2018 NHL Draft Prospects

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
Is There Any Depth Next Year After Svechnikov and Dahlin?

I've been hearing recently on TSN that teams aren't even entertaining the possibility of trading a 1st rounder from next years draft. I understand that Svechnikov and Dahlin and views as exceptionally talented players but is there are there any other potential stars after them.

Maybe it's because they're both so good but I haven't heard too many other names in regards to high picks next years draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are a bunch of high-end potential D-men in Ty Smith, Woo, MacIssac, Wilde, Samuelsson, Boqvist, Quinn Hughes, and Merkley.

The area it is heavily lacking in though is potential star centers. The shine on Veleno is eroding, and the best Canadian center prospect (and possibly overall) is in the OJHL and likely to stay there (McBain). Then there are guys like Wahlstrom, Khovanov, Groulx, Delleandrea, Foudy, and Wise.

A fair amount of good winger prospects though. B. Tkachuk, Farabee and Zadina are likely top 10 picks.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
There are a bunch of high-end potential D-men in Ty Smith, Woo, MacIssac, Wilde, Samuelsson, Boqvist, Quinn Hughes, and Merkley.

The area it is heavily lacking in though is potential star centers. The shine on Veleno is eroding, and the best Canadian center prospect (and possibly overall) is in the OJHL and likely to stay there (McBain). Then there are guys like Wahlstrom, Khovanov, Groulx, Delleandrea, Foudy, and Wise.

A fair amount of good winger prospects though. B. Tkachuk, Farabee and Zadina are likely top 10 picks.

I thought Kohvanov, Veleno and McBain where Elite level(atleast looking that way) prospects...

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Some Finns to keep eye on to 2018 draft.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi ( C)
Rasmus Kupari ( C / RW)
Jesse Ylonen ( RW and son of Juha Ylonen)
All those guys played well U18 WJC in Slovakia.

Other names to follow

Niklas Nordgren ( RW)
Arttu Nevasaari ( RW)
Toni Utunen ( D)
Samuel Salonen ( LW)
Justus Annunen ( G)

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought Kohvanov, Veleno and McBain where Elite level(atleast looking that way) prospects...
Depends on who you talk to and depends on how you define elite. But, I don't think they are. I wouldn't classify them as elite right now, and I've seen some reliable sources having Khovanov out of the first (for a small guy he isn't a great skater, so he depends entirely on IQ which makes it difficult to have the space required to utilize his IQ to its full extent at the next level). None of them are notably better than Vilardi, Pettersson or Glass. A lot can change in a year, but at the moment, it is very weak down the middle of the ice depending on how you classify Brady Tkachuk.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Earlier this season, I thought the depth of the 2017 Draft would be very weak. I thought there might be huge drop off after pick ten. But now there are about 20 guys that feel like are good solid picks in the first round. So I think the 2018 guys will start to shine once we get closer to their draft in 2018.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY

Don't know much about him. What exactly would cause a guy who could be a top 5 pick (just based on you saying he may be the best C prospect) to play Junior A in Ontario in his draft year?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't know much about him. What exactly would cause a guy who could be a top 5 pick (just based on you saying he may be the best C prospect) to play Junior A in Ontario in his draft year?
Doesn't want to move too far from home (USHL or BCHL) and wants to keep college eligibility. Weird decision, but scouts will find talent wherever. He will be at the major events for Canada (Hlinka and the U-18's) and be at the World Jr A Challenge.

He's known about, and in a hub were a bunch of scouts live. So, its not like he'll suffer too much from lack of exposure. The amount of head scouts and regional guys that live in Southern Ontario means he won't be overlooked.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Doesn't want to move too far from home (USHL or BCHL) and wants to keep college eligibility. Weird decision, but scouts will find talent wherever. He will be at the major events for Canada (Hlinka and the U-18's) and be at the World Jr A Challenge.

He's known about, and in a hub were a bunch of scouts live. So, its not like he'll suffer too much from lack of exposure. The amount of head scouts and regional guys that live in Southern Ontario means he won't be overlooked.

Very interesting. Do you know if any player from the OJHL has been selected in the first round before?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Very interesting. Do you know if any player from the OJHL has been selected in the first round before?
Yeah, Daultan Leveille off the top of my head. It was under the GHJHL label, which was an Ontario-based Jr. A league. Brendan Smith and Andrew Cogliano both played in the OPJHL.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Since 2000 Brendan Smith and Cogliano.

Yeah, Daultan Leveille off the top of my head. It was under the GHJHL label, which was an Ontario-based Jr. A league. Brendan Smith and Andrew Cogliano both played in the OPJHL.

Interesting, appreciate the responses. I suppose he'll deal with the same questions Makar and Mittelstadt are facing this year in regards to quality of competition.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Interesting, appreciate the responses. I suppose he'll deal with the same questions Makar and Mittelstadt are facing this year in regards to quality of competition.

Leveillie was from Junior B

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Back on subject to McBain, really the only places I've been able to read on the 2018 Draft is on a couple threads here and I don't see him in any of them(although I did here he was the Second best Prospect at the start of the year from Button), what makes this guy so good and why isn't he showing up on some of these lists(is it simply to early?)...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Back on subject to McBain, really the only places I've been able to read on the 2018 Draft is on a couple threads here and I don't see him in any of them(although I did here he was the Second best Prospect at the start of the year from Button), what makes this guy so good and why isn't he showing up on some of these lists(is it simply to early?)...
Big center with a balanced offensive game. He's not talked about much because his draft is a year away and he plays in Jr. A. He also hasn't played much in high-profile events yet. He's currently listed at 6'3, with a big wingspan and needs to fill out. 6'3 centers with high hockey-IQ will always be in demand, regardless of what league they play in. He needs to fill out and improve his skating.

He was invited to the U-18 tryouts and is on the Hlinka try-out roster (would be a massive shock if he doesn't make it). He can get his name in the top 3 discussions with strong international appearances and a dominant Jr. A. season. He could also stagnate and have his stock implode.

Most guys who get hype tend to play in marquee events or on major teams. I doubt many people here are streaming Jr. A games for a prospect not eligible for the draft until next year. Compare that to Ryan Merkley, who most OHL observers were able to watch either live, through a cable package or an easily accessible stream.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
What happened to that Norwegian kid Emilio something?

Wasnt he an expected top pick a few years back?

I feel like ive heard Dahlin and Svech names for so long, that in my mind they should be alot older.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What happened to that Norwegian kid Emilio something?

Wasnt he an expected top pick a few years back?

I feel like ive heard Dahlin and Svech names for so long, that in my mind they should be alot older.
He's in the USHL. Had an average year for a 16 year old, but dominated the U-18 D1A tournament.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Would love to see your top 31, 93Leafs. Will you be putting one out? You seem to have a great handle on the age group.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Would love to see your top 31, 93Leafs. Will you be putting one out? You seem to have a great handle on the age group.

Don't really think it's possible to rank the 1st round right now. There's just an insane amount of depth in this draft and there's good players coming from all over, so I highly doubt anyone (meaning one individual) has seen all the top-end talent at this point. I think the only thing you could really do at this point is to rank them in tiers, or maybe use the NHL Central Scouting method of A, B and C prospects.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Blake McLaughlin, Jack Jensen and Gavin Hain should all be high draft choices out of Minnesota. Hain will be joining the NTDP for next season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks, I don't know enough of the class to really give a top 31. I have sources I trust, I'm pretty sure HockeyProspect.com's list from the Black Book will soon become public.

Don't really think it's possible to rank the 1st round right now. There's just an insane amount of depth in this draft and there's good players coming from all over, so I highly doubt anyone (meaning one individual) has seen all the top-end talent at this point. I think the only thing you could really do at this point is to rank them in tiers, or maybe use the NHL Central Scouting method of A, B and C prospects.
Yeah, I could do a rough top 10 at best. I'd probably have something along these lines. Outside of the NHL, I primarily watch the OHL, and in my opinion, the OHL crop is pretty suspect this year at least in regards to who played in it this year. Svechnikov coming over is big though. The kids in the 2018 draft at the top were fairly spread out. From everyone listed including the HM, you have 2 guys in the QMJHL, 2 in Sweden (with one mostly playing J-20), 1 in the USHL, 1 U-18 USNTDP, 3 in U-17 USNTDP, 2 in the WHL, 1 in the Czech Republic, and 1 in the OJHL.

1: Dahlin
2: Svechnikov
3: Tkachuk
4: Veleno
5: Zadina
6: Ty Smith
7: McIssac
8: Jet Woo
9: Farabee
10: Mattias Samuelsson

HM: Boqvist, Wilde, McBain, and Wahlstrom.

There is a big drop-off after the top 2 who are both franchise changing level talents. It will be interesting to see how things play out after the Hlinka, where a bunch of top players outside of the USNTDP and the overagers should be at.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00