Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nice video collection..

2 pts today for Olofsson, my boy is at 4 pts in 7GP. I am a fan :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm on the K'Andre Miller bandwagon personally

I get the logic - if he works out he's going to be ridiculous.

There are quite a few picks out there that I have an interest in around our slot, basically unless we pick Merkley (we won't) - I am fine with whatever selection is made.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I get the logic - if he works out he's going to be ridiculous.

There are quite a few picks out there that I have an interest in around our slot, basically unless we pick Merkley (we won't) - I am fine with whatever selection is made.

I like the defensemen and potential wingers available much more than the centers

I was on the Olofsson bandwagon early but I've got doubts about him now and Groulx, McBain types don't really interest me in the 1st round

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like the defensemen and potential wingers available much more than the centers

I was on the Olofsson bandwagon early but I've got doubts about him now and Groulx, McBain types don't really interest me in the 1st round

I think given the various players available around our pick i'd probably go with a defenseman over a winger unless Denisenko or Kravstov were there, then it gets tough.

Olofsson is the only centre around our pick i'd consider. Everyone will want to see his U18 I am sure though.

Reactions: 95

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think given the various players available around our pick i'd probably go with a defenseman over a winger unless Denisenko or Kravstov were there, then it gets tough.

Olofsson is the only centre around our pick i'd consider. Everyone will want to see his U18 I am sure though.

Some of the Swedish posters that get a good look at Olofsson aren't huge fans and after watching his last international performance he was fairly bland, nothing jumped out that you could pin your hat on and say "that's NHL quality"

I'm defenseman or Russian winger, I'd take Miller since I'm a believer in taking potential upside in the 1st round

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some of the Swedish posters that get a good look at Olofsson aren't huge fans and after watching his last international performance he was fairly bland, nothing jumped out that you could pin your hat on and say "that's NHL quality"

I'm defenseman or Russian winger, I'd take Miller since I'm a believer in taking potential upside in the 1st round

Haven't seen Miller. Everyone says he has all these tools and massive upside. Does he have the toolbox (hockey iq?) to do it?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Haven't seen Miller. Everyone says he has all these tools and massive upside. Does he have the toolbox (hockey iq?) to do it?

His tools are pretty exciting, he's got a blend of size skating and shot that could make him really good if he can get it together, I'm not sure he can but in the mid 20's I'm willing to roll the dice

He's not getting PP time either which is keeping his points totals down

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His tools are pretty exciting, he's got a blend of size skating and shot that could make him really good if he can get it together, I'm not sure he can but in the mid 20's I'm willing to roll the dice

He's not getting PP time either which is keeping his points totals down

Does he read the play well? Defend? The "if he can put it all together" scares me because that usually says the hockey IQ / Tool box is questionable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Does he read the play well? Defend? The "if he can put it all together" scares me because that usually says the hockey IQ / Tool box is questionable.

His defensive play is really good especially in the neutral zone, good instincts, good stick, good gap control, rubs guys out well and that's with some very offensively minded partners so he's doing some heavy lifting

The only question I have with him is what his points totals are going to do because defending isn't an issue and won't be with his instincts and skating

He's only going at around half a point per game but because he's not getting PP time and he's being forced into the "defensive conscience" for his pair roll I think he's going to put up points with more offensive opportunities

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His defensive play is really good especially in the neutral zone, good instincts, good stick, good gap control, rubs guys out well and that's with some very offensively minded partners so he's doing some heavy lifting

The only question I have with him is what his points totals are going to do because defending isn't an issue and won't be with his instincts and skating

He's only going at around half a point per game but because he's not getting PP time and he's being forced into the "defensive conscience" for his pair roll I think he's going to put up points with more offensive opportunities

Sounds great let's do it. Dermott is getting no PP time right now and going at a 30 pt pace. Sounds like a similar situation where he's doing well but not in a position to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
ive seen a lot of mocks updated lately. and most still have senko and krav going from 20-30. so there's hope in that. but till viable people start releasing there mocks its really hard to say what's going to happen. but we have seen it over the last few years where teams don't really take stock in what players did in short bursts. hell look as far back as when Chicago won the cup and drafted saad or when they took alex d'cat

so its really hard to tell where we will draft and who might still be there. but I'm just hoping it ends up like cake

Reactions: Morgs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sounds great let's do it. Dermott is getting no PP time right now and going at a 30 pt pace. Sounds like a similar situation where he's doing well but not in a position to succeed.

That's a pretty fair way of looking at it, like Dermott the kid can skate with a cannon of a shot and good passing ability

Except Miller is 6'3 and 206lb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's only played defense since he was 15. Great gap control and is aggressive (which tend to be natural instincts and hard to teach), but he can get caught puck watching (a fixable trait on young defenders). Here is Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect talking about him early in the season. It starts at the 9:18 mark. Its a bit outdated, but keep in mind, Miller has risen since this interview with multiple viewings since. Mark also coached a bunch of D, some of who are currently in the NHL.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's only played defense since he was 15. Great gap control and is aggressive (which tend to be natural instincts and hard to teach), but he can get caught puck watching (a fixable trait on young defenders). Here is Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect talking about him early in the season. It starts at the 9:18 mark. Its a bit outdated, but keep in mind, Miller has risen since this interview with multiple viewings since. Mark also coached a bunch of D, some of who are currently in the NHL.

Sounds fantastic. You might have sold me on someone else. Now Dobson, Denisenko have already probably went out of our reach, if Miller gets out of our reach, I am going to be sad lol.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sounds fantastic. You might have sold me on someone else. Now Dobson, Denisenko have already probably went out of our reach, if Miller gets out of our reach, I am going to be sad lol.
Miller has such a wide variance right now. He could go close to 15 or he could slip to 30 something. Considering out most likely spot to pick is 25 right now, he should be in our range, but he could easily go a couple spots ahead. Its why picking in the 20's you can't get way too focused on one guy. All it takes is some team loving the same player as you. Last year we lucked out with the player we wanted slipping to 17. But, I also liked players like Suzuki and Andersson who at one point looked like realistic options. One went 7 and the other at 13.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Miller has such a wide variance right now. He could go close to 15 or he could slip to 30 something. Considering out most likely spot to pick is 25 right now, he should be in our range, but he could easily go a couple spots ahead. Its why picking in the 20's you can't get way too focused on one guy. All it takes is some team loving the same player as you. Last year we lucked out with the player we wanted slipping to 17. But, I also liked players like Suzuki and Andersson who at one point looked like realistic options. One went 7 and the other at 13.

Yeah, usually i'll have a few that I have interest in around the pick

Last year it was Valimaki, Liljegren and Hague.

This year it's the Russian wingers (but realistically not expecting them to be there), Kaut, Miller, Samuelsson and Lundqkvist. Sadly I don't get to bury myself in the draft like I did the last couple of years. Damn night shift, I am hoping next year is different.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I hope we go for a blend of the 2015 and 2016 draft approaches. Our 2015 Draft isnt actually looking amazing now after Marner and Dermott (who are excellent and make up for it) as it looks like Bracco may be the only other guy with an NHL future. In saying this, it was the better approach than 2016. Pretty much all our late round picks are already nothing from 2016. However, I did really like the Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom and Brooks picks.

I say we try to start of the draft with BPA in round 1, some more surefire guys in rounds 2 and 3 and then go for the boom/bust guys in rounds 4-7 (like we did in 2015).

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I hope we go for a blend of the 2015 and 2016 draft approaches. Our 2015 Draft isnt actually looking amazing now after Marner and Dermott (who are excellent and make up for it) as it looks like Bracco may be the only other guy with an NHL future. In saying this, it was the better approach than 2016. Pretty much all our late round picks are already nothing from 2016. However, I did really like the Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom and Brooks picks.

I say we try to start of the draft with BPA in round 1, some more surefire guys in rounds 2 and 3 and then go for the boom/bust guys in rounds 4-7 (like we did in 2015).
I agree. While some later round picks from 2015 don't seem to be working out so far, they went for BSA. Best Skill Available. I like the Korshkov and Grundstrom picks, but most of the picks from 2016 and 2017 seem like fridge picks. Yes you can always use fridges, but in today's game skill wins out.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
All of these names really make me think we should just trade down. None of them impress me enough to stand out for an early-mid 20's pick more than just trading down and getting two of the "left-overs" from the group. I don't think we are talking about a game-changer being available this year for our pick, and there are good role players all the way down into the 2nd round IMO. If there was a team with a couple of high 2nd's they are willing to give for our 1st, I'd probably take it. We could shore up our defense and center depth before we get out of the top 90.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Dominik Bokk isn't getting enough recognition here.

He's intriguing but like Button, I can't attest to him because I haven't seen him play in any remote meaningful context.

As per Miller, I'm probably his biggest advocate right now, practically speaking. But things can change come draft time (like when Laine went on that playoff tear prior to the draft). I just think his raw tools/skill are the total package. He skates well for his size (he's a better skater than a big forward like Noel, IMO). He has forward skills (probably because he used to play forward) and he hasn't been given an opportune chance to produce yet.He has good edges for his size and knows how to use his shoulder/frame to shield the puck while entering the zone with speed. This is an important skill for new-age, PMD IMO, it's something that a guy like say, Bozak lacks.

He seems to have a great attitude about hitting the gym and rounding out his overall game as well, this type of temperament should be seen as a positive. He is no Seth Jones, but he was one of the more impressive prospects to me when I watched him recently....there's definitely small shades/glimpses of Jones in him. Jones has pretty much developed into a behemoth, as soon as he picks up speed with his frame through the neutral zone, he's near-impossible to knock off stride. Miller is definitely high-risk and going to be a huge project but his skills are far more advanced than a guy like Greenway. I have reservations about the Badgers as a development route for him, mostly anecdotal qualms...but the upside in him is probably too much for me to overlook.

I'm always an advocate for going for the fences for high-end talent in general but now is an opportune time......we have a number of D prospects, and while we are weak on the right side, it's starting to become an oversaturation of potential ~top 4 guys but size, high-end skill are perpetual issues. In a competitive league, there is no replacement for elite talent...I think Miller has that ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad