Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It just seems ro me that the wings have been reaching a bit on players taken in the first four rounds

Thats not to mean had they taken player X that it would be assured that the pkayer would make it, i just dont think our current scouting dept is good enough to trust over the opinions of others.

I dnt know perhaps i am way iff base here but if I were in charge i would be playing KISS the next few drafts during the first three or four rounds

Simple does not mean low skilled

The only (slight) reaches the Wings have made the last few years in the early rounds were on Cholowski and Lindstrom, who were both late risers that finished their draft season very strong.

Everyone else has gone right about where they were ranked on most draft lists. I have more of an issue with the types of players they are picking, as opposed to them taking guys that deviate from the rankings.

Tyler Wright does not draft small forwards with plus puck skills. He has done it maybe 1x in his entire career as a Director of Amateur Scouting (Oliver Bjorkstrand).

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I guess I am just having a hard time figuring out what exactly you want the Wings to do differently apart from drafting better.
I want the Wings to draft what works right now, and not what they hope works in 5-10 years. Draft skill forwards with an emphasis on skating, puckhandling, and offensive hockey sense. Draft defensemen who can skate, pass, and shoot--in that order. Draft big goalies (I don't know anything about goaltending). They're currently 1/3. They've been drafting a lot of scrappy grinders and big, raw defensemen with mediocre skating. Do not want.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The only (slight) reaches the Wings have made the last few years in the early rounds were on Cholowski and Lindstrom, who were both late risers that finished their draft season very strong.

Everyone else has gone right about where they were ranked on most draft lists. I have more of an issue with the types of players they are picking, as opposed to them taking guys that deviate from the rankings.

Tyler Wright does not draft small forwards with plus puck skills. He has done it maybe 1x in his entire career as a Director of Amateur Scouting (Oliver Bjorkstrand).

Thats b2b drafts in the first two rounds

I agree with your second point

Reactions: MikeyDee

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The farther we keep falling down, The better i like our odds for Dahlin. Need to surpass Montreal and Vancouver now.
I think Montreal is definitely doable, and maybe Vancouver as well. But unless Ottawa finishes very strong, I don't think Detroit will sink below them in the standings.

But even if the Wings are 4th overall heading into lottery night, that still at a minimum guarantees a top 7 pick, and with this draft, I'll take that as a floor any day.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah don't see it either, Probably just wishful thinking on our part. But still you never know.
Sure seems like Green has checked out. Gotta be bummed he's not playing for a playoff contender due to the injury. None of our young guys are producing, we traded a solid scorer in Tatar, the old guys are busted. Ottawa still has Karlsson, so they've got elite talent. Heck, Buffalo is starting to win games. Add in our tough schedule and we're in good shape to bottom out by the end of the season.

We tried rebuilding in the fly and it was a flat out failure that set us back 5 years. Let's acquire young, cheap elite talent and see where that gets us. It'll be a hell of a lot more fun than trying to justify all the awful contracts Holland had handed out like candy on Halloween.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I want the Wings to draft what works right now, and not what they hope works in 5-10 years. Draft skill forwards with an emphasis on skating, puckhandling, and offensive hockey sense. Draft defensemen who can skate, pass, and shoot--in that order. Draft big goalies (I don't know anything about goaltending). They're currently 1/3. They've been drafting a lot of scrappy grinders and big, raw defensemen with mediocre skating. Do not want.

That much I can absolutely agree with you on, even if for different reasons.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think last place gets 18% odds for 1st overall. Anyway, just shows how much the lottery actually changes things.

You're right i just checked. Only a 0.58% chance at winning the lottery three times in a row now.

And I was just starting to get my hopes up too :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->