Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Eh, none of them had a good chance to line up a hit. Nothing about that sequence would be out of place at the NHL level. Guys just don't magically throw hits on every player that tries to rush through the neutral zone, Kravtsov didn't give them anything to hit

e: about the only thing I'd say is that at the NHL level, #59 there might have kept better positioning and not lost the inside edge to Kravtsov, but I think he was caught a little flat footed

I could be wrong, but it looks like he’s talking about Kravtsov there, not the players defending him.

Edit: watching it again, I’m pretty sure now that he’s talking about how Kravtsov came to the defender committed to the poke check, not playing the body and came away with the puck in one swoop.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agreed, great moves, but that was amateur hour on defense.

#94 didn't even have to try and lay him out at Center ice but it could have used his body as the deterrent and he didn't. In the NHL that guy would get benched for his next shift at least.

#94 never had a chance to hit him. He went for the stick check precisely because Kravtsov saw him coming and beat him with a move and the only chance #94 had was to take a swipe for the puck. You literally see this all the time in the NHL as well. Open ice hitting/using the body is hard as heck especially when your opponent has plenty of space and momentum to maneuver and you're locked into one trajectory. Usually at best you can slow the guy down or funnel him a certain direction on the ice.

I'm unsure of his intentions on that play

Kidding aside I do have some concern that sort of creativity may not be well received.

Going between the legs and stuff? Zibanejad has been doing it a lot this season. It'll be well received if he can pull it off, if he can't but keeps trying over and over then he'll get a talking to I'd bet

I could be wrong, but it looks like he’s talking about Kravtsov there, not the players defending him.

Edit: watching it again, I’m pretty sure now that he’s talking about how Kravtsov came to the defender committed to the poke check, not playing the body and came away with the puck in one swoop.

Could be. The GIF starts basically at the exact moment Kravtsov steals the puck so it's hard to tell.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Usually at best you can slow the guy down or funnel him a certain direction on the ice.

Exactly, that doesn't mean you have to lay a big open Ice hit, just use yourself as a blocker put yourself in the guy's lane, don't go flying past him trying to swipe at the puck, that is pure amateur hour stuff that these guys were taught not to do when since bantams, and the pros that continue to do that don't stay in the pros very long unless they got the offensive prowess of a Brett Hull.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Exactly, that doesn't mean you have to lay a big open Ice hit, just use yourself as a blocker put yourself in the guy's lane, don't go flying past him trying to swipe at the puck, that is pure amateur hour stuff that these guys were taught not to do when since bantams, and the pros that continue to do that don't stay in the pros very long unless they got the offensive prowess of a Brett Hull.

Except in this case again he "flew past him" and "swiped at the puck' because of a move that Kravtsov made

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Except in this case again he "flew past him" and "swiped at the puck' because of a move that Kravtsov made

No, he was on course to do that before he made the moves, look at how fast he's going, horrible play when the puck was basically already at the red line or past it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean we see players get beat by similar moves in the NHL all the time. The micro analysis of stuff like this is stupid.

His 2nd dangle was so ****ing filthy though.

People often act as if this only happens in other leagues. Tell me, what should the 5 Canadiens have done to stop Pionk on that coast to coast goal? Or the Bruins when Chytil skated past them with ease? It happens in the NHL as well.

Reactions: haveandare

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People often act as if this only happens in other leagues. Tell me, what should the 5 Canadiens have done to stop Pionk on that coast to coast goal? Or the Bruins when Chytil skated past them with ease? It happens in the NHL as well.

Yeah again I kind of feel like people just think "the league sucks if it's not the NHL so any time a player gets beat it's because they're incredibly inferior and this never happens at the NHL level" which just isn't true.

other leagues may not be as good as the NHL but we should stop acting like it's all just soft scrubs who can't actually play hockey.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah again I kind of feel like people just think "the league sucks if it's not the NHL so any time a player gets beat it's because they're incredibly inferior and this never happens at the NHL level" which just isn't true.

other leagues may not be as good as the NHL but we should stop acting like it's all just soft scrubs who can't actually play hockey.

Yeah....

And ranger fans have no excuse, we’ve been exposed to shoddy defensive coverage for years now.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A bit late to the party but I'm with @Levitate on this subject here. Kravtsov was making moves precisely to avoid getting tangled up by defenders Yeah, these KHL guys are not Stevens but a vast majority of NHL defensemen would also have a hard time tying Kravtsov there. He will need to learn to pick his spots to be successful when he comes over (in the same way that Chytil is learning right) now but this is a very indicative of what type of player we are getting and how dominant he could be just a few years down the road when he's 22-24.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A bit late to the party but I'm with @Levitate on this subject here. Kravtsov was making moves precisely to avoid getting tangled up by defenders Yeah, these KHL guys are not Stevens but a vast majority of NHL defensemen would also have a hard time tying Kravtsov there. He will need to learn to pick his spots to be successful when he comes over (in the same way that Chytil is learning right) now but this is a very indicative of what type of player we are getting and how dominant he could be just a few years down the road when he's 22-24.

Yeah.

He's much more of a puck handler than Chytil is though. He's going to dangle a bunch of guys at the NHL level too, those hands are sick.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah.

He's much more of a puck handler than Chytil is though. He's going to dangle a bunch of guys at the NHL level too, those hands are sick.

I don't know. I think it is pretty close between these guys. Need to take into consideration that there's less space and time in the NHL for Chytil to operate than for Kravtsov in the K. I remember seeing Chytil do it a lot more early in the season with a good share of attempts resulting in a possession loss before anything would come out of it. Now he's not going for it as often but the ratio with a scoring chance outcome seems higher. This is what I was referring to when I said he's learning.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't know. I think it is pretty close between these guys. Need to take into consideration that there's less space and time in the NHL for Chytil to operate than for Kravtsov in the K. I remember seeing Chytil do it a lot more early in the season with a good share of attempts resulting in a possession loss before anything would come out of it. Now he's not going for it as often but the ratio with a scoring chance outcome seems higher. This is what I was referring to when I said he's learning.

I think Kravtsov's hands look better but Chytil is a good stick handler too. As you said he just tried to do too much earlier on and was stopped a lot, but he's learning

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The comments about amateur defense are hilarious.

Because there are just massive open ice hits in the NHL all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad