Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think the debate about whether or not he could make that specific move misses the point. He has great hands and ability to set up defenders. That is undoubtedly a valuable skill that will be helpful for creating scoring chances in any league.

You are still pointing to physical characteristics. I haven't really seen Kravtsov do anything that crazy from a physical perspective, but I've seen him do many things that show he processes the game differently and has the creativity to try interesting things. That's what is going to make him special.

Reactions: Lays and egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It would be insane to have Kravston play a single NHL this season for protection purposes alone. It's common sense. They will sign him to a PTO in Hartford and he'll play hopefully a handful of games down there before their dreadful season comes to an end.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This here is a perfect example of how good Kravtsov is. The out of the box-thinking is what makes players like him, Pettersson, Barzal and Keller special. Times are changing. Prospects develop different skillsets now

Does anyone think he was trying to throw it in front of the net and got a cooler-looking result instead? Not saying anything about his skill. Just that maybe in this play he got a little lucky. Just throwing that out there.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No. He cannot play a single game. The ELC slide is only applicable if the player signs the contract in the calendar year of his 18th or 19th birthday. 2019 is Kravtsov's 20th birthday.

If JG extends Hayes and Zucc and burns a year off of Kravstov's deal he should be thrown off of the Chase Bridge.

Hell, I'll do it my self.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Does anyone think he was trying to throw it in front of the net and got a cooler-looking result instead? Not saying anything about his skill. Just that maybe in this play he got a little lucky. Just throwing that out there.
Absolutely not. Look at his eyes. He knows what he's doing the entire play. Plus he's done that move before.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He has done this at least 3 times this season. It's definitely on purpose

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It would be insane to have Kravston play a single NHL this season for protection purposes alone. It's common sense. They will sign him to a PTO in Hartford and he'll play hopefully a handful of games down there before their dreadful season comes to an end.

I still think there's a chance he stays in Russia until the end of April. He can play for the national team while still getting paid his KHL salary. If you have to choose:

Scenario A: Sign a PTO, get 5k a month, play a handful of games in cities like Utica, Rochester, Albany etc for a team that is already eliminated

Scenario B: Stay in Russia, receive 25k a month plus possible bonuses for winning with the national team, with a (small) chance to get a spot on the national team for the World Championships

I don't think it's a given he will sign a PTO. Kravtsov has stated he wants to come to North America to play for the Rangers. I am not sure a PTO is that enticing.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
The space behind the net is exactly the same. This was in Ufa, where they have NHL-sized rinks ;)

Both the NHL and Olympic rinks are the same length(200ft), the width is the difference in size. The zones are different sizes and with that there is two feet more behind the net. So does Ufa use NHL zones or Olympic?
Either was really nice play by him(head up all the way, so for sure on purpose) and it is a skill you see high end players use in the NHL.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Both the NHL and Olympic rinks are the same length(200ft), the width is the difference in size. The zones are different sizes and with that there is two feet more behind the net. So does Ufa use NHL zones or Olympic?
Either was really nice play by him(head up all the way, so for sure on purpose) and it is a skill you see high end players use in the NHL.

From what I remember, SKA, Salavat Yulaev, Admiral, MMG, CSKA use NHL sized rinks while Riga, Slovan and in the past Medvescak used hybrid rinks.

I think the difference of the area behind the net differs 2 feet between IIHF and NHL sized rinks (13" vs 11)" with the defensive zone being a big bigger on NHL sized rinks. The NHL should just switch to IIHF sized rinks. It would change the game for the better, I think.

Anyway, the play Kravtsov made can definitely work in the NHL.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I still think there's a chance he stays in Russia until the end of April. He can play for the national team while still getting paid his KHL salary. If you have to choose:

Scenario A: Sign a PTO, get 5k a month, play a handful of games in cities like Utica, Rochester, Albany etc for a team that is already eliminated

Scenario B: Stay in Russia, receive 25k a month plus possible bonuses for winning with the national team, with a (small) chance to get a spot on the national team for the World Championships

I don't think it's a given he will sign a PTO. Kravtsov has stated he wants to come to North America to play for the Rangers. I am not sure a PTO is that enticing.

Scenario C: He plays in HFD and this:
45051770_s.jpg

;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
From what I remember, SKA, Salavat Yulaev, Admiral, MMG, CSKA use NHL sized rinks while Riga, Slovan and in the past Medvescak used hybrid rinks.

I think the difference of the area behind the net differs 2 feet between IIHF and NHL sized rinks (13" vs 11)" with the defensive zone being a big bigger on NHL sized rinks. The NHL should just switch to IIHF sized rinks. It would change the game for the better, I think.

Anyway, the play Kravtsov made can definitely work in the NHL.
One of the big reasons (that they won't acknowledge, but everyone knows) that the NHL doesn't want to adjust the rink sizes is that it would involve removing likely the two front rows, which are generally some of the most expensive seats around and generate a lot of revenue. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I can understand from an owner's perspective why you wouldn't want to do that. You feel like you're already the gold standard, so why change it?

I remember getting rid of the two-line pass and how it was going to be a great change and really open things up. Instead, initially, it led to a ton of icings. Teams have adjusted to post that guy by the offensive blue line who just kind of chips it in deep, but even still, you see lots of misfires.

I'm always open to suggestions on making the game better, but I think the NHL is a great product as it stands. I don't like how people seem to want to take goalie equipment back to the 70s or make the nets bigger or whatever. I think it's all genragene good.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
One of the big reasons (that they won't acknowledge, but everyone knows) that the NHL doesn't want to adjust the rink sizes is that it would involve removing likely the two front rows, which are generally some of the most expensive seats around and generate a lot of revenue. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I can understand from an owner's perspective why you wouldn't want to do that. You feel like you're already the gold standard, so why change it?

I remember getting rid of the two-line pass and how it was going to be a great change and really open things up. Instead, initially, it led to a ton of icings. Teams have adjusted to post that guy by the offensive blue line who just kind of chips it in deep, but even still, you see lots of misfires.

I'm always open to suggestions on making the game better, but I think the NHL is a great product as it stands. I don't like how people seem to want to take goalie equipment back to the 70s or make the nets bigger or whatever. I think it's all genragene good.

People always want to change everything, but then complain afterwards haha. Every time there's an expansion, people complain how it dilutes the talent etc, without taking into consideration how more and more countries are represented in the NHL. The sport is growing on a global scale as well.

The end of the two-line pass created more space but also more icings as you explained but they adjust to it. The bigger rinks, I feel, allow for more free-flowing hockey and more skill rather than power/grit. Growing up in Europe, I've gotten used to that type of hockey. You see players circle back rather than dumping the puck for a line-change. The European game is based on possession, whereas the North American game is focused more on territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's not necessarily good. Hard fought, tough, hard hitting hockey is way more intense and engaging hockey than skating and passing will ever be.

Despite that, fans in North America are so quiet during games haha. I don't think hockey on bigger rinks is "less intense" or "less engaging". It's a different style. There aren't as many stoppages, which makes it more fun to watch. But I guess, at the end of the day, it's just a personal opinion

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
3-4 years ago I was thinking that players were running out of space to keep the game entertaining, but the influx of talent that is still faster on skates, have better hands and heads to think the game, makes NHL very entertaining again IMHO. Also improvements in calling obstructions and hand slashes helped.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Hey now. I like my little city, haha.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

U dont remove the front 2 rows. U remove the last 2 rows in the lower bowl. The 3rd and 4th rows in the lower bowl just become the first and 2nd rows if the rink is made bigger.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The rink can stand to get a little bit bigger.. Not Olympic sized but to free up the neutral zone and create more end to end hockey.

Something like 5 ft wider and 2 ft in length, a foot behind each goal line

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
U dont remove the front 2 rows. U remove the last 2 rows in the lower bowl. The 3rd and 4th rows in the lower bowl just become the first and 2nd rows if the rink is made bigger.
Yes, you're right, you're effectively removing the last two rows. But that's still hundreds of seats at probably well over $100 in many places. It would also have to be a permanent removal of seats in most NHL arenas as generally, from my experience, the only moveable seats are those behind the nets. Even if the NHL owner was okay with this, you have to consider the impact it has on other events. Like an NBA game would then either need two rows of risers or something equipped with nice seats, or you'd have like 3 rows of floor seating which isn't ideal.

Anyway, beyond all that, there's the issue of the cooling systems being baked into the arena and needing to be retrofitted, and the ice plants would need to be expanded accordingly. It's costly just to get the arena in a condition to have expanded ice and then you lose revenue, and whether it's front row revenue or 30th row revenue it's still substantial. Then the AHL teams and all the junior teams would feel compelled to make the switch, and so on, which is even more burdensome for them.

I also think it actually slows the game down, and I don't know that it does much of anything to increase scoring.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The 3xpansion draft is the bigger issue. If he plays in the NHL this year, he would have to be protected when Seattle enters the league.

Yeah. I've have explained this so many times, I am getting tired of it. Someone should sticky it to the OP.

I realized I was the OP. I added it haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad