2018 NHL Draft Prospects

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Re: Dahlin
@mkp_BD was super high on him last season while we were scouting for HockeyProspect.com and looking into him before the start of this season it didn’t take much for me to agree on having him as our early #1 ahead of Svechnikov. We knew Dahlin wasn’t even mentioned among top prospects for 2018 back then, but it was a case where we both felt totally at ease not caring about others’ opinions, we were confident the main reason behind it was lack of exposure and only a matter of time.

As for Khovanov, he’s definitely a talented and interesting kid. We’re curious to see how he’ll evolve his game while facing tougher competition along the next couple of seasons. In terms of remaining effective at the top senior level we don’t feel he projects as safely as some other 2018 eligible prospects. We didn't see the best wheels or athletical attributes, and a few average live viewings tempered our enthusiasm as far as ranking him top 5 goes. Keep in mind it is not easy to make the top 5 in Europe for that draft year given the number and quality of other candidates.

Anyway, we’ll obviously go into more details about Khovanov with his profile, part of our Blue Dispatch draft guide to be released in June.

What's your take on Adam Boqvist?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
What's your take on Adam Boqvist?

We think Adam is a highly skilled off D, and even if we haven't started putting that final ranking together yet, it feels obvious saying he will make our top 20 in June. The grade of compete/nonchalance he'll show next season in his own zone will probably go a long way towards determining his eventual draft status.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You talk a lot for someone who doesn't even know which position Svechnikov plays.

Not to mention that svechnikov dominated every single international tournament his age group in which he participated, something connor has never done. But the stupidest statement is still he is not "special" enough to go top 3:laugh: who is then? Dahlin, dahlin and dahlin for the top 3? And i thought the finne were annoying last year...

Svechnikov will be picked top 3 if not top 2

I'm pretty sure most if not all people have Svechnikov penciled in for a top 3 pick at this point.

Lol this place at times. I did NOT say that he wouldn't go top 3. I said quote he is not special FOR a top 3 pick. Malkin was really special for a 2nd overal pick. Svechnikov is a great prospect that looks like a lock to go in a top 3, this year he would probably be No 1. But he isn't "special" for a top 3 pick. Not generational. I would rank MANY of the better top 2-3 picks the last 5-10 years ahead of him.

All top 3 picks are more or less special, but for a top 3 pick he isn't special in that comparision. Read what you reply to lol, and cut the attitude if it's to hard to grasp simple English.

I've been in the stands watching Forsberg in the WJC, the Sedins, Crosby, Malkin and a lot of very good players. Seen most tournaments the last 20+ years. I don't need to see a ton of a player to know what I am talking about.

Further, Rasmus Dahlin is the best 16 y/o Swede I have ever seen, and it's not even close. In fact, he is the best 16 y/o defender I have ever seen. 16 y/o Swedes don't play in the SHL, this kid is doing these things at that level:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
And yet you thought Svechnikov played C? Sounds like many careful viewings.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
how does he compare to erik karlsson?

dahlin obviously.

From my POV, a hockey player is far from a finished product at 18. The game is so complex, skating in hockey is enough to be a sport in it self, then you have the physical aspects AND the whole stick/puck part. These kids starts to do the work on their end result when they are around 14-15, and most only get to the level they can get around 22-23, if not later. EVERY year in that span, at least 8, is each as important.

I remember Karlsson as a 17-18 y/o, he wasn't really close to were Dahlin is. He was so thin and small, albeit tremendously cocky with the puck. But even if he wasn't really a regular early at 18 for Frolunda, he was like 155 lbs it's felt like, I remember a preseason game between Ottawa and Frolunda in Gothenburg in 08' (Ottawa started the season in Europe). Karlsson got little ice time at first, but then just grew and grew and grew during the game. At the end he wasn't almost putting up a show. Chris Neil was half for fun mocking up a player on Frolunda. Then a few shifts later Neil got the puck between the redline and offensive blueline and Karlsson landed a Kronwall hit at him at like 180mph. Neil didn't fall down but lost his breath of the hit and had to go to the bench. That's Karlsson in a nutshell, there is nothing he can't do. Karlsson was of course drafted by Ottawa at that point and I remember the reactions on their bench after that hit, it was like wow we got this kid? He was so small and weak but he is amazing. Karlsson just took it and ran with it. Became so much better every year till he got where he is right now. Rose to every challenge ever put infront of him.

Rasmus Dahlin is a completely different type, at 16 y/o he can look like he is on a different level than everyone else -- in some cases -- in the SHL. All of a sudden he isn't skating 8s around everyone. On the back check in a situation everyone is scrambling to get back, Dahlin all of a sudden notice that he skated way to fast and have to literary wait for the forwards to catch up before he can hit them.

He is the best Swede ever at 16 y/o, and it's just not even close. I didn't see Sundin at 16, but I saw him at 17-18 and Dahlin is better. How good is Karlsson really? I would say that he is top 10 in the game easily, probably up towards top 5. That per definition would make him a very very good first overal pick. Will Dahlin become better than that? He would of course have a very long way to go. But he has that potential -- and probably then some. He is the best D prospect at 16 I've ever seen to be honest. We haven't had a real generational talent at D in a long while. Not McDavid/Crosby/AO level. Dahlin must keep taking huge steps -- but he COULD be at that level in 12 months.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I beg to differ I think he is absolutely special for a top 3 pick. Kid has an incredible blend of speed and skill to go along with a great shot arsenal. He's arguably the best Russian wing prospect to come along since Ovi.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
From my POV, a hockey player is far from a finished product at 18. The game is so complex, skating in hockey is enough to be a sport in it self, then you have the physical aspects AND the whole stick/puck part. These kids starts to do the work on their end result when they are around 14-15, and most only get to the level they can get around 22-23, if not later. EVERY year in that span, at least 8, is each as important.

I remember Karlsson as a 17-18 y/o, he wasn't really close to were Dahlin is. He was so thin and small, albeit tremendously cocky with the puck. But even if he wasn't really a regular early at 18 for Frolunda, he was like 155 lbs it's felt like, I remember a preseason game between Ottawa and Frolunda in Gothenburg in 08' (Ottawa started the season in Europe). Karlsson got little ice time at first, but then just grew and grew and grew during the game. At the end he wasn't almost putting up a show. Chris Neil was half for fun mocking up a player on Frolunda. Then a few shifts later Neil got the puck between the redline and offensive blueline and Karlsson landed a Kronwall hit at him at like 180mph. Neil didn't fall down but lost his breath of the hit and had to go to the bench. That's Karlsson in a nutshell, there is nothing he can't do. Karlsson was of course drafted by Ottawa at that point and I remember the reactions on their bench after that hit, it was like wow we got this kid? He was so small and weak but he is amazing. Karlsson just took it and ran with it. Became so much better every year till he got where he is right now. Rose to every challenge ever put infront of him.

Rasmus Dahlin is a completely different type, at 16 y/o he can look like he is on a different level than everyone else -- in some cases -- in the SHL. All of a sudden he isn't skating 8s around everyone. On the back check in a situation everyone is scrambling to get back, Dahlin all of a sudden notice that he skated way to fast and have to literary wait for the forwards to catch up before he can hit them.

He is the best Swede ever at 16 y/o, and it's just not even close. I didn't see Sundin at 16, but I saw him at 17-18 and Dahlin is better. How good is Karlsson really? I would say that he is top 10 in the game easily, probably up towards top 5. That per definition would make him a very very good first overal pick. Will Dahlin become better than that? He would of course have a very long way to go. But he has that potential -- and probably then some. He is the best D prospect at 16 I've ever seen to be honest. We haven't had a real generational talent at D in a long while. Not McDavid/Crosby/AO level. Dahlin must keep taking huge steps -- but he COULD be at that level in 12 months.
We haven't seen a defenseman prospect that good in the last 30 or something years. The position is so reactive at the NHL level, that even the best defensive prospects will never be the sure things that high-level forward prospects are. It's simply the nature of the position.

Dahlin is a special prospect, but even if he is ahead at 16 of guys like Hedman/Doughty, I don't think he'll put himself a full tier ahead of them within a year.

Remember, in most people's eyes, Jay Bouwmeester was the best 16-year-old defensive prospect we have seen in the last 30 years. He turned into a fringe #1 NHL defender at points but never took that step into what was projected of him. Defensive players development also tends to be much rockier than that of high-level forwards, which again has to do with their responsibilities and the nature of the position, as a winger makes mistakes it carries much less risk.

Both of these guys are elite prospects, and probably end up in the Matthews/Eichel/Laine tier of prospect, to expect more one way or the other is a bit extreme. Granted, if all those players are in the same draft, I'm leaning towards the two franchise centers as how much they control a game (over a winger) and the less risk attached (compard to defender) make them probably the best pick if all talent is equal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
And yet you thought Svechnikov played C? Sounds like many careful viewings.

Why are you trolling me for? If you don't agree with me, argue against me stop trying to make things up for christ sake. I already responded to this:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=131298401&postcount=26

Svech has all the tools to play center. Its not unusual that better center talents are used on wing on the big ice in Europe so that they get a more free role.

He has played center before too:
Center Andrei Svechnikov helped Russia win a bronze medal by recording a hat trick in a 7-4 decision
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...hows-why-he-s-russia-s-next-big-thing-at-wjac

You just need to watch like one shift with him and you can see that he is a natural center at wing. With good size, I think many many organizations would try everything to utilize his ability as a center too. Almost everyone is looking for that size at center ice desperately.

Its the same with Puljujärvi, but he ended up in EDM that has a ton of center depth and is used on the wing. But he could also easily play center, has everything it takes and has played center too albeit not that much in Finland.

Ohh god forbid you write something that could be misinterpreted at this place.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Except you didn't say that Svech 'can' play center, you said that he plays center and then made an insincere correction.

You know, you can praise Dahlin just fine without having to put down Svechnikov. And your criticisms of Svech can't be at all convincing when you don't even know his position.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
And there is nothing about Malkin's tournament play at the age of 16 that clearly separates him from Svechnikov: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4231

And I remember Malkin at 16. There was definite hype about him, but no one was yet viewing him to be on the same level as Ovechkin. For a while many considered Malkin and Olesz to be close. Malkin's stock then rose some in his draft year.

Svechnikov's domination of USHL and performance on the international stage clearly positions him as the best 16 year old Russian prospect at least since Malkin and possibly better.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We haven't seen a defenseman prospect that good in the last 30 or something years. The position is so reactive at the NHL level, that even the best defensive prospects will never be the sure things that high-level forward prospects are. It's simply the nature of the position.

Dahlin is a special prospect, but even if he is ahead at 16 of guys like Hedman/Doughty, I don't think he'll put himself a full tier ahead of them within a year.

Remember, in most people's eyes, Jay Bouwmeester was the best 16-year-old defensive prospect we have seen in the last 30 years. He turned into a fringe #1 NHL defender at points but never took that step into what was projected of him. Defensive players development also tends to be much rockier than that of high-level forwards, which again has to do with their responsibilities and the nature of the position, as a winger makes mistakes it carries much less risk.

Both of these guys are elite prospects, and probably end up in the Matthews/Eichel/Laine tier of prospect, to expect more one way or the other is a bit extreme. Granted, if all those players are in the same draft, I'm leaning towards the two franchise centers as how much they control a game (over a winger) and the less risk attached (compard to defender) make them probably the best pick if all talent is equal.

Yeah, I am having the same "concerns". Definitely all fair points. Like Dahlin needs to go from that player that -- albeit while just making your eyes pop when you watch him play -- really dominates and wins hockey game for his team next season to go first overall in this competition. No doubt, and that is like you say a huge step hands down. And we don't really know what to look for in a "D" with this hype.

I beg to differ I think he is absolutely special for a top 3 pick. Kid has an incredible blend of speed and skill to go along with a great shot arsenal. He's arguably the best Russian wing prospect to come along since Ovi.

Yeah, maybe I am cutting him a bit short. But comparing him with say Malkin, I would say that he is much less powerful and not quite as talented. Definitely not saying that he can't be ahead of Dahlin in 12 months. But my honest opinion of him is that he looks kind of like many top 2-3 picks does at this stage. Extremely special, of course, but not blowing me away like Dahlin, McDavid, Crosby and the likes... ;)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

Yeah, maybe I am cutting him a bit short. But comparing him with say Malkin, I would say that he is much less powerful and not quite as talented. Definitely not saying that he can't be ahead of Dahlin in 12 months. But my honest opinion of him is that he looks kind of like many top 2-3 picks does at this stage. Extremely special, of course, but not blowing me away like Dahlin, McDavid, Crosby and the likes... ;)

It's tough for any wing prospect to blow people away. I just hope he heads to Barrie so it's easier to get a read on him.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
How is the top 15 looking like at this time a year for the prospect class?
It's looking really strong in terms of depth and top talent. Many people as you can see are very split on the level of Dahlin/Svechnikov.
At this point the only consensus ranking is Dahlin/Svechnikov being the AB of this draft. And i haven't been able to watch as much as i'd like outside of Sweden during this year.
It's not going to look anything close to this come draft day but i think these players all have to potential to be top 10 picks come draft day.
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Wilde
Khovanov
Veleno
Tkachuk
McIsaac
Boqvist
Zadina
Lundeström
Merkley

One player from Sweden i'm very excited about is Adam Boqvist, he'd be getting tons of hype if Rasmus Dahlin wasn't the name of the 2000 draft class. But boy can this guy play, resembles EK65 a lot on the ice (and that's not a lazy comparison) his numbers club and internationally are ridiculous.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
One player I look forward to watching next season is Albin Eriksson. He's got a rare combination of size, skating and hands but is still very raw.

Jacob Olofsson is my top ranked Swedish forward as of now, but that could easily change. He's also got good size, skating and skill.

Not that high on Lundeström.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
2018 NHL Draft Led by Defensemen

While the 2017 NHL Draft has yet to come and go, the 2018 draft is setting up to be an interesting one. There have been some great performances from players eligible for the 2018 NHL Draft throughout the 2016-17 season, meaning there is more to come next season and leading up to the draft next year.

These performances have been produced by defensemen, for the most part. There is a great crop of them leading the pack in 2018. Guelph Storm’s Ryan Merkley and Frolunda’s Rasmus Dahlin, from what has been seen so far, are the two leading candidates for the first defenseman to be selected at the 2018 NHL Draft.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/04/11/2018-nhl-draft-led-defensemen/

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Not to mention that svechnikov dominated every single international tournament his age group in which he participated, something connor has never done. But the stupidest statement is still he is not "special" enough to go top 3:laugh: who is then? Dahlin, dahlin and dahlin for the top 3? And i thought the finne were annoying last year...

All I could think of was... Who are the best 3 rappers in the world... Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan.. I spit a hot fire.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Draft top 20 Rankings:
1/Dahlin
2/ Svechnikov
3/Farabee
4/McIsaac
5/Tkachuk
6/McBain
7/Woo
8/Zadina
9/Merkley
10/ Valeno
11/MCLEOD
12/Smith
13/Khovanov
14/Groulx
15/Bokvist
16/Wild
17/ Dellandrea
18/ McShane
19/Walstrom
20/MacDonald

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
1. Dahlin(Best D-Man Prospect since Doughty, maybe even better)

2. Svechnikov(Franchise Winger/Center, what ever he plays he is gonna be in the same Tier as Matthews/ Eichel/ Laine Playing it)

3. Veleno(Gets allot of dirt for having exceptional status and not cementing any where near McDavid esc stats, but he could be a face of a Franchise one day as well, reminds me of Tavaras)

4. Khovanov(Tbh I don't know allot about many of these prospects as it's hard to find info and tape on them but this guy to me looks the smartest of any players in this draft and the best set up man as well, has Elite tools in the ahead from what I watched, I could see him jumping as high as 2)

5. Zadina(This guy reminds me a lot of Draisaitl, big bruting body with a limited stature and a wicked shot)

6. Wilde

7.Tkachuk

8. Woo

9. Groulx

10. McIsaac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad