GDT: 2018 NHL Draft: Picks in Rounds 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jesus what the hell is wrong with this website. I think I'd rather it be down than whatever the hell it's doing right now.

giphy.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well, an interesting draft, moreso, with who JR and company were chatting up...NSH, Vegas, Skinner's agent.
After the two good picks in the 2nd rd, i didn't really care about the rest.
Give it a B for JR and Allvin.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Isn't it a bit unusual to trade a 7th this year for a 7th the next year?

Don't you normally get a higher round pick if you are getting the later year selection?

Maybe because it was the tail end of the 7th that rule doesn't apply.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll give the draft a solid B rating overall. The Addison pick is an A+, the Hallander pick was a B, the Almeida pick was a B+ and the Gorman pick was an incomplete (since it was so off the board, impossible to tell). The rating comes down due to them only having 4 picks, but overall, they picked good players with their picks.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Is it too soon to congratulate myself for correctly predicting that the Pens would make zero trades during the draft? What a letdown...

I guess you missed the Penguins trading up into the second again... and the 7th for 7th swap.

But yeah, pat yourself on the back there, chief.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is it too soon to congratulate myself for correctly predicting that the Pens would make zero trades during the draft? What a letdown...

We traded a 2018 7th for a 2019 7th! What more do you want ;)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Isn't it a bit unusual to trade a 7th this year for a 7th the next year?

Don't you normally get a higher round pick if you are getting the later year selection?

Maybe because it was the tail end of the 7th that rule doesn't apply.

My guess is that Rutherford's collecting a minor favour rather than a higher draft pick here.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I would much prefer to keep Kessel than trade for Skinner (and trade Kessel elsewhere).

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I like our picks. We got two players who could have been late first rounders, and at positions we need. Ideally Addison spends 2-3 years in the minors, 1-2 years as a bottom pairing guy, and then replaces Letang when his contract is up. Hallander could possibly replace Brassard in a year or two, and compete with Bellerive and Sheahan for the 3rd and 4th spots. The other players are what you expect in late round picks.

Going forward, it seems like minor moves are more likely than big ones. Maybe Hunwick out, RH 6th D in. Maybe a bottom six LW. But my expectations are low, and that's ok. We're still cup contenders, and that's all that matters

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
At least Rust and Kessel are still here. I don't mind that we did nothing because it means we can't be pissed we did something bad like Kessel for Skinner 1 for 1, or Rust for a 2nd/3rd or something.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Pleased with the two second round picks they made, especially Addison, who absolutely addresses the organization's biggest area of need. The rest I don't put much stock in.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So all that talk and in the end, no trades of significance for the Pens at least.

Still a few days left for something to happen. I wonder if we're one of the 5 teams talking to Tavares. Kinda doubt it since we currently have no cap, but JR being JR it wouldn't surprise me if he talked anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad