the first round

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I see he leads the poll but no one is talking about Merkley. Not in the last few days anyway. I'll admit I haven't been following the draft rankings a lot this year. Like not at all so I'm all ears. I've read he's immature but I think if all times in the leafs history now is the time to take a chance and just draft for upside. We'll be fine if it doesn't work out but I think we'd at least have a tradable asset if we don't like his behaviour.
I don't think he'd hold much value by the time we'd want to move on. Look at the value the Lightning lose on Anthony DeAngelo. If he fails here his market is even smaller, as a bunch of teams will No-draft him, so you can't assume those teams that didn't want him then, would want him now.

I also think his upside and skill is dramatically overrated. He only really shines on the PP in the Marner role. He has great highlights and counting stats, but watch 5 games of him and you will see why he is frustrating as hell before you even get into the personality concerns. Even if he was a winger his defensive habits would be bad. He can often be the 4th or 5th man back after his own turnover, he's slow to change, etc.

I keep on seeing the narrative we should gamble on kids with a questionable character because we have the infrastructure to fix them. I find this a questionable belief. I'd be more inclined to believe that smart organizations know when to stay away. It is not like ignoring character concerns has worked out well for the Isles, Rangers or Canucks.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think he'd hold much value by the time we'd want to move on. Look at the value the Lightning lose on Anthony DeAngelo. If he fails here his market is even smaller, as a bunch of teams will No-draft him, so you can't assume those teams that didn't want him then, would want him now.

I also think his upside and skill is dramatically overrated. He only really shines on the PP in the Marner role. He has great highlights and counting stats, but watch 5 games of him and you will see why he is frustrating as hell before you even get into the personality concerns. Even if he was a winger his defensive habits would be bad. He can often be the 4th or 5th man back after his own turnover, he's slow to change, etc.

I keep on seeing the narrative we should gamble on kids with a questionable character because we have the infrastructure to fix them. I find this a questionable belief. I'd be more inclined to believe that smart organizations know when to stay away. It is not like ignoring character concerns has worked out well for the Isles, Rangers or Canucks.
The more I've read about him over the last 6 months or so the more I've soured on using any picks in the first few rounds on him. He has talent but he's a huge project as a player. Add in how immature he is and you realise how much of a longshot he really is. I'd much rather see Hunter gamble on a more unknown Russian or reach on the pick. Let teams who love toxic personalities like the Islanders take him. I get the feeling that by next season we'll be hearing about more issues with Merkley. The Leafs don't need to swing for the fences anymore, just keep adding to the system, restock it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The more I've read about him over the last 6 months or so the more I've soured on using any picks in the first few rounds on him. He has talent but he's a huge project as a player. Add in how immature he is and you realise how much of a longshot he really is. I'd much rather see Hunter gamble on a more unknown Russian or reach on the pick. Let teams who love toxic personalities like the Islanders take him. I get the feeling that by next season we'll be hearing about more issues with Merkley. The Leafs don't need to swing for the fences anymore, just keep adding to the system, restock it.

No more Vladislav Kara types though, I get obscure, but christ lol.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he got some KHL time he must have been doing something right even though his numbers are pretty brutal overall

Doesn't scream like someone that wouldn't have been there rounds 6-7 to be honest.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd agree with you on that but if he's your guy you may as well just take him and believe in your scouting staff

I guess so. A lot of the recent obscure or overage picks haven't shown a lot but it's early yet I suppose.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I guess so. A lot of the recent obscure or overage picks haven't shown a lot but it's early yet I suppose.

They tend to be taking those guys with later picks so the hit rate was never going to be particularly pretty

I don't have an issue if they see something worth trying most of those late picks aren't a great chance of working out anyway

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kara at least has control. We can see what he becomes and while 15 points in the VHL is not earth shattering, the guy was 19. It's not terrible. He's a center with some skill and is not soft.

At least he has some promise. 4th round was probably too early, but a lot of the other picks the Leafs have made in the 4th round or later in the past couple of years were a lot more confusing than him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kara at least has control. We can see what he becomes and while 15 points in the VHL is not earth shattering, the guy was 19. It's not terrible. He's a center with some skill and is not soft.

At least he has some promise. 4th round was probably too early, but a lot of the other picks the Leafs have made in the 4th round or later in the past couple of years were a lot more confusing than him.

I didn't exactly have any other names in mind when we picked Kara, it was just an odd pick. We have made some head scratchers historically though. Jamie Devane in the 3rd round *Face palm*

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I didn't exactly have any other names in mind when we picked Kara, it was just an odd pick. We have made some head scratchers historically though. Jamie Devane in the 3rd round *Face palm*

We've done some pretty average **** much higher in the draft than just the 3rd round in recent memory

Burkie loved him some pugnacious Gritty plugs in the 1st and 2nd rounds

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We've done some pretty average **** much higher in the draft than just the 3rd round in recent memory

Burkie loved him some pugnacious Gritty plugs in the 1st and 2nd rounds

I was very vocal in my dislike of the Gauthier pick. I think we've hit on most of our recent 1sts though, Gauthier, Biggs and Percy not withstanding our track record in the 1st is not terrible.

I also feel like we do alright in rounds 6 and 7.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I was very vocal in my dislike of the Gauthier pick. I think we've hit on most of our recent 1sts though, Gauthier, Biggs and Percy not withstanding our track record in the 1st is not terrible.

I also feel like we do alright in rounds 6 and 7.

Gauthier and Biggs were straight up bad but I wasn't unhappy with Percy, the kid was tracking well until he started to get injuries

I'd like to see us concentrate on skating and puck skills this draft especially in the first 3 rounds, we've got plenty of gigantic defenseman in the pipeline so i'd like to see some diversification

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gauthier and Biggs were straight up bad but I wasn't unhappy with Percy, the kid was tracking well until he started to get injuries

I'd like to see us concentrate on skating and puck skills this draft especially in the first 3 rounds, we've got plenty of gigantic defenseman in the pipeline so i'd like to see some diversification

Skating, hockey IQ and not-stone hands in defense seems to be the way to go.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Skating, hockey IQ and not-stone hands in defense seems to be the way to go.

Yep, swing for the fence in the 1st with a high upside pick even if it's risky and take some punts on high skill players later even if there not ideal size wise

I wanted Mete in his draft year so more of that type rather than the refrigerators we've had a hankering for recently

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yep, swing for the fence in the 1st with a high upside pick even if it's risky and take some punts on high skill players later even if there not ideal size wise

I wanted Mete in his draft year so more of that type rather than the refrigerators we've had a hankering for recently

Yeah, I wanted him too :(

I liked him more then Juolevi but apparently Juolevi is doing well overseas now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad