Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I just don't see it. He's big but doesn't use his size at all, and that's maybe the best compliment I can really give him.
You guys just don’t get it, would matthews or nyalnder be airtight options for 4c right now? No. It takes time to become elite, he needs time.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You guys just don’t get it, would matthews or nyalnder be airtight options for 4c right now? No. It takes time to become elite, he needs time.

Guys don't learn to become aggressive over time, you either have it or you don't. I'm sure Gauthier can get his footwork a little tighter and learn his positioning better with time, but he'll always be a reactive player instead of pushing the play forward. A softer slower Brian Boyle is his absolute ceiling IMO.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No Mikeyg I don't think you get it. Being picked 21st with a third/fourth line ceiling and not even being able to fill that role 5 years after your draft is the textbook definition of a bust. From 2014 onward absolutely we've hit on all of our first rounders though.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
No Mikeyg I don't think you get it. Being picked 21st with a third/fourth line ceiling and not even being able to fill that role 5 years after your draft is the textbook definition of a bust. From 2014 onward absolutely we've hit on all of our first rounders though.
oh my god the arguments on here have been terrible today. You guys are in such denial.... as soon as you started talking about where he was picked, I knew that you didn't know what you are talking about.

Do some research. Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value - Article - TSN

Pick 21 is on average, a fringe nhl player... and considering that he will most definitely be on the team next year and play, seems like we did over average with the pick in my eyes. You guys only think that high octane players who produce a lot constitute success, you have no idea about the value of shutdown players, NONE. Yet again, hf'ers are out of touch with reality when it comes to prospect statistics and development.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Guys don't learn to become aggressive over time, you either have it or you don't. I'm sure Gauthier can get his footwork a little tighter and learn his positioning better with time, but he'll always be a reactive player instead of pushing the play forward. A softer slower Brian Boyle is his absolute ceiling IMO.
What the hell are you talking about? aggressive? Do you not hear babs saying crap like "hes 6'5 on every shift tonight", my god i'm glad we didn't end up with someone like yak, this fanbase wouldn't have been able to handle it. The guy will be a player in the nhl, you just have to be patient. He was playing amazing hockey last year before that pos dotchin hit him, he'll get it back.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
oh my god the arguments on here have been terrible today. You guys are in such denial.... as soon as you started talking about where he was picked, I knew that you didn't know what you are talking about.

Do some research. Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value - Article - TSN

Pick 21 is on average, a fringe nhl player... and considering that he will most definitely be on the team next year and play, seems like we did over average with the pick in my eyes. You guys only think that high octane players who produce a lot constitute success, you have no idea about the value of shutdown players, NONE. Yet again, hf'ers are out of touch with reality when it comes to prospect statistics and development.
I wouldn't bet on it. He had his chance with Moore shitting the bed and he did so poorly he was sent back down and we traded for turtleneck. There is no reason to be happy about picking a bust at 21. I love how you have the nerve to we're in denial because we won't call a first rounder not even being able to play a fourth line role on our team 5 years after his draft a "hit".

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What the hell are you talking about? aggressive? Do you not hear babs saying crap like "hes 6'5 on every shift tonight", my god i'm glad we didn't end up with someone like yak, this fanbase wouldn't have been able to handle it. The guy will be a player in the nhl, you just have to be patient. He was playing amazing hockey last year before that pos dotchin hit him, he'll get it back.

He's 6'5 only in regards to his reach, he's one of the softest players on the team. Gauthier has never played "amazing" hockey, he has sometimes been alright in the AHL but he get absolutely buried at the NHL level so far.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He's 6'5 only in regards to his reach, he's one of the softest players on the team. Gauthier has never played "amazing" hockey, he has sometimes been alright in the AHL but he get absolutely buried at the NHL level so far.
im going to stop you right there. You literally just proved that you have no idea who the goat is. Pre dotchin he was playing great hockey, go do some research. Not wasting anymore time on you now when you clearly don't have any basis or grasp on the player or his challenges.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I wouldn't bet on it. He had his chance with Moore ****ting the bed and he did so poorly he was sent back down and we traded for turtleneck. There is no reason to be happy about picking a bust at 21. I love how you have the nerve to we're in denial because we won't call a first rounder not even being able to play a fourth line role on our team 5 years after his draft a "hit".
You are in denial... you are also largely ignorant about draft statistics... what else is there to say? You clearly don't like the player because you ERRONEOUSLY believe that #21 picks develop into auston matthews.... Then I show you the statistics to prove that you're wrong, and you don't want to listen.... what else is there to say? Go educate yourself?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
im going to stop you right there. You literally just proved that you have no idea who the goat is. Pre dotchin he was playing great hockey, go do some research. Not wasting anymore time on you now when you clearly don't have any basis or grasp on the player or his challenges.

You're right, my bad. Here's hoping he breaks 20 points in the AHL one day.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
You're right, my bad. Here's hoping he breaks 20 points in the AHL one day.
Oh boy, IDK why you choose to act like this. You can easily spend 5 minutes educating yourself and correcting your misunderstandings but instead you just put up this wall of dissonance defense and end up learning nothing.... oh well, can't save em all. I just have to ask, you are aware that we were never going to sign moore if goat was ready in top shape for camp right? or did you not know that?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You are in denial... you are also largely ignorant about draft statistics... what else is there to say? You clearly don't like the player because you ERRONEOUSLY believe that #21 picks develop into auston matthews.... Then I show you the statistics to prove that you're wrong, and you don't want to listen.... what else is there to say? Go educate yourself?
Did I ever say this? I don't remember that. I don't like the pick because it was a low upside pick that has failed to make the NHL even as a role player 5 years after the fact. I don't care if #21 picks don't usually make the show long term, we picked a player with low upside who as of now has failed to meet expectations. That is not being in denial and I do not need to educate myself. Sickening arrogance.

Reactions: stickty111

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Did I ever say this? I don't remember that. I don't like the pick because it was a low upside pick that has failed to make the NHL even as a role player 5 years after the fact. I don't care if #21 picks don't usually make the show long term, we picked a player with low upside who as of now has failed to meet expectations. That is not being in denial and I do not need to educate myself. Sickening arrogance.
lmao, man i'm not wasting anymore time on you, you don't want to listen, you don't want to learn, you don't want to be receptive... why post at all? you're simply wrong, have a great weekend :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Goat might be our spare forward next year or he might not be qualified. Not that impressive but when you pick in the 20's and go for a guy who "might" be a really good 3rd line centre if things work out, that is what happens. Centre depth in the organization kind of needs an overhaul, we're blessed with having Matthews and Kadri as our top 2 but it needs to get better. We shouldn't draft for need but the Leafs need to at least be aware of the issue (which I am sure they are)

Hopefully the Leafs can hit a home run in the draft but we'll see. Pretty sure we're likely to add one of the defenseman in the draft with our 1st.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I thought this thread was about the 2018 draft.
Your wish...

Leafs 1st - Jake Wise
SJS 2nd- Jonatan Berggren/ Bulat Shafigulin/ Cam Hillis / Blade Jenkins
SJS 3rd- Giovanni Vallati / Curtis Douglas
Leafs 4th- Yegor Sharangovich
Leafs 5th-Jakob Ragnarsson
Ducks 7th- Markus Bjork/ Billy Moskal/ Dennis Busby
Leafs 7th - Billy Moskal/Dennis Busby

edit- upon 2nd look the Sharangovich and Ragnarsson slotting might be a touch greedy, probably bump everyone up a slot and not take Vallati/Douglas

Last edited:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My dream right now is to trade down with one of the teams (Wings, Habs, Rangers, Iles) with two early 2nds. Then take Dellandrea and McBain. I know this sounds too "safe" as both players' upside may be capped. And after the Gauthier experience, I can see why this would not be popular. And where we are in the rebuild, why not get the best skill available to cap it all off. But I feel you can never have enough centres with size. Very valuable commodity and we need centre depth.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i'm not against mcbain if hunter chooses him. i trust his scouting record in the first 2 rounds since the marner pick and think the lilje pick is bpa. not a fan of gordeev and mcgregor and middleson, and wish euro scout would listen more to bergmann, but other than that, no reason to question the first two rounds. we should still gun for top 6/top line, but we need good c in general the pipeline.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i wouldn't mind wise as well. there seems to be more options in the second this year. looks deeper than last year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hopefully we have a good draft. I think our draft last year is pretty mediocre outside of Liljegren and Rasanen looks decent but that's about it.

ian scott at least improved most of his numbers, that's a positive. But overall I agree, no standouts from 3rd round on not that there has to be but it is nice when someone goes on to improve significantly the next year

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
ian scott at least improved most of his numbers, that's a positive. But overall I agree, no standouts from 3rd round on not that there has to be but it is nice when someone goes on to improve significantly the next year

McGregor shifted to C full time, upped his production 50% (without PP time), became one of the best defensive C's in the OHL
Gordeev upped his production nearly 100%, made great strides in learning the game as a defenseman, was more than holding his own as a top pair guy by the end of the year
Kara graduated from Junior, earned KHL time, and put up almost as good of stats in the VHL this year as he did in MHL last

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
McGregor shifted to C full time, upped his production 50% (without PP time), became one of the best defensive C's in the OHL
Gordeev upped his production nearly 100%, made great strides in learning the game as a defenseman, was more than holding his own as a top pair guy by the end of the year
Kara graduated from Junior, earned KHL time, and put up almost as good of stats in the VHL this year as he did in MHL last

great news too, but all their progress really isn't much to get excited about. McGregor upped his play and still was only 32 points in 50 games. Gordeev almost double his points and still statically didn't really do much. Kara I don't get to watch Russian hockey so making the KHL is a great feat no matter what his stats are that is a positive

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Not sure if serious

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
great news too, but all their progress really isn't much to get excited about. McGregor upped his play and still was only 32 points in 50 games. Gordeev almost double his points and still statically didn't really do much. Kara I don't get to watch Russian hockey so making the KHL is a great feat no matter what his stats are that is a positive

Without PP time, and in a shutdown role- McGregor 5v5 Ppg= .5
Other OHL U19's (non shutdown C's and Ws)
Alex Formenton =.6
Isaac Ratcliife= .58
Ryan McLeod =.54

Some high profile U18's
Dellandrea =.45
Hayton=.56

High Profile U20s
Jonathan Ang .58
Max Jones .58
Givani Smith .52

Gotta look deeper than 1st page of EP, PP is normally a huge chunk of any CHL players stats and he's simply not getting the time. He's by no means pulling a Frost, but he's also a 6th round project. They don't have to set the world on fire to considered legitimate prospects trending the right way. Look for him to leap up our prospect ranking next year with another off season of weight gain and an expanded role.

Last edited:
Reactions: cookie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad