Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Most of our scouts are just not good. We need to throw bank vaults at the guys Nashville have to get them to come over here. Easier said than done, I know.

I am not so sure its a scouting problem as so much it is a philosophical one.

They need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel or outsmart everyone else.

Stop reaching

Just draft the guy everyone suspected woukd go in or around your position. Dont draft the 145th ranked guy at 40

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think we're really overstating any problems with Bouchard's skating. He has stuff to work on, but he doesn't have anything that looks like it's going to be a lasting issue. If anything, he's getting unfair criticism because he's the worst skater in a defense group filled with really, really good skaters. It doesn't mean he's bad. He's not.

I think you are falling in love with a prospect and looking past some warts. His skating is average. Average is not good, average is not elite, average is average. Hell, his skating will need to improve to be even average at the next level. Explosiveness and athleticism are very, very difficult to improve in a relative sense. I love his passing but you still need to get to pucks before you can move them. The longer it takes to get to it, the less time you will have to move it. Now maybe his passing skill and IQ will make this less of an issue, but I would rather have too much time than too little.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dobson has great skating and a pretty average shot. Bouchard has a great shot and pretty average skating. Both are very good at moving the puck. It just depends what you are looking for, really.

Reactions: jkutswings

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Here’s my targets:
Filip Hallander F
JBD D
Jett Woo D
Mitchell Hoelscher F
Cam Hillis F
Blake McLaughlin F
Eric Florchuk F
Riley Damiani F
Justin Almeida F
Jacob Ragnarsson D
Jakub Lauko F
Alec Regula D
Jacob Sharek G
Jack Randl F
Jonny Tychonick D
Jack Lagerstrom D
Nils Lundkvist D
Juuso Ketola D
Ty Emberson D
Jonatan Berggren F
Brendan Budy F
Ruslan Iskhakov F
Caleb Everett D
Blade Jenkins F
Niklas Nordgren F
Marcus Wesfalt F
Jacob Semik D
Karel Plasek F
Kristian Kovacik F
Nathan Dunkley F
Alex Steeves F
Travis Mitchell D
Chase Wouters F
Liam Foudy F
Dennis Busby F

Just a few of my favorites, as I scout from my couch on my phone lol

Christien

May 1, 2010
Here’s my targets:
Filip Hallander F
JBD D
Jett Woo D
Mitchell Hoelscher F
Cam Hillis F
Blake McLaughlin F
Eric Florchuk F
Riley Damiani F
Justin Almeida F
Jacob Ragnarsson D
Jakub Lauko F
Alec Regula D
Jacob Sharek G
Jack Randl F
Jonny Tychonick D
Jack Lagerstrom D
Nils Lundkvist D
Juuso Ketola D
Ty Emberson D
Jonatan Berggren F
Brendan Budy F
Ruslan Iskhakov F
Caleb Everett D
Blade Jenkins F
Niklas Nordgren F
Marcus Wesfalt F
Jacob Semik D
Karel Plasek F
Kristian Kovacik F
Nathan Dunkley F
Alex Steeves F
Travis Mitchell D
Chase Wouters F
Liam Foudy F
Dennis Busby F

Just a few of my favorites, as I scout from my couch on my phone lol
I’m a big fan of Nils Lundkvist. Wouldn’t mind taking him with our late first but if we could get him with our early 2nd I’d be thrilled.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’m a big fan of Nils Lundkvist. Wouldn’t mind taking him with our late first but if we could get him with our early 2nd I’d be thrilled.
Yeah he’s flying up the draft boards. Recently saw a 1st round grade on him. Kinda like a Boqvist/brannstrom type

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
In our past two drafts we've drafted 10 D, 5 Forwards, and 1 G. We need forwards too - outside of Svech and Rasmussen, do we have any top 9 potential outside of the NHL?

For the record, I want either a D or one of the 4 Forwards I like early in the first, likely a D with 3 of the forwards being top 5. Bouchard would be great.

We currently have Larkin/Mantha/AA/Bert/Svech/Rasmussen all under 25. Unless we're getting an elite forward, we need defenders.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I am not so sure its a scouting problem as so much it is a philosophical one.

They need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel or outsmart everyone else.

Stop reaching

Just draft the guy everyone suspected woukd go in or around your position. Dont draft the 145th ranked guy at 40

Who did they reach on that hasnt worked out? Bertuzzi is the only guy that fits that mold and he appears to be working out very well. Tyler Wright has had some good picks in his short time as wings head scout, and hes drafting in a way that while some may have a problem with the philosophy, he seems to be producing NHLers at a decent clip. Way too early to judge most ofhis drafting though

Reactions: mjtm777

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Who did they reach on that hasn't worked out?
...while some may have a problem with the philosophy, he seems to be producing NHLers at a decent clip.
I have concerns about Wright, that I think can be found somewhere within these excerpts. What this team needs most right now isn't a further abundance of guys that safely make the NHL, but impactful players that drive the play at the NHL level, and I don't see anybody besides Larkin that I'd say either is there now, or realistically could one day fit that description.

As you stated, I worry that it's the philosophy, which sets the bar too low, in order to check all the boxes for avoiding a bust, and, when taken to the extreme, is just making sure they keep having warm bodies to reliably fill a slot.

Now obviously he hasn't used that approach on every pick. But the two definitive things tied to Wright thus far - the reasoning behind the Rasmussen pick, and the comments about the picks from that draft being used to keep training camp competitive - absolutely scream red flags to me.

If I had to choose right now, I'd want a whole new scouting staff to go with a new GM this April. But we'll see if Wright says or does anything to impress me between now and the draft lottery.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We currently have Larkin/Mantha/AA/Bert/Svech/Rasmussen all under 25. Unless we're getting an elite forward, we need defenders.
Idk, if you think that is an impressive list go look at some other teams U25 players. That's a pretty middling group

My whole point with my original quote is that if we keep disproportionately drafting defenders then we're going to regret it at one point. It's impossible to sign 16 defenseman from 3 drafts.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Idk, if you think that is an impressive list go look at some other teams U25 players. That's a pretty middling group

My whole point with my original quote is that if we keep disproportionately drafting defenders then we're going to regret it at one point. It's impossible to sign 16 defenseman from 3 drafts.
Let's play out a hypothetical scenario. I'll use arbitrary probabilities, just so the math is easy.

Let's say Detroit does well above average with drafting forwards, and a given pick has a 60% chance at being at least a steady NHL player. But they're behind the curve on defensemen, and a given pick on D only stands a 20% chance at being at least a steady NHL player.

If, over 3 drafts, they pick 15 defensemen and 3 forwards, that would (hypothetically, according to those probabilities) result in 2 forwards (slightly rounding up) and 3 defensemen staying on the roster of the big club.

I agree that the balance shouldn't tilt so far that the cupboard gets dusty at forward, or that any potentially elite forwards get passed over for a lesser ceiling of talent on defense. But I have zero issues with taking more blue liners overall - they're harder to get right, and more valuable to have once they pan out.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Where are all these D draft picks going to play? GRG only has so many spots for D. Anyway, IMHO when rebuilding you take the best possible players high in the draft. Take the impact player over positional need. Scouts put players in brackets (ex. this year 1-4 are impact, 5-10 nextgroup, etc) so you have some leeway as to position. If this year we are fortunate to get great forwards with in the 1st round, so be it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Who did they reach on that hasnt worked out? Bertuzzi is the only guy that fits that mold and he appears to be working out very well. Tyler Wright has had some good picks in his short time as wings head scout, and hes drafting in a way that while some may have a problem with the philosophy, he seems to be producing NHLers at a decent clip. Way too early to judge most ofhis drafting though

Werent some if our early pucks last year drafted well ahead of predraft rankings?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Werent some if our early pucks last year drafted well ahead of predraft rankings?

I think I remember Lindstrom being rated more as a 3rd rounder but nothing crazy out of line where people should go. I would also say its a little early to judge that draft. Really most of his drafts are too early to judge anything, hes only been with the wings for 4 and in that time has already drafted the wings best player in years at 15th. I dont think hes absolutely setting the world on fire but he looks like hes going to atleast produce solid NHLers.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Where are all these D draft picks going to play? GRG only has so many spots for D.

Eh. It has more spots if you can afford to bail on guys like Russo (who is apparently never going to be more than a 7D), McIlrath (who's not an NHL player), or Lashoff (who's not an NHL player).

You have more spots if you stop being terrified of putting younger players on your NHL roster, and start dumping guys like XO and Jensen when it becomes clear they're not more than bottom pairing players, and stop signing guys like Daley to stupid contracts or resigning guys like DDK to stupid contracts. Or when you're willing to be a bit more dispassionate with guys like Kronwall, and cut/trade/push him to retirement.

And the thing is, you don't have to do ALL of this. You can do any one part and suddenly have more space for talented kids you draft.

All that said, the team would then need a coach at each level who's capable of actually developing players. It's apparent that, at the least, that doesn't exist at the NHL level.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Eh. It has more spots if you can afford to bail on guys like Russo (who is apparently never going to be more than a 7D), McIlrath (who's not an NHL player), or Lashoff (who's not an NHL player).

You have more spots if you stop being terrified of putting younger players on your NHL roster, and start dumping guys like XO and Jensen when it becomes clear they're not more than bottom pairing players, and stop signing guys like Daley to stupid contracts or resigning guys like DDK to stupid contracts. Or when you're willing to be a bit more dispassionate with guys like Kronwall, and cut/trade/push him to retirement.

And the thing is, you don't have to do ALL of this. You can do any one part and suddenly have more space for talented kids you draft.

All that said, the team would then need a coach at each level who's capable of actually developing players. It's apparent that, at the least, that doesn't exist at the NHL level.
How is the Daley signing a stupid contract? It's one of the better things that has happened, for a number of reasons.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
How is the Daley signing a stupid contract? It's one of the better things that has happened, for a number of reasons.

In terms of the draft and the specific question, if you have an actual pipeline, it gives a spot to a mediocre player and takes away the ability to move a talented/cheap player up.

Happy to discuss the other 1,001 reasons I think it was a dumb signing in some other, more related, thread.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Eh. It has more spots if you can afford to bail on guys like Russo (who is apparently never going to be more than a 7D), McIlrath (who's not an NHL player), or Lashoff (who's not an NHL player).e to do ALL of this. You can do any one part and suddenly have more space for talented kids you draft.
It's not good for the development of prospects to get rid of all of your vets. You probably need at least 2 maybe 3 D vets at GRG. Having so many draft picks means the Wings will be more careful on who the sign, cut guys earlier, or draft college & overseas players if they need to stash them.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It's not good for the development of prospects to get rid of all of your vets. You probably need at least 2 maybe 3 D vets at GRG. Having so many draft picks means the Wings will be more careful on who the sign, cut guys earlier, or draft college & overseas players if they need to stash them.

I honestly don't buy that you need to waste half of your D spots (playing D spots, no less, not just scratches) on untalented vets, solely because they're vets. Maybe that's true if your prospect pool is as limp as the Wings', but if you have actual talent coming through, I think the 'veteran leadership' nonsense becomes obviously precisely that: nonsense.

That said, it's all immaterial as long as the team is drafting for training camp competition and employing the same group of people who can't seem to develop talented players once they show up in GR.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

It's a good supporting cast that lacks the elite talent, (Unless Larkin continues to develop well) which is the reason I qualified the statement with, "Unless we're getting an elite forward". We don't need any more middle 6 guys, we're set there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Lashof & McIrath may be slow but they are not untalented.

Those two are not very skilled players by NHL standards. I am sorry but you need to be willing to break some eggs if you want this team to improve. Just because we may miss on awarding contracts or in our evaluation of a particular player, does not mean we shouldn't try to acquire as many good prospects as possible. If you are scared away from trying by the possibility of failure you aren't going to get very far in life.

And for the record we need to be drafting both defensemen and forwards this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad