Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I’m kind of wary of Karlsson.

You’ve got to ask yourself just how good he currently is after all the injuries. Is the toxic environment in Ottawa affecting his performance?

Bottom line is he hasn’t looked like the same player this year. If that’s not an aberration then there’s potential for massive regret. It’s going to take a huge contract offer to sign him.
All valid concerns and it would take a lot of creativity to fit bobby ryan and an extended karlsson under the cap. But it's ok since this will never happen, I can just look at the upside: Erik. Goddamn. Karlsson.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Mock draft I just looked at says Joseph Veleno (C) at 11.

Best comparison I saw was Jonathan Toews.

Traded for this guy in NHL 18. He's projected as an elite player.

With that analysis, i say take him.

serious:

I love Dahlin, but I hate that he's left handed, really wish he was right handed, but theres a minimal chance we even have a shot to pick him

I'd like a Thachuk on the team. We need some meanness who can score a bit too.

I like Zadina too. He seems to be able to create a good bit of offense.

I actually am on board with Veleno and he will probably go around where we end up picking

In where we probably land: I wouldn't be surpised if we go Rasmus Kupari. He's a 17 year old finnish C with a pretty similar size build to Aho with similar production as Aho in his first year playing in the big leagues. He's got 12 in 34. Aho had 11 in 27. He didn't have a good WJC-20 though, stats wise.. but neither did Aho in his first WJC-20. Eliteprospects has a quote that says: "He is a mix of Jesse Puljujärvi and Sebastian Aho, Mikko Manner (Kärpät HC) 2017"

edit:
interestingly enough, just saw this from a mock draft on NHL:
9. Carolina Hurricanes

Kimelman -- Isac Lundestrom, C, Lulea (SWE):
The Hurricanes need more skilled depth through the middle and with Lundestrom (6-0, 185) and 2017 first-round pick (No. 12) Martin Necas, they would be building around two solid players.
Morreale -- Wahlstrom: Known for his goal-scoring ability and elite shot, Wahlstrom has a quick release and creates space for himself and linemates.
Lepage -- Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (FIN): The skilled Finland-born forward (6-1, 183) did not really have an opportunity to prove himself at the World Junior Championship but showed flashes of his potential thanks to his speed and soft hands.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Veleno is top 3 right?
Dahlin, Svechnakov, Tkachuk, Zadina, after that it's probably a crapsshoot of which dman goes next, most are thinking Boqvist but could be Hughes, Bouchard, or Dobson. Either way I'm not overly interested in dmen right now for obvious reasons when you look at our system.

Veleno is somewhere in the 9-13 range which is good news for us if we really want him. He's not the guy I want the most from that grouping (Wahlstrom)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Dahlin, Svechnakov, Tkachuk, Zadina, after that it's probably a crapsshoot of which dman goes next, most are thinking Boqvist but could be Hughes, Bouchard, or Dobson. Either way I'm not overly interested in dmen right now for obvious reasons when you look at our system.

Veleno is somewhere in the 9-13 range which is good news for us if we really want him. He's not the guy I want the most from that grouping (Wahlstrom)

Ah ok.

Unless we are picking #1, I know the feels on taking another D. If we somehow ended up 1st, I’d drop back and gain another 2nd

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ah ok.

Unless we are picking #1, I know the feels on taking another D. If we somehow ended up 1st, I’d drop back and gain another 2nd

I don't want us to win the lottery for exactly this reason. I don't want RF presiding over a situation where we *have* to make a talent-for-talent trade. I can just see it now. We take Dahlin because we don't like any of the draft-day deals, then can't make a trade over the summer, then end up sending Fleury back to Charlotte because we can't find a trade we like in camp, and Jake Bean ends up turning pro to run the power play for the Everblades in the ECHL while Derek Ryan goes two months without a point centering Martin Necas and Lucas Wallmark on our second line.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't want us to win the lottery for exactly this reason. I don't want RF presiding over a situation where we *have* to make a talent-for-talent trade. I can just see it now. We take Dahlin because we don't like any of the draft-day deals, then can't make a trade over the summer, then end up sending Fleury back to Charlotte because we can't find a trade we like in camp, and Jake Bean ends up turning pro to run the power play for the Everblades in the ECHL while Derek Ryan goes two months without a point centering Martin Necas and Lucas Wallmark on our second line.

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realization.gif

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
This part would be funny if there wasn't a big chance of that happening.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

All you’ve been screaming about for 2 years is that Francis needs to make a talent for talent trade, now you don’t want the #1 pick in the draft because he would be forced to? Even if he is forced into making a talent for talent trade and he whiffs on it you still get Dahlin, who would be the best asset the team has had since prime Eric Staal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Let's say the team won the ping pong balls (fat chance, we don't win anything) and we get the right to draft Dahlin. Would you consider trading him/the pick for the right to get a 1C? If the Oilers had the 3rd pick in the draft and we had the 1st, would you trade the 1OA plus Rask for Draisaitl, their 1st and Poolparty? I wonder if they would do that?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Let's say the team won the ping pong balls (fat chance, we don't win anything) and we get the right to draft Dahlin. Would you consider trading him/the pick for the right to get a 1C? If the Oilers had the 3rd pick in the draft and we had the 1st, would you trade the 1OA plus Rask for Draisaitl, their 1st and Poolparty? I wonder if they would do that?

They would not do that. The difference between Dahlin and say Tkachuk isn’t as great as the difference between Draisaitl and Rask, let alone adding Poolparty.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If you win the lottery you take Dahlin and thank your lucky stars.

The real sadness occurs when everything Kev said still happens, but instead of getting Dahlin the Canes take 5'9", 160 lbs LHD Quinton Hughes at #7. Leaving a guy like Wahlstrom on the board. "We had Hughes at #2!" - Francis probably

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
All you’ve been screaming about for 2 years is that Francis needs to make a talent for talent trade, now you don’t want the #1 pick in the draft because he would be forced to? Even if he is forced into making a talent for talent trade and he whiffs on it you still get Dahlin, who would be the best asset the team has had since prime Eric Staal.

My point is that I'm not sure what could "force" Francis to make a talent-for-talent trade when our situation to this point hasn't done anything to motivate him. I'd be worried he *still* wouldn't make a trade, even though he now "has" to. But I suspect you got that and decided to take a shot anyhow. No biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad