2018 NHL Draft Prospects

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But you can't blame an individual for the actions of their countrymen. And while you might be right that they are more susceptible to leave, its not because they are inherently evil, its because the KHL is a more viable option for Russian players than the SHL or Liiga is for Swedes or Finn's. The pay is usually better, and more sustainable over a career. Other than one or two instances, most of the players who've left have left because they weren't getting a chance with the NHL team. Thats the team's doing, not theirs.

I don't see any good reason for the Russian factor. The only thing I'd say should exist within the Russian factor are the cultural differences. Might take some time for a Russian kid to adjust once they come over, but that shouldn't mean you don't draft good players.

But I do think you are wrong here about how teams scout Russia. I realize teams have different ways of how they draft and its not always about taking the best player, but you often times see some of the best Russian first year draft eligibles not getting drafted. Never does that happen with Canadians or Americans, and rarely with Swedes or Finn's. Might be a little more likely with Czechs, Slovaks, Danes, but those countries have less talented players on average.

I'm not saying they are evil or bad people for doing it. Just that they are more likely to. Which makes teams apprehensive about drafted them high. It's why when they show the commitment to come play in NA Junior they are more likely to be drafted higher. It shows teams that they want to come play in NA. The things that influence that are a different story but it does show a commitment to the NHL in a small way. If there was a talented Russian playing in the KHL but said he won't come over for a few years vs a slightly less talented kid playing the OHL. The team will likely opt for the OHL kid as he is pretty much a guarantee to come play for you. The guy in the KHL might stay so you essentially wasted a pick. It's why Russian guys often drop in the draft.

I wouldn't say that good Canadians or Americans go undrafted either. There are tons of very highly skilled but smaller players who never get drafted or don't get drafted until their D+1. If you have a small Russian playing in the MHL or VHL they are highly unlikely to be drafted even if they are playing well. That is changing now but we'll see if it lasts.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Both Makar and Dubois came out of pretty much nowhere to land in the top 5 of their drafts. They both started building their hype to top 10 levels around this time in their respective years, and then they both went higher than expected on draft day.

There’s Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Boqvist, Tkachuk in the mix right now, is anyone going to be able to get into that group by the end of the year?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think it already was Zadina, well maybe not quite as big a rise but I recall some ranking had him in the teens I believe to start the season?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think it already was Zadina, well maybe not quite as big a rise but I recall some ranking had him in the teens I believe to start the season?

McKenzie had Zadina at 7 going into the season. He's definitely jumped up to being definitely in conversation for #2 but he was on the radar. There could just be nobody that makes an insane rise this year.

Maybe a guy like Curtis Douglas stays around a point per game and someone falls in love with him.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Noah Dobson. Was considered a safe, future bottom pairing second rounder, now he's seen as a stalwart defensively who still contributes a lot offensively, and a player with top pairing potential.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
PLD was always viewed as a first rounder. Makar came out of nowhere to an extent playing as a 18 year old in the AJHL.

Dobson is a big riser. But he was on Canada's Hlinka team and was a fringe-1st rounder/2nd round lock entering the year.

My guess for guys who've come out of nowhere would be Dominick Bokk although, I doubt he gets into the top 5.

I doubt we get a Makar like riser or similarly someone like RyJo or Scheifele.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ty Smith aka Duncan Keith clone is this years, Cale Makar, dynamic offensive dman that is good defensively.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Lots have people in this thread have hit the nail on the head. To sum up and add my thoughts of people who could rise:
-Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard could rise to the top 5 by June with continued success.
-Dominik Bokk could rise to a top 10 spot with continued success in SHL
- Alexander Khovanov is one I’m fond of and is being slept on because he’s missed so many games. He could end up top 10 when healthy and shown impact.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Dobson is probably the best answer here. Many including myself had him in the 25-40 range not long ago. He has slowly crept up everyone's rankings.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Already been mentioned a lot, but Dobson and Bouchard are the two that stick out.

Don't think either go top 5 - Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Boqvist are 5 strong prospects, with quite a few other guys in the conversation. However, I think both have good chance to go top 10, after being more in the mid-2nd (Dobson) to late 1st (Bouchard) range not long ago, so that would still be quite a big rise.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
As this thread states, it's players that you like and dislike. Players you want your team drafting and players you want your team to stay away from. I know this is a little early, but this might get more excitement for this years draft. Ill go first for my Blackhawks:

Players I want my team to draft: Bouchard, Dobson, Lundestrom, Wahlstrom, Hayton, Madden and Smith

To stay away from: Merkley, Kupari, Samuelsson, and Denisenko

These are all players my team is capable of picking based on draft position too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad