Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They didn't get much out of Pryor in that interview.

Maybe after the draft he'll be more forthcoming.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Farabee is a well-above average skater. His first step is actually very good, probably better than Kratsov's.
Some of this is cause he is 160 lbs he will have to pack on min 25-30 lbs to compete against men which will slow him a bit . I like him as a player enough but he was the third best player on that line and he was not the possession driver. I know this won't be popular on here and i could be completely wrong but i think the high floor somewhat limited ceiling that was mentioned is more what i see . I have not seen him live to really take a close look so just have some reserved judgements on him that's all .

Reactions: hatcher

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Some of this is cause he is 160 lbs he will have to pack on min 25-30 lbs to compete against men which will slow him a bit . I like him as a player enough but he was the third best player on that line and he was not the possession driver. I know this won't be popular on here and i could be completely wrong but i think the high floor somewhat limited ceiling that was mentioned is more what i see . I have not seen him live to really take a close look so just have some reserved judgements on him that's all .

He is more of a driver than Wahlstrom is, at least in my opinion. And, I don't think adding 20+ lbs will slow him down at all, he might even speed up.

He might not have superstar upside, but he definitely could be a 1st line player.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Farabee moves around well in most regards; he just doesn't have that explosive gear that some guys have. I can see where his current lack of strength and top-end speed might knock him down below Kravtsov and Berggren, but I'm not sure I'd put him below Kaut. Kaut is stronger, but almost a year older; Farabee has been more productive; and Kaut isn't a better skater than Farabee.

Kaut is an October birthday. Farabee is a February birthday. He is not "almost a year older."

Yes, Farabee has been more productive. I would hope so considering Kaut plays in a pro league.

Just to clarify, I never said or implied Kaut was a better skater than Farabee. Just that I preferred Kaut over Farabee. Which is not a knock on Farabee. I like Farabee just fine. I currently have them in the same tier.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He is more of a driver than Wahlstrom is, at least in my opinion. And, I don't think adding 20+ lbs will slow him down at all, he might even speed up.

He might not have superstar upside, but he definitely could be a 1st line player.
Wahlstrom is big with a vicious shot. But his production wasn't anything special until this season, when he got to play with Jack Hughes, who is phenomenal. In fact, Farabee significantly outproduced Wahlstrom the season before Hughes.

Granted, Wahlstrom's size and shot should make him a dangerous NHLer as long as you have a guy who can create plays centering him.

So if Farabee is still there at 11 or so do we trade up?

I would not trade up for Farabee. If he goes before 14, you're still going to have at least one of Kravtsov, Berggren, and Veleno available at 14, all of whom have excellent offensive potential, IMO. I don't think Farabee is any better than those other 3, and arguably 4th among them.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Wahlstrom is big with a vicious shot. But his production wasn't anything special until this season, when he got to play with Jack Hughes, who is phenomenal. In fact, Farabee significantly outproduced Wahlstrom the season before Hughes.

Granted, Wahlstrom's size and shot should make him a dangerous NHLer as long as you have a guy who can create plays centering him.

I would not trade up for Farabee. If he goes before 14, you're still going to have at least one of Kravtsov, Berggren, and Veleno available at 14, all of whom have excellent offensive potential, IMO. I don't think Farabee is any better than those other 3, and arguably 4th among them.

I have Farabee, Kravstov and Berggren all in a row in my rankings. But, Veleno really doesn't belong with them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Not necessarily, often when kids his age naturally add strength, it's not only upper body but lower body as well, and they add explosion to their skating.
It's when a young player bulks up past his body's "norm" that he slows down and often becomes top heavy.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Kaut is an October birthday. Farabee is a February birthday. He is not "almost a year older."

Yes, Farabee has been more productive. I would hope so considering Kaut plays in a pro league.

Just to clarify, I never said or implied Kaut was a better skater than Farabee. Just that I preferred Kaut over Farabee. Which is not a knock on Farabee. I like Farabee just fine. I currently have them in the same tier.
My mistake on Farabee's birthday. For some reason I thought he was a summer birthday.
And I meant more productive for his age at his level of play. I obviously wasn't comparing their stats in a vacuum.
And, for the record, I don't have much of a separation between Farabee and Kaut. All I said was, "I'm not sure I'd put Farabee below Kaut." I agree they are close. I lean Farabee slightly for his production for his age at his level, and the fact that he seems to have a little more room to grow. But it's so close I could even still change my mind by the draft.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I have Farabee, Kravstov and Berggren all in a row in my rankings. But, Veleno really doesn't belong with them.
I've really changed my mind on Veleno. Early on I was influenced by some video that came across as lackadaisical. But as I've watched more, I think he's a lot different than I first thought, and I have him in the same tier as Kravtsov, Berggren, and Farabee.

Reactions: Insurrection

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
My mistake on Farabee's birthday. For some reason I thought he was a summer birthday.
And I meant more productive for his age at his level of play. I obviously wasn't comparing their stats in a vacuum.
And, for the record, I don't have much of a separation between Farabee and Kaut. All I said was, "I'm not sure I'd put Farabee below Kaut." I agree they are close. I lean Farabee slightly for his production for his age at his level, and the fact that he seems to have a little more room to grow. But it's so close I could even still change my mind by the draft.

Yeah, his likeliness to grow or easily pack on weight is something NHL doctors would probably be able to ascertain to some degree.

That would make a significant difference in my ranking. Unfortunately, that's not something we can know. I'd move him up if so.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I like him as a player enough but he was the third best player on that line and he was not the possession driver. I know this won't be popular on here and i could be completely wrong but i think the high floor somewhat limited ceiling that was mentioned is more what i see .

Well, a good chunk of the time in the 2nd half he didn't even play with Hughes and Wahlstrom (who were attached at the hip), but with Jake Wise on the 2nd line. Early in the u18s he was apart too, until the team's really poor start caused them to be reunited.

You're talking about him being the 3rd best player on his line -- which is arguable to begin with in an all-around sense -- but acting like that means he was carried. He wasn't. Was Travis Konecny "carried" on our top line? Farabee is significantly more of a line-driver than Wahlstrom, hence why he was often split. Until Hughes got there, their season point totals were pretty similar, and they still were in the USHL league games. I watched them play with every combination. They began the year with Farabee-Gruden-Wahlstrom. I saw them with Hughes. I saw them split every which way, with Hughes and without. Farabee is the definition of a possession driver, and I bet he will be more so than Wahlstrom at the NHL level, though of course Wahlstrom will be a bigger scoring threat. But he's the definition of a support player.

I don't get where the low ceiling comes from. He has plus hands, creativity, tenacity; he's versatile as a shooter and playmaker. And he just so happens to be one of the smartest players in the draft. I don't even know what limited ceiling means........50-60 points? Maybe. But that's not low ceiling to me. I'm not projecting most guys above that outside the top 5-10. And I see a kid who is 6ft and a scrawny 160 lbs and needs more skating power, but has everything else, and am thinking that's available upside, if anything.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not anti-Farabee, I do like him but I did allude to somewhat similar concerns here a few days ago. I don't think his skating is near Kravtsov or Berggren.

I have Kravtsov and Berggren a tier ahead of him at the moment. Also I'm inclined to favor Kaut over Farabee as well if you want a more easily projectable, safer pick.

I had Kaut in my top 15 almost 4 months ago, when he wasn't even a 1st rounder, so that's not an issue. But you're lamenting Farabee's upside relative to others, then talking about Kaut as being preferred because he's safer. I guess I'm just confused. I love Kaut; when faced with some other options, I hope he becomes a Flyer. But of the 4, he's definitely the lowest upside to me. Not to say I don't see ~2nd line potential because I do. I think he has 25-30 goal upside, 50-55 point upside, usage depending. He's a great 200ft PWF and will be a monster possession player. But I think Farabee has similar upside, while being less easily projectable (not risky either), but having another level in him. Kaut has a short development path.

I will say that the idea of mixing and matching Kaut or Kravtsov with Berggren might be a better compliment than Farabee+Berggren, also since they play the same position and the others are RWs. I'm Team Berggren above all because I think he has the potential to be a do-everything type offensively. I'd pass on Farabee for him, if it was a choice. But Farabee is a heckuva player. As I make known, I'm conservative projecting. I have Kravtsov right with Farabee to the point it's not hard convincing, but he's not a standout playmaker and doesn't play on the puck that long. He's more of a rush+off-puck type. I think he's a great support player. Like I said, if you want to use that Connor comparison: good player with 30 goal, 60+ point ability.......but still a support player who happened to play with Scheifele and Wheeler. I only view one of the 4 as having the skill-set to QB a team offensively.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I had Kaut in my top 15 almost 4 months ago, when he wasn't even a 1st rounder, so that's not an issue. But you're lamenting Farabee's upside relative to others, then talking about Kaut as being preferred because he's safer. I guess I'm just confused. I love Kaut; when faced with some other options, I hope he becomes a Flyer. But of the 4, he's definitely the lowest upside to me. Not to say I don't see ~2nd line potential because I do. I think he has 25-30 goal upside, 50-55 point upside, usage depending. He's a great 200ft PWF and will be a monster possession player. But I think Farabee has similar upside, while being less easily projectable (not risky either), but having another level in him. Kaut has a short development path.

I will say that the idea of mixing and matching Kaut or Kravtsov with Berggren might be a better compliment than Farabee+Berggren, also since they play the same position and the others are RWs. I'm Team Berggren above all because I think he has the potential to be a do-everything type offensively. I'd pass on Farabee for him, if it was a choice. But Farabee is a heckuva player. As I make known, I'm conservative projecting. I have Kravtsov right with Farabee to the point it's not hard convincing, but he's not a standout playmaker and doesn't play on the puck that long. He's more of a rush+off-puck type. I think he's a great support player. Like I said, if you want to use that Connor comparison: good player with 30 goal, 60+ point ability.......but still a support player who happened to play with Scheifele and Wheeler. I only view one of the 4 as having the skill-set to QB a team offensively.

I maybe phrased that poorly. I meant that Farabee and Kaut are both safer options. I do agree Farabee has more upside than Kaut and should have indicated so. Farabee's size is definitely a hang up for me. Especially considering my affinity for Berggren, who I prefer. Like you, Berggren + Farabee I don't see as a realistic option either.

As for Kravtsov, I'm not too worried about the limitations in his game you pointed out. We have an abundance of possession style forwards to pair him with. He'd really flourish here.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As for Kravtsov, I'm not too worried about the limitations in his game you pointed out. We have an abundance of possession style forwards to pair him with. He'd really flourish here.

Okay, now I maybe phrased it poorly lol. They're not limitations. Every player is different. Kravtsov, in my limited viewings compared to the others, moves pucks FAST. He loves give and go plays and working space. I don't think he's a playmaker but a smart off-puck scoring winger with individually dynamic qualities, who is a proficient passer. Not unlike Kaut, though Kaut tends to be more willing to slow it down. It's not a weakness. Just his style game. And when his body develops, maybe he'll be more comfortable hanging onto pucks, though I still think it's not his game. And he seemed to know his game well actually. I think he'd be an awesome fit too and would be eager to get him.

I guess what I was just trying to say was that I don't think he projects as a Voracek-caliber wing or something. I think Kravtsov is a wingman type on a scoring line with a true puck controller. A wingman to a player like a Berggren (I know I'm just getting my and other peoples' hopes up when it doesn't happen at #19).

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Well, a good chunk of the time in the 2nd half he didn't even play with Hughes and Wahlstrom (who were attached at the hip), but with Jake Wise on the 2nd line. Early in the u18s he was apart too, until the team's really poor start caused them to be reunited.

You're talking about him being the 3rd best player on his line -- which is arguable to begin with in an all-around sense -- but acting like that means he was carried. He wasn't. Was Travis Konecny "carried" on our top line? Farabee is significantly more of a line-driver than Wahlstrom, hence why he was often split. Until Hughes got there, their season point totals were pretty similar, and they still were in the USHL league games. I watched them play with every combination. They began the year with Farabee-Gruden-Wahlstrom. I saw them with Hughes. I saw them split every which way, with Hughes and without. Farabee is the definition of a possession driver, and I bet he will be more so than Wahlstrom at the NHL level, though of course Wahlstrom will be a bigger scoring threat. But he's the definition of a support player.

I don't get where the low ceiling comes from. He has plus hands, creativity, tenacity; he's versatile as a shooter and playmaker. And he just so happens to be one of the smartest players in the draft. I don't even know what limited ceiling means........50-60 points? Maybe. But that's not low ceiling to me. I'm not projecting most guys above that outside the top 5-10. And I see a kid who is 6ft and a scrawny 160 lbs and needs more skating power, but has everything else, and am thinking that's available upside, if anything.
I did not say he was carried by the line but Hughes is the run away best player and i do consider Wahlstrom a bull with a good shot (something i like) . All the games i saw they were on the same line together Hughes the driver and play maker Wahlstrom the fire power and Farabee the complementary player that could do some of both . It's just a matter of what attributes you like vs the ones i like and think we could use more on the Flyers. Once again i said i do like Farabee but i have in a pool of 3-4 there and you never know if one of those top ten players fall , someone always falls so pinning my hopes on one prospect is something i won't do . Personally i am hoping one of those top D fall ,Dobson ,Hughes ,Bouchard ,Boqvist , Smith . I am not doing this to knock Farabee down there are just other players i like as much and would be just as happy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pronman mock draft from The Athletic has the Flyers taking Kravstov at 14 with Farabee still available and Lundestrom at 19 with Berggren still available. Martin Kaut was not even selected in the 1st.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Pronman mock draft

HD9XCBf.gif

(Charlie made the Flyers picks fwiw)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Pronman mock draft from The Athletic has the Flyers taking Kravstov at 14 with Farabee still available and Lundestrom at 19 with Berggren still available. Martin Kaut was not even selected in the 1st.

I like Breggen and wouldn't be surprised if he is taken around 19 (and would be happy with us taking him) but the consensus on him is:

HP: 27
FC: 44
ISS: 30
McKeen: 28
CS: 30

So I guess from the consensus perspective, taking Lundstrom over him makes sense (even though I wouldn't. Lundstrom is abit too safe for me there)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Rank them 1-10

Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Joel Farabee
Joey Veleno
Barrett Hayton
Vitali Kravtsov
Martin Kaut
Rasmus Kupari
Isac Lundestrom
Jonatan Berggren
Serron Noel

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Rank them 1-10

Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Joel Farabee
Joey Veleno
Barrett Hayton
Vitali Kravtsov
Martin Kaut
Rasmus Kupari
Isac Lundestrom
Jonatan Berggren
Serron Noel

kotkaniemi
veleno
krav
kupari
hayton
kaut
farabee
berggren
noel
lundestrom ---- do not want at all.

im down with pretty much all 9 on that list.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Every account I have read says Farrabee is a strong skater, great edges, shifty, fast acceleration, starts and stops on a dime. The only thing that is not super positive is his top speed isn't as good as the elite guys, but is above average.
He has a great work ethic, very good shot, velocity, releases and is very accurate, sees the ice well, excellent passer, excellent hands, can dangle, back checks hard, can penalty kill and work on PP, good defensively and has excellent hockey sense.
What's not to like?
Oh, and if he is the third wheel on that great line, behind a center who will probably go number 1 overall next year, and probably would have challenged Dahlin this year if he was old enough, and behind a guy/sniper who scored 77 goals in 94 games, who may be the best shooter in the draft and is going to go top 10, maybe top 6 this year, I'd say that is no knock on Farrabee. I'd take him at 14 in a minute. And I 'd be happy with Kravtsov or Bergerren there too, but would take Farrabee over both because he brings a little more to the table. I love Kravtsov's offense and Bergerren's offense too . They MAY have a slight edge on Farrabee there, but his higher floor makes him safer, and everything else is sooooo close, I'll take the more complete guy given the choice. Now if we can get one of those two at 19 with Farrabee, that would be Nirvana.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
tbh I feel like we'd be able to get Kravstov at 19.

however if they have a hunch NJD or CBJ like him, then cool with him at 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad