Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Anyone who thinks we should trade Buch is a bozo.
Kravtsov?
I was quoting EJ's post, I was just lazy and in bed haha. I would seriously try and get him locked into a 6 year deal that is reasonable now and very reasonable in years 5 and 6 when the Cap has gone up. Hopefully it has raised quite a bit by and it really boosts it's value more. I think his arc and the timing of this contract and how a 6 year deal in those last two years could be huge for a team on a Cup run.

I think Bucha finds another level this year.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Krava!

Reactions: Leetch3

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You are listing apples and oranges. Citing Crosby and Malkin? Really? This team is not in the situation of those teams. 1) they do not have the support like the other teams did 2) they are not going to be competeting for what the other teams were. Discussing the reasons for line moves for a team that has Stanley Cup aspirations and or serious playoff aspritations and and emerging team is assinine. Like it or not, this is still going to be a development year. If the make the playoffs, great. But that is not the goal. The goal is to have the youngsters take steps forward and not get thrust into roles with expectations that they are not ready for. I doubt that such statements could be made for Kane or Malkin or Kessel.
I'm citing 3 nhl stars on three separate lines.

I usually agree with your posts bc they are generally very grounded. I have no illusions of competing this year. Could they make the playoffs, sure. But you say the team doesn't have an elite supporting cast (which I obviously agree on) and you use that as a justification to load the elite talent on one line, whereas I am saying that because there is not an elite/developed support staff they need to space out the elite players. You want to take pressure off the youth by avoiding tough matchups through creating one loaded up line. I suggest taking pressure off the youth by spacing the established talent so that we dont end up with lines consisting of 2 rookies and increasing the pressure for the rookies to immediately provide secondary scoring.

Beyond that, when teams have one elite line they usually strive to get that line AWAY from the other team's top D, so then who do you think DQ will try to match against the other teams top D? Surely you cant suggest that if DQ loads up a single line he will want to match that line against the other team's best to take pressure off other lines loaded with rookies. So IF that is your plan than you've successfully created a paradox

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Someone has to go to make the cap work...Buch gets traded for an ELC and or a 1st round draft pick and Namestnikov goes for a bag of pucks and a chocolate cookie...

This allows the NYR to build in the depth behind the young studs like Kravtsov and Kakko and keep the building going. At some point a young C is going to shake loose and the NYR will have the assets to make the move without hurting the pipeline... (cough) McDavid (cough)
Dream big eh ha

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have no illusions of competing this year. Could they make the playoffs, sure. But you say the team doesn't have an elite supporting cast (which I obviously agree on) and you use that as a justification to load the elite talent on one line, whereas I am saying that because there is not an elite/developed support staff they need to space out the elite players. You want to take pressure off the youth by avoiding tough matchups through creating one loaded up line. I suggest taking pressure off the youth by spacing the established talent so that we dont end up with lines consisting of 2 rookies and increasing the pressure for the rookies to immediately provide secondary scoring.

Beyond that, when teams have one elite line they usually strive to get that line AWAY from the other team's top D, so then who do you think DQ will try to match against the other teams top D? Surely you cant suggest that if DQ loads up a single line he will want to match that line against the other team's best to take pressure off other lines loaded with rookies. So IF that is your plan than you've successfully created a paradox
So to be clear, that is not a justification. That is more of a statement that I am not so worried about spreading the scoring around this season. The reason that I am not worried about what happens if one line gets shut down, is because I still do not believe that this is a playoff team. As such, at least for me, I am more focused on the development and taking steps forward. I believe, just my view, that having a legit top line with top line players takes pressure off the kids and does not thrust anyone into a position where they can fail. As an example, yes I believe that having Chytil or Howden center Panarin is just that. Those kids are now thrust into a position with certain expectations.

My view is that playing them with vets is taking the pressure off. I view as playing with stars against the opposition's top players or top defenders as adding pressure. Pressure that they may or may not be ready for Listen if Chytil blows everyone' s doors off at camp, then maybe I am wrong. But this is just the way I see it.

Further, I truly believe that Panarin was signed for multiple reasons. One of them was to give ZBad an elite option and see what happens.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think the decision on if you spread the wealth kinda depends.

If you split 3 stars among 2 lines, are the other 6 players able to keep up or do they drag them down?

Are you setting yourself up for 3 second lines and 1 fourth line... Or are you setting yourself up for 3 3rd lines and a 4th..

If you stack 1 line are you left with 1 super line and 3 4th lines? Or does it become 1 super line 2 2nd lines and 1 4th

It really all depends on how the roster is constructed.

If the kids all reach their peak ceiling I think the rangers are far better off splitting kakko zibenjad and panarin.

If the kids falter maybe you stack 2 lines with some combo of kakko kravtsov panarinand zibenjad

On general I tend to be more on the bandwagon of spreading the wealth, however it does depend on how the 3 lines produce. I'd rather stack 2 lines in the playoffs and play them till they die... But that's the playoffs.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think the decision on if you spread the wealth kinda depends.

If you split 3 stars among 2 lines, are the other 6 players able to keep up or do they drag them down?

Are you setting yourself up for 3 second lines and 1 fourth line... Or are you setting yourself up for 3 3rd lines and a 4th..

If you stack 1 line are you left with 1 super line and 3 4th lines? Or does it become 1 super line 2 2nd lines and 1 4th

It really all depends on how the roster is constructed.

If the kids all reach their peak ceiling I think the rangers are far better off splitting kakko zibenjad and panarin.

If the kids falter maybe you stack 2 lines with some combo of kakko kravtsov panarinand zibenjad

On general I tend to be more on the bandwagon of spreading the wealth, however it does depend on how the 3 lines produce. I'd rather stack 2 lines in the playoffs and play them till they die... But that's the playoffs.

obviously chemistry is a huge factor, but to me it comes down to what roles kakko and kravtsov are ready for and what is the best for their development. assuming that are both ready for top 6 roles (which is a big if), they both need to play with good players...will kreider and/or buch be hear still to provide that support for him on the 2nd line? but we will be good again when those 2 are stars so determining what is best for their development to get them there trumps just about everything else

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Don’t know why I have to read / scroll through these pages of largely meaningless back and forth.

If spreading gives your top-6 an advantage as a group - you spread, if it minimizes the effectiveness of your top players without providing depth advantage - you go top heavy. There’s also a consideration associated with a specific opponent and how their top-6 and defensive pairings are structured.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Chytil is still the true forgotten one. He’ll be a beast as well
If chytil, kakko and kravtsov all become what we hope then i feel strongly we will see the most talented rangers squads we've ever seen 2-5 seasons going forward. That's assuming guys like buch, DeAngelo, howden improve even a little from last year. It's also assuming trouba and pan continue what they've done.

We still have guys like rykov, hajek, fox, lindgren, Andersson. It's insane

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So to be clear, that is not a justification. That is more of a statement that I am not so worried about spreading the scoring around this season. The reason that I am not worried about what happens if one line gets shut down, is because I still do not believe that this is a playoff team. As such, at least for me, I am more focused on the development and taking steps forward. I believe, just my view, that having a legit top line with top line players takes pressure off the kids and does not thrust anyone into a position where they can fail. As an example, yes I believe that having Chytil or Howden center Panarin is just that. Those kids are now thrust into a position with certain expectations.

My view is that playing them with vets is taking the pressure off. I view as playing with stars against the opposition's top players or top defenders as adding pressure. Pressure that they may or may not be ready for Listen if Chytil blows everyone' s doors off at camp, then maybe I am wrong. But this is just the way I see it.

Further, I truly believe that Panarin was signed for multiple reasons. One of them was to give ZBad an elite option and see what happens.
Sorry, I haven't been on in a few days.

I understand your reasoning. I can agree with your view and my view. I guess the play of the kids will dictate the direction all season long.

Separately but also not, I do have to wonder how panarin and zib will mesh. Both are great players and they most likely can adapt to each other, but it just seems that zibs game would match to a playmaking rw, someone that can get him the puck on his strong side. Again, it's absolutely possible that the adjustment comes, but it's just what I've noticed. Whether that was buch helping to feed him in 2018 when kbz was a thing, or when he and zucc became filthy together last season. Both times the majority of the distribution came from the right side. LW was more about retrieval and crashing the net. Panarin likes to dominate the puck, and if his position is to be his natural lw, then I just wonder how it will shake out.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If chytil, kakko and kravtsov all become what we hope then i feel strongly we will see the most talented rangers squads we've ever seen 2-5 seasons going forward. That's assuming guys like buch, DeAngelo, howden improve even a little from last year. It's also assuming trouba and pan continue what they've done.

We still have guys like rykov, hajek, fox, lindgren, Andersson. It's insane
The difference now than in the past is that we have elite skill level players in the system and now we as fans aren't stuck trying to accept that either the organization lacks talent or convince ourselves that rykov, hajek, fox, lindgren, andersson are top line players. We are finally in a position to allow 2nd tier players to become that with the room to improve rather than elevating them above what they are. The lack of pure skill in this organization has been so deflating but now we have light!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just got something really sweet from Russia ;)

s-l1600.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Separately but also not, I do have to wonder how panarin and zib will mesh. Both are great players and they most likely can adapt to each other, but it just seems that zibs game would match to a playmaking rw, someone that can get him the puck on his strong side. Again, it's absolutely possible that the adjustment comes, but it's just what I've noticed. Whether that was buch helping to feed him in 2018 when kbz was a thing, or when he and zucc became filthy together last season. Both times the majority of the distribution came from the right side. LW was more about retrieval and crashing the net. Panarin likes to dominate the puck, and if his position is to be his natural lw, then I just wonder how it will shake out.
Excellent question. My thought is that elite players will push and adjust to what they have. Look, it there is no chemistry then if it does not work then it does not work. Full stop. BUT, we have said (well some of us have said) that change ZBad' support and you could well be looking at a 90 point center that most would call elite. I think it is worth it to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad