Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The emergence of Barzal has me hoping for a trend that I’ve desperately missed in the NHL. The ridiculously skilled 5’10-6’0 185 lb medium sized true number one center. In the early 90’s almost everyone had one. Sakic, Yzerman, Lafontaine, Turgeon, Oates, Roenick, Janney, Gilmour, Damphousse etc...

Barzal reminds me of that type of player. They became undersized and everyone started wanting the big power center. Dilution of talent due to expansion and increased speed/fitness has meant teams need all the skill they can get and smaller players have obviously made a comeback. A new generation of speedy, dangly, playmakering centers who can also score would be sweet.

Remembering the '83 draft makes me cry. The Whalers have No. 2 overall, two future Hall of Famers (Yzerman, LaFontaine) and an elite goalie with a 20-year career ahead of him (Barrasso) are sitting there and we take Sylvain Turgeon. The others go 3, 4, 5. Cam Neely goes No. 9.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This is somewhat of a devil's advocate position, but:

Given the possibility that Dahlin disappoints, and/or the likelihood that he has a 5+ year development curve to get to his "franchise player" potential... would we be better off trading that pick for someone whose prime years would track more closely with our current group? It would resolve the LHD-overload issue without having to find a buyer for Hanifin, and it would likely give us a better return than Hanifin would under such distressed circumstances. We wouldn't end up in a situation where we're trading players just to make room, or end up with Dahlin emerging just as Skinner/Staal are hitting the end-of-career skids and Aho is past his best seasons.

Just a thought.

How much consideration do you think RF has given the scenario of trading the No. 1 overall pick? As much as I like the idea, he'd dismiss it before you even got your whole thought out.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd probably agree with that. I got on the he's risk averse bandwagon early and often in his tenure. For some of the good I think he's done that's been and remains my biggest question, is his ability to make a big move.

On the other hand, it's hard to fault someone for not trading the #1 pick. It just doesn't really happen anymore, and especially not with this caliber of a prospect.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
How much consideration do you think RF has given the scenario of trading the No. 1 overall pick? As much as I like the idea, he'd dismiss it before you even got your whole thought out.

If we get 1OA, we'd better be trading it.

Francis' draft strategy has been "need and lack of concern for consensus thought in favor of our own scouting."

If we have and keep 1OA...he's not taking Dahlin. I'm certain of it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we get 1OA, we'd better be trading it.

Francis' draft strategy has been "need and lack of concern for consensus thought in favor of our own scouting."

If we have and keep 1OA...he's not taking Dahlin. I'm certain of it.
I mean, while it never or rarely happens, I'd either trade the pick or make the pick and work a deal with one of our blueliners as the centerpiece. Dahlin is supposedly such a talent, it would be hard to pass on him, but you might be able to then move Hanifin or some such, assuming Dahlin is indeed a generational talent. You might also be able to swing a deal with somebody like Buffalo....a bigger deal around swapping picks, adding assets and getting ROR. That's the type of deal I'd look into. The other team I'd chat with would be Colorado. They've got Ottawa's 1st and right now that looks to be #3. Anyway it's all speculation and fantasy regardless....but ending up with a Top 3 pick and a scoring forward wouldn't be the worst outcome.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I mean, while it never or rarely happens, I'd either trade the pick or make the pick and work a deal with one of our blueliners as the centerpiece. Dahlin is supposedly such a talent, it would be hard to pass on him, but you might be able to then move Hanifin or some such, assuming Dahlin is indeed a generational talent. You might also be able to swing a deal with somebody like Buffalo....a bigger deal around swapping picks, adding assets and getting ROR. That's the type of deal I'd look into. The other team I'd chat with would be Colorado. They've got Ottawa's 1st and right now that looks to be #3. Anyway it's all speculation and fantasy regardless....but ending up with a Top 3 pick and a scoring forward wouldn't be the worst outcome.
NotOpie, that Ottawa pick is essentially a choice for Ottawa, either 2018 or 2019. The statement was “2018 top 10 protected, if so, moves to 2019” but from what I’ve read it’s really the Sens’ choice. They can give this year’s or next year’s.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Still no interest whatsoever in ROR. Not what we need and for what he'd cost, better-fitting assets of comparable quality would be available to us.

Basically I never want any part of ROR at-all unless we're looking for a Staal replacement.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
What better fitting assets of comparable quality do you have in mind? I would easily take another Jordan Staal right now. Another center who can actually play physical, win puck battles, and actually be defensively responsible would be great for the team. But ROR isn't Staal. He's got a lot of the qualities but is also good for 60 points. Not a superstar first liner, but someone who would help us win. Seriously, if he were available I'd be jumping for it because top 6 centers are hard to come by.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'd take ROR even though we have Staal. But I wouldn't pay a crazy price for him for the same reason. We would have to part with way too many futures AND we would be paying 12+ million long term for two 2nd line centers who may or may not continue to be 2nd line centers by the end of their contracts. Would rather wait and take a chance on Necas/Lindholm taking the next step in their games.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'd forgotten about the Ottawa qualification(s)....anyway, I'm of the mind that ROR would be a good fit here and it would make the team that much more difficult to play against while adding some set of increased point production.

I don't think Buffalo is incompetent enough to move ROR, but I have come around to the idea of picking him up if available. Initially my thinking was "meh, more of the same", but Peters would probably neuter any high skill/offense 1C anyway, so you might as well go after a guy that could excel in his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad