Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
He just got back from Hodonin, when Kravtsov got back to Traktor after the last WJC event I remember he barely played for the first two games. He's probably just getting a break without getting scratched.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Nils’ coach, Tomas ‘Bulan’ Berglund. Not only did he once send out a goon on his team — to fight a guy who had cheapshooted one of his player — with black sun glasses on (believe me, it looks totally sick to see a player with black shades on jumping onto the ice and chasing down a guy, holding on to him a bit talking before starting to throw them), but he was a really character guy when he played to.

Anyway he was asked today why his young hard working team is leading the league to everyone’s surprise, his answer? ‘It’s just luck, we haven’t been good enough. We are getting every bounce.’ It’s of course true, like always in these situations. And eventually it always lead to a disappointment sooner or later. Get his guys back on earth and have them working hard instead to improve. 99/100 other coaches would have praised his players beyond tomorrow. It’s a fantastic group, a privilege to work with them bla bla bla. The players gets it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I looked around a bit and it does feel like Nils probably is fighting an uphill battle to make the WJC team, which is very unfortunate. He is definitely good enough to play there but Boqvist should get released form London and Toronto will probably let Timothy Liljegren go from the AHL. Brannström and Sandin is also probably getting released from their teams.

The WJC coach, Thomas Monten, recently commented on the situation on the blueline for Sweden. He said that it doesn't really matter for him is the four pro's are released because he quote "have an incredible amount" of defenders to choose from.

He also before the 4-nation, in which Lundkvist played, said:
"- The competition is incredibly hard, and if you look at the seven who are selected now, there is nothing saying that all four of the pro's will win a spot in competition with these seven [of which Lundkvist was one]. It will be a damn race and it will be the hottest kids for the moment that are selected."

Just got a bad vibe, think odds are slim for him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I looked around a bit and it does feel like Nils probably is fighting an uphill battle to make the WJC team, which is very unfortunate. He is definitely good enough to play there but Boqvist should get released form London and Toronto will probably let Timothy Liljegren go from the AHL. Brannström and Sandin is also probably getting released from their teams.

The WJC coach, Thomas Monten, recently commented on the situation on the blueline for Sweden. He said that it doesn't really matter for him is the four pro's are released because he quote "have an incredible amount" of defenders to choose from.

"- The competition is incredibly hard, and if you look at the seven who are selected now, there is nothing saying that all four of the pro's will win a spot in competition with these seven [of which Lundkvist was one]. It will be a damn race and it will be the hottest kids for the moment that are selected."

He can still play next year though. He's very young. 2000 born-player

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I hear you and you might be right but Monten will be exposed to a lot of media ire or at least second-guessing if he passes on a prospect who's in his second year with a SHL club (even with an uneven sophomore season).

Reactions: Ola

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I didn't mean Dahlin, he's clearly not getting released. Sandin, Liljegren, Brännström and Boqvist though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I didn't mean Dahlin, he's clearly not getting released. Sandin, Liljegren, Brännström and Boqvist though.

Yeah, and you easily have a 5-6 guys besides those guys who are looking really good. And like I mean if Liljegren and Boqvist goes Lundkvist isn’t getting any PP time. His only chance might be to be selected with Monten basically thinking that he fits well for a depth role as a you g D who will be happy to just be with the team even if he doesn’t play a ton.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, and you easily have a 5-6 guys besides those guys who are looking really good. And like I mean if Liljegren and Boqvist goes Lundkvist isn’t getting any PP time. His only chance might be to be selected with Monten basically thinking that he fits well for a depth role as a you g D who will be happy to just be with the team even if he doesn’t play a ton.

Maybe he’ll get selected as a forward

Reactions: Greg02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nils Lundkvist made it.

Boqvist, Brännström, Tim Liljegren and Sandin has been released as I understand it.

Pretty sick!

Comment from the coach:
"Very mobile, can play in all areas"

Ginning and Westerlund rounds out the blueline.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think many (any?) teams could justify going with less than 8 defensemen. So I'd assume all 8 make it.

Very fun!

Sweden usually rolls 4 D pairings so all should play.

Feels like things have gone against us for a while when it comes to kids on the verge making the WJCs, I didn't expect either Nils or Ragnarsson to make it and now both did. Feels great for once!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With Lundkvist and Ragnarsson on the team, I want to go to Victoria as well for a Sweden game. 26th of December looks like a good day. Finland vs Sweden! And then Russia vs Denmark in Vancouver the next day

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Personally, I think Lundkvist has had a fairly good season thus far. Obviously not on the Kravtsov, Miller or Keane level, but definitely more good than bad.

If anything, I’d say the biggest challenge is that he is a very young player in a pro league, on a team that tends to go with experience.

Reactions: Buchnevich89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad