Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Willy's issues weren't made up, as much as they were an extension of his dad moving him from team to team and micromanaging. Everyone got to see that first hand when Sauga catered to him by hiring him to be the assistant so they could get Alex. Sauga would have loved to have had Alex back, but not the expense of dealing with Michael for another year.

I really advise anyone who wants Merkley to go watch 5 full games of him. He has good gifs and box-score. I'm not a plus minus fan, but the guy is a -69 over 2 full years in the OHL, and its absolutely reflective of his play and effort defensively.

ok but what you describe there aren't willy's issues are they? calling him a diva because his dad was/is too hands on is making up IMO. His Dad was the diva wanting to play on a line with him and shifting him around everywhere.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Nylander's dad could have also burned some bridges with hockey people, very much a old boys club enviornment- i.e. when he backed out of a deal he agreed upon with the Oilers for Washington as a UFA. Could have been his agent's fault though.

As per Merkley, a lot of people dislike him, like a large subset of his own junior fanbase. Some of it is expectations but a lot of it is brought onto him on his own, by his play/compete on the ice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ok but what you describe there aren't willy's issues are they? calling him a diva because his dad was/is too hands on is making up IMO. His Dad was the diva wanting to play on a line with him and shifting him around everywhere.
He liked to control the puck too much and played a bit of a selfish game. Mainly where he would take the puck and skate around in circles til he saw a great pass or shot, which didn't endear him to teammates. But most of the issues were his dad's making.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Luke Henman, an excellent late round pick. His faceoff % was through the roof after a very slow start. Finished close to 51% on the season. Needs to gain about 40 pounds but had a pretty good season.
Luke Henman

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Depressing to see there's currently a 50% chance Dahlin is drafted into our division, and an even better chance Tkachuck as well..

452120.jpg

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Luke Henman, an excellent late round pick. His faceoff % was through the roof after a very slow start. Finished close to 51% on the season. Needs to gain about 40 pounds but had a pretty good season.
Luke Henman

This is the kind of guy I want to take a chance on in the 4th/5th round etc... Decent production levels but clearly can add some physical size. 6'0 150lbs according to elite prospects but adding another 40lbs like you said would be a game changer for him.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Akil Thomas is still on the board at our selection, I'd find it hard to pass him up.

I'm getting Matt Barzal-lite vibes from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I want a center because when Freddie Gauthier is your top center prospect that is a problem that must be fixed.

I agree it is, BUT we have Matthews (20) and Kadri (27?) as top 2 c's Nylander can fill in for one of those 2 unless he moves to C full time and then our top 3 C's are 21,22 and 28 next year. As for 4C there are so many you can sign for not much more than the cost of an ELC anyway, but we also have Aaltonen (who is ahead of Gauthier imo). I think we should definatley target a couple in the draft but I don't think we need to go out of our way

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree it is, BUT we have Matthews (20) and Kadri (27?) as top 2 c's Nylander can fill in for one of those 2 unless he moves to C full time and then our top 3 C's are 21,22 and 28 next year. As for 4C there are so many you can sign for not much more than the cost of an ELC anyway, but we also have Aaltonen (who is ahead of Gauthier imo). I think we should definatley target a couple in the draft but I don't think we need to go out of our way

Oh I understand the youth we have, it's why I am not against trading the pick outright but the fact remains in terms of prospects there isn't much there, as for your 3rd line center spot I'd target Artem Amisimov

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think people are underrating Brooks, the kids been near PPG since given more time with Johnsson's absence. I think he easily becomes our 3rd C, or good 4C if Nylander plays C

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Think people are underrating Brooks, the kids been near PPG since given more time with Johnsson's absence. I think he easily becomes our 3rd C, or good 4C if Nylander plays C

If all he becomes is a 4th C then he's not needed those are easy to find.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I don't know about how other people see Brooks but he definitely looks better since he went to the wing and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
ISS top 31 for April. They still haven't boarded the Kravtsov hype train but Martin Kaut is up to 17 in their rankings.
ISS Hockey Releases ISS Top 31 for April, Rankings of the Top Prospects for 2018 NHL Draft - ISS Hockey
Some of these rankings I don't understand at all. Bernard-Docker at 23? Barrett Hayton at 12? Kupari over Kotkaniemi? Tkachuk at 4? Boqvist at 9? I also really am not a big fan of Serron Noel. The only thing I can really say I like about this list is that they did the right thing and removed Merkley from the first round.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
man I was watching Merkley's highlight and he is sooo good.

I really hope we take a chance on him. I heard he has attitude issues but so what? Who knows what goes on behind the scenes? There is always 2 sides to the story

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If Akil Thomas is still on the board at our selection, I'd find it hard to pass him up.

I'm getting Matt Barzal-lite vibes from him.

His skating doesn't seem to be close to the same stratosphere as Barzal's though and that's where the comparison ends for me. I think Barzal can cut it as a center because of his skating and ability to cover so much ground.....his skating is absolutely elite (particularly his edges). I'm not sold Akil has that...or even marginally close to that level of skating.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
man I was watching Merkley's highlight and he is sooo good.

I really hope we take a chance on him. I heard he has attitude issues but so what? Who knows what goes on behind the scenes? There is always 2 sides to the story

Have you noticed our number one priority with players? Attitude.

And I love it, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
ISS top 31 for April. They still haven't boarded the Kravtsov hype train but Martin Kaut is up to 17 in their rankings.
ISS Hockey Releases ISS Top 31 for April, Rankings of the Top Prospects for 2018 NHL Draft - ISS Hockey

No expert here, but three names that intrigue me on this list are close to where we will be drafting, I'll be curious to see if we move up to acquire one of them or if one is still available when we are at the table. Wilde, McLeod and Miller. (2 D and a C)

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I’m going to see Jacob Bernard-Docker if there is a game 7 in Okotoks, and if not, I will see him in the AJHL finals next week(end). Will give you guys the full scouting report shift by shift :)

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
If we can grab one of these with our 1st, I would be ecstatic.

Rasmus Sandin
Jett Woo
K'Andre MIller
Rasmus Kupari
Ty Dellandrea

All would be great picks, though Dellandrea might have minimal chance to drop to our 2nd...Not likely

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He liked to control the puck too much and played a bit of a selfish game. Mainly where he would take the puck and skate around in circles til he saw a great pass or shot, which didn't endear him to teammates. But most of the issues were his dad's making.

Right but being selfish and holding the puck too much isn’t being a “diva” is it? It’s a selfish player.

The diva tag was purely lazy scouting, obviously very simple level of checking would show his dad was too involved. Scouts didn’t do any real scouting of him saw that he moved a lot and called him a diva thinking this was all his own decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad