Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Im all aboard the Hughes train, personally. His skating and overall skill is phenomenal. We need a talented guy on defense.

In terms of D I go Dahlin>boqvist>Hughes>bouchard
I think it’s likely in a scenario if we were to pick 4th overall and before us it goes 1. Dahlin 2. Svechnikov 3. Zadina, it’s likely we go with Hughes. I feel like management would like him cause he’s a U of M kid. I like Hughes a lot too, but if I’m at 4th overall with Boqvist available I take him and go for the home run.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think it’s likely in a scenario if we were to pick 4th overall and before us it goes 1. Dahlin 2. Svechnikov 3. Zadina, it’s likely we go with Hughes. I feel like management would like him cause he’s a U of M kid. I like Hughes a lot too, but if I’m at 4th overall with Boqvist available I take him and go for the home run.

It is highly unlikely that we pick 4th.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I’m just saying. I think the first 3 picks are pretty obvious picks, after that it could change a lot. Where do you see us picking? I could see us getting top 3 TBH.

I'm no mathematician, but if we finish 4th last, like we currently are, the most likely position we draft would be:

-5th
-3rd
-6th
-2nd
-1st
-7th
-4th

The only way we pick 4th (if we finish 28th, ahead of ARI/BUF/VAN) is if those 3 teams all win the lottery, keeping us at 4, otherwise a team behind us wins a top 3 selection, bumping us down to 5 or 6.

If you run the lottery 20 times on tankathon, you probably won't get us picking 4th at any point, it's mathematically unlikely.

EDIT: Just for fun, I ran the lottery until it resulted at us picking 4th, and it took me 28 tries.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bouchard and McIsaac with our first 2 picks would be kinda nice.

I could see a top 4 in 2 years that looks like:

Cholowski-Bouchard
McIsaac-Hronek

Could be a solid new d core.

I am a bit surprised by your choice of McIsaac given your consistent criticism of Wright not putting enough emphasis on skill and upside.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I sub to McKeens.
They've been a little slow with their player reports this year and frankly, some of their analysis reads like a hockey fan writing like a fanboy
I don't want fanboy garbage like you get on NHLdraftsite or whatever that is.

What do you recommend as a good paid service? What do you get an how much does it cost.
One of the things I like about McKeens is the draft publication, where they rank the top 5 skaters, top 5 faceoff guys, etc etc etc., along with the profiles.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am a bit surprised by your choice of McIsaac given your consistent criticism of Wright not putting enough emphasis on skill and upside.

As a late 1st? I don’t know I would agree he lacks upside, I think he’s a good candidate to break out in his +1 season. I think he has good tools and I think we need a good all-around LD with size. He checks those boxes.

If not McIsaac, I would be good with M Samuelsson, K Miller, or Alexeyev.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm no mathematician, but if we finish 4th last, like we currently are, the most likely position we draft would be:

-5th
-3rd
-6th
-2nd
-1st
-7th
-4th

The only way we pick 4th (if we finish 28th, ahead of ARI/BUF/VAN) is if those 3 teams all win the lottery, keeping us at 4, otherwise a team behind us wins a top 3 selection, bumping us down to 5 or 6.

If you run the lottery 20 times on tankathon, you probably won't get us picking 4th at any point, it's mathematically unlikely.

EDIT: Just for fun, I ran the lottery until it resulted at us picking 4th, and it took me 28 tries.
If we finish 4th, the odds are actually:

6th: 35.5%
5th: 23.8%
7th: 9.9%
3rd: 9.6%
2nd: 9.5%
1st: 9.5%
4th: 2.3%

Kind of sad odds. ~30% to be in the top 3, but over 60% to drop.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
if we pick 2nd/3rd, would you guys like to trade down to 4-6 and grab a dman instead of a winger? Most of the dman after dahlin are more-or-less interchangeable, we'd still get a great player.

I'd still love to draft Svech or Zadina and wouldnt do it unless a team desperate for offense gave us an offer we couldn't refuse, just want to hear what you guys think

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
if we pick 2nd/3rd, would you guys like to trade down to 4-6 and grab a dman instead of a winger? Most of the dman after dahlin are more-or-less interchangeable, we'd still get a great player.

I'd still love to draft Svech or Zadina and wouldnt do it unless a team desperate for offense gave us an offer we couldn't refuse, just want to hear what you guys think
Like you said if it’s an offer we can’t refuse than I’m okay with it and I know those guys are wingers but it’s becoming painfully obvious that we need someone to finish off plays so with how far we are away I draft svech/Zadina unless an offer knocks our socks off

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
McIsaac isn't *that* bad. He had 47 points. That's .72 PPG, which is just a hair less than what Chychrun put up in his draft year.

Really, he's considerably more skilled than any defenseman the Wings took last year.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
McIsaac or Lundkvist? McIsaac was once talked about as a top 10 pick, but his stock has fallen this year with the emergence of other players in his draft year. Lundkvist on the other hand is a riser this year. :huh:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
There’s a distinct chance we wind up with a top 3 pick, and you have to think all of: Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina are all NHL ready. We’d have to make space for one of those guys.

Reactions: Christien

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
How much immediate impact do you all think Dahlin or Svechnikov would make? Obviously if you have the chance to draft them you take them but we need a few more years of drafting in the top 10. I guess that's a better problem to have than our current problems.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
How much immediate impact do you all think Dahlin or Svechnikov would make? Obviously if you have the chance to draft them you take them but we need a few more years of drafting in the top 10. I guess that's a better problem to have than our current problems.
Hopefully a massive impact want them to be elite players

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think we are in a bad spot, by the time any one we get in this draft will help the young guys we have now will be middle to late 20's are roll players will be on the bad side of 30. I see this taking a lot long than most do.

Christien

May 1, 2010
I feel like both players will have an immediate impact on our team, but one good player won’t change everything. There is still so many trash players on our roster. I would love to start next season with Dahlin or Svechnikov and a new head coach.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think we are in a bad spot, by the time any one we get in this draft will help the young guys we have now will be middle to late 20's are roll players will be on the bad side of 30. I see this taking a lot long than most do.

I think we're going to have a surge in 3 years or so, when cholowski, Hronek, saarijarvi, svech, Rasmussen, and this years picks start to make a big impact. AA, Mantha, Bert will be 27 or so in their prime, Larkin will be 24-25 in his peak.

How big of a surge that will be will depend on how our prospects develop, whether we land Dahlin or 7th overall, etc

Reactions: mantha39

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
As a late 1st? I don’t know I would agree he lacks upside, I think he’s a good candidate to break out in his +1 season. I think he has good tools and I think we need a good all-around LD with size. He checks those boxes.

If not McIsaac, I would be good with M Samuelsson, K Miller, or Alexeyev.

That is fair. I do get that he has appeal late in the first round. He has always struck me, however, as a bit pedestrian with the puck whenever I have watched him. I do like his mobility and size though. Personally I would grab Alexeyev or role the bones with Miller before him, but that is just me.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
New list from Button
Stolen from prospects board
Craig's List: Bouchard rocketing up draft board - Article - TSN

1 Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
7 Barrett Hayton S.S. Marie (OHL) C
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C
11 Bode Wilde USA NTDP (USHL) D
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D
13 Rasmus Kupari Kärpät (SM Liiga) C
14 Grigori Denisenko Yaroslavl (MHL) LW
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW
16 Serron Noel Oshawa (OHL) RW
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW
18 Rasmus Sandin S.S. Marie (OHL) D
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D
20 Akil Thomas Niagara (OHL) RW
21 Jacob Olofsson Timra (SWE-Als) C
22 Jack McBain Toronto (OJHL) C
23 Filip Hallander Timra (SWE-Als) C/LW
24 Jared McIsaac Halifax (QMJHL) D
25 Nicolas Beaudin Drummondville (QMJHL) D
26 Ryan Merkley Guelph (OHL) D
27 Joe Veleno Drummondville (QMJHL) C
28 Mattias Samuelsson USA NTDP (USHL) D
29 Albin Eriksson Skellefteå (SWE J20) LW
30 Ryan McLeod Mississuaga (OHL) C/LW
31 Benoît-Olivier Groulx Halifax (QMJHL) C

Craig seems to be getting cold feet on the small defensemen.
Boqvist at 6
Hughes at 12
Smith at 19

Nouchard at 5 and 8. Wilde at 11.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
New list from Button

Boqvist at 6
Hughes at 12
Smith at 19

God I hope we get Veleno with the Vegas pick. Him or merkley would be unbelievable with that pick

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
New list from Button

Boqvist at 6
Hughes at 12
Smith at 19

What on earth have Tkachuk and Hayton done lately to get those rankings? Sounds suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad