Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you're not getting a "can't miss" guy like Provorov, better off trading back and going with numbers, given our scouting record.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Its important to remember that mock drafts are just for fun :laugh:

Well, we took Kravtsov and Berggren in our mock draft. Nailed it. :5:

While I agree that mock drafts are fun, they do profiles and stuff and the site gets a lot of traffic from fans (all the SB sites). I think people value it. But no one is particularly informed on the matter, so you end up with mocks or profiles like that with recycled or flimsy information at best. At least for BSH. You see it in the Top 25 under 25 too, where just ridiculous players are voted above others or they're slow to assess players because no one watches and too many of those people get equal votes (save for a couple more knowledgable ones). I barely go there anymore though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fair point @Magua

While I have you, would Radulov be a strong comparable for Denisenko in your opinion? Thats the first player that came to mind for me after watching video on him.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
While I have you, would Radulov be a strong comparable for Denisenko in your opinion? Thats the first player that came to mind for me after watching video on him.

I don't really see any similarities tbh.

Radulov is 6'1 and built like a fire hydrant and plays pretty heavy. He's not the best skater, but he's got great hands and is a pretty good goal scorer.

Denisenko is 5'10 and change and 170 lbs. He's pretty slight. He's also a high-end skater and more of a playmaker, though he's well-rounded. He's a lot closer to a Panarin-type, if you want to use a Russian comparison. Despite his stats and inherent risk factor, Denisenko's tape looked good to me. His skill level is transcendent, and his hockey IQ is well above average. I'd prefer others, but I'd have no issue if he was one of the picks -- especially over some consensus names being floated -- acknowledging his question marks. But I highly doubt the Flyers pick him because of the uncertainty, and I prefer a few others anyway.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Its important to remember that mock drafts are just for fun :laugh:

I get that, hence I didn't complain about the Kupari pick.

I was more complaining about the addition of trades into a mock draft. They are fine on HFboards on the mock draft page, but doing that on a somewhat large site seems pretty silly.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't really see any similarities tbh.

Radulov is 6'1 and built like a fire hydrant and plays pretty heavy. He's not the best skater, but he's got great hands and is a pretty good goal scorer.

Denisenko is 5'10 and change and 170 lbs. He's pretty slight. He's also a high-end skater and more of a playmaker, though he's well-rounded. He's a lot closer to a Panarin-type, if you want to use a Russian comparison. Despite his stats and inherent risk factor, Denisenko's tape looked good to me. His skill level is transcendent, and his hockey IQ is well above average. I'd prefer others, but I'd have no issue if he was one of the picks -- especially over some consensus names being floated -- acknowledging his question marks. But I highly doubt the Flyers pick him because of the uncertainty, and I prefer a few others anyway.

Yeah Panarin I can totally see. I saw Radulov in him because of how confident he is with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. Radulov is the same way and also really elusive for not being the fastest guy.

Lol @ Montreal

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm getting the feeling that both Farabee and Kratsov will be gone by 14.

It's plausible. I think there's still a shot at one or the other, given size concerns or lack of international viewings. But it could happen. I see 10 players basically locks to go before us. After them? I don't know. Some people like some players more than others. Things could get weird in those 3 other picks. And that's what would have to happen: they'd have to be taken in 2 of the 3 picks.

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to take Berggren at #14 (but this is my fantasy, not the Flyers') and then have lots of options what to do with #19. There's also Kaut at #14, depending on his heart issue, who I have as my next forward. Smith, Denisenko are in that area for me, though I don't feel obligated to take them there like the others. But it drops a tier if Kravtsov and Farabee aren't there, though I'd include Kaut right after. Trading down from #14 instead of #19 wouldn't be ruled out for me either. Of course the Flyers will just take Hayton, if he's there (and he might not be). I'm prepared. Despite people talking of Wilde and Kupari and Veleno (who according to Hockey Prospect is way less touted in NHL circles; Wilde too), I am very very very skeptical the Flyers would covet those players. It would go against everything they value, unless they are in the evaluating minority. They're certainly a team unafraid to target and reach though.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It's plausible. I think there's still a shot at one or the other, given size concerns or lack of international viewings. But it could happen. I see 10 players basically locks to go before us. After them? I don't know. Some people like some players more than others. Things could get weird in those 3 other picks. And that's what would have to happen: they'd have to be taken in 2 of the 3 picks.

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to take Berggren at #14 (but this is my fantasy, not the Flyers') and then have lots of options what to do with #19. There's also Kaut at #14, depending on his heart issue, who I have as my next forward. Smith, Denisenko are in that area for me, though I don't feel obligated to take them there. But it drops a tier if Kravtsov and Farabee aren't there, though I'd include Kaut right after. Trading down from #14 instead of #19 wouldn't be ruled out for me either. Of course the Flyers will just take Hayton, if he's there (and he might not be). I'm prepared.

This is the first year I really put effort into viewing a lot of these guys. I've seen and focused on ~90% of players projected to go in the 1st round. Previous years I knew of players and I saw maybe a 40-50%.

I'm not ready for the disappointment of Hexy taking Hayton and Wilde, yet. :scared:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is the first year I really put effort into viewing a lot of these guys. I've seen and focused on ~90% of players projected to go in the 1st round. Previous years I knew of players and I saw maybe a 40-50%.

I'm not ready for the disappointment of Hexy taking Hayton and Wilde, yet. :scared:

I've been trying to steel myself to the probability of the Flyers taking Hayton at 14 since the beginning of my deeper draft prep 2 months ago. But it will be really disappointing if they pass up Kravtsov, Berggren, Farabee, (or, IMO, Veleno) at 14. Unless they somehow get one of them at 19, but I doubt any of those four will make it to 19.

I don't like Wilde (tunnel visioned, IMO) or Kupari (hate the lack of production), but at 19 I have a little more leeway; while I'd like Hallander, or maybe Kaut, I could deal with it if they took, for example, Wilde or Merkley (sorry, Magua) at 19, even if not my top choice. It's pick 14 I'm most worried about.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I've been trying to steel myself to the probability of the Flyers taking Hayton at 14 since the beginning of my deeper draft prep 2 months ago. But it will be really disappointing if they pass up Kravtsov, Berggren, Farabee, (or, IMO, Veleno) at 14. Unless they somehow get one of them at 19, but I doubt any of those four will make it to 19.

I don't like Wilde (tunnel visioned, IMO) or Kupari (hate the lack of production), but at 19 I have a little more leeway; while I'd like Hallander, or maybe Kaut, I could deal with it if they took, for example, Wilde or Merkley (sorry, Magua) at 19, even if not my top choice. It's pick 14 I'm most worried about.

Yeah, I can stomach a Hayton/Wilde/Kupari/Noel pick at 19 fine if we get one of the three (Kratsov, Berggren, Farabee) at 14. The problem lies in taking a player like the four I listed at 14 ahead of one of the three.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, I can stomach a Hayton/Wilde/Kupari/Noel pick at 19 fine if we get one of the three (Kratsov, Berggren, Farabee) at 14. The problem lies in taking a player like the four I listed at 14 ahead of one of the three.
Agreed.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So early on I was intrigued by Jachym Kondelik in the USHL because he's a big forward. Looks like he's probably a 3rd/4th round prospect. I had pretty much forgotten about him so I haven't really seen or heard much on him lately. Is he worth a mid round pick?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

The thing about farabee that scares me is that I think he is ranked as high as he is because of how safe a prospect he is. To me he reminds me of Upshall. Will play in the nhl, be a 2 way winger that can play pp, pk but if the offense doesn't tick upwards is going to be to just another guy. His skating is average and for a bad skating organization He is just not someone I am eager to pick.

I think there are higher upside , more intriguing wingers at 14 to target.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The thing about farabee that scares me is that I think he is ranked as high as he is because of how safe a prospect he is. To me he reminds me of Upshall. Will play in the nhl, be a 2 way winger that can play pp, pk but if the offense doesn't tick upwards is going to be to just another guy. His skating is average and for a bad skating organization He is just not someone I am eager to pick.

He is an above average skater with well above average acceleration. Where are you getting he is an average skater? Meltzer said that in his write up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I suggest you at the very least watch a single highlight package of Farabee.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I'm not anti-Farabee, I do like him but I did allude to somewhat similar concerns here a few days ago. I don't think his skating is near Kravtsov or Berggren.

I have Kravtsov and Berggren a tier ahead of him at the moment. Also I'm inclined to favor Kaut over Farabee as well if you want a more easily projectable, safer pick.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Farabee moves around well in most regards; he just doesn't have that explosive gear that some guys have. I can see where his current lack of strength and top-end speed might knock him down below Kravtsov and Berggren, but I'm not sure I'd put him below Kaut. Kaut is stronger, but almost a year older; Farabee has been more productive; and Kaut isn't a better skater than Farabee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad