Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
That defensive play was the start of a 30-second sequence where Lundkvist just did everything you could ask. He prevented 2 scoring chances, and then skated the puck out of the zone to set up an attack while his teammates went for a line-change. That set up a full minute of pressure in the Liberec zone
Nils is going to be special. Great attitude great talent.

Reactions: Ola and LokiDog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Last season when after watching Lundkvist I reported that him being on Lulea’s third pair was a bit of luxury of a contender whereas he’d be a top-4 almost everywhere else in SHL. This season I fully expected him to get a second pair role in earnest with more responsibilities including PK and PP (that he was barely getting last season) but I didn’t see Lulea handing him a role of first pair dman from the get go (and him being just fine taking it on).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nils is going to be special. Great attitude great talent.

I am expecting him to surely suffice as a young cheap 3rd pair PMD RHS who can come in and be trusted as he build up his value, and peak as a low-end 2nd pair/high end 3rd pair guy. That would make him a sick and great value pick late in the 1st.

Lundkvist is on the right track and has all the time in the world to mold his game — but as of today, I have to also add that I am not seeing anything in his game that would make him ‘special’ at the NHL level.

Also, from my POV, the longer he stays in Sweden the better. Should be in the SHL next year too. One 3rd pairing season, one top pairing season as an inexperienced guy, and then I would love to see one season as a top guy in the league, where he can like dominate in lack of better words, before he comes over.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That defensive play was the start of a 30-second sequence where Lundkvist just did everything you could ask. He prevented 2 scoring chances, and then skated the puck out of the zone to set up an attack while his teammates went for a line-change. That set up a full minute of pressure in the Liberec zone

This is the sequence I was referring to. Luleå put pressure on Liberec after this, got the puck on a strong forecheck and set up in their zone.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I am expecting him to surely suffice as a young cheap 3rd pair PMD RHS who can come in and be trusted as he build up his value, and peak as a low-end 2nd pair/high end 3rd pair guy. That would make him a sick and great value pick late in the 1st.

Lundkvist is on the right track and has all the time in the world to mold his game — but as of today, I have to also add that I am not seeing anything in his game that would make him ‘special’ at the NHL level.

Also, from my POV, the longer he stays in Sweden the better. Should be in the SHL next year too. One 3rd pairing season, one top pairing season as an inexperienced guy, and then I would love to see one season as a top guy in the league, where he can like dominate in lack of better words, before he comes over.

A. I don’t see yet anything that would stop Nils from becoming Stralman. So low end 2nd pair peak is pretty conservative at this point.

B. He actually had almost two full seasons in the SHL before this season. This season could become his coming out party not only as inexperienced first pair fixture but more than that (I was told Lulea should be a contender again). Whether he’d be ready to come over will be more clear in the spring.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Agree with all of this. And it shouldn’t be considered a knock on the kid. It’s a great pick at that spot in the first round and he’s doing everything you could ask for.

Reactions: Ola

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A. I don’t see yet anything that would stop Nils from becoming Stralman. So low end 2nd pair peak is pretty conservative at this point.

B. He actually had almost two full seasons in the SHL before this season. This season could become his coming out party not only as inexperienced first pair fixture but more than that (I was told Lulea should be a contender again). Whether he’d be ready to come over will be more clear in the spring.

The next non-conservative post by Ola will be his first.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It'd be interesting to see Stralman's prospect reports. Wasn't he billed as an offensive-defenseman?

Reactions: Ola

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
He has a lot of ability. Impossible to call what he ends up as at this point. I'd say high end 2nd pair vs. low end 2nd pair.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Is he coming over for training camp or is that not allowed per the CBA.
I don't think the Rangers would even want him here for camp, unless they were considering a spot for him. He's been knee deep in training camp in Sweden for a few weeks already, better he remain with his teamates building chemistry and confidence so he can continue his nice progress comfortably.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good start for Nils with two apples!

The SHL is a low scoring league. A defender with 0.5 PPG qualified for top 10 in D scoring last season. It’s always good for the confidence, how national team coaches view you, to appear on those lists.

Good post and I don’t disagree with any of it.

My point was that I wouldn’t give Nils more than an even chance to become Stralsy II. If I compare what I see from Nils with what I saw from Stralsy at the same age, and say 8 other comparable guys — a few become as good as Stralsy, someone maybe even became better, more than half became a little worse.

So I wouldn’t “expect” Nils to become as good as Stralsy, but he certainly has that potential.

Also, I am not sure what listings people are going by. There are always some kind of spread available. But my eye test certainly buy the listings that have Stralman at 6’1 and Lundkvist at 5’11. I.e Lundkvist is significantly smaller than Stralman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille