Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Personally, I think Lundkvist has had a fairly good season thus far. Obviously not on the Kravtsov, Miller or Keane level, but definitely more good than bad.

If anything, I’d say the biggest challenge is that he is a very young player in a pro league, on a team that tends to go with experience.
I loved the pick, and think highly of him as a prospect. But, he’s someone I think should just be left to develop and not expect him to be on the radar for another four years.

Reactions: Sarge13 and Edge

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Very impressive although I did expect he’d make it. He was always put in important positions with the national team coming up so he’s thought of pretty highly there. Especially his chemistry with Boqvist on the PP although I’m sure liligren will get most of those mins this time around. Next year will be more his year.

Ragnarsson im shocked but very pleased to see him make the team

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I loved the pick, and think highly of him as a prospect. But, he’s someone I think should just be left to develop and not expect him to be on the radar for another four years.

Personally I think 4 years is too long. Next year he should start to get more into his own and gaining a more prominent role on the team. A year after to become a go to all situations guy. Then come over or one more year overseas at most. Four years means something significant happened that negatively affected his progression.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have a beef with our Swedish posters watching Lundkvist this season. Not enough updates on a game by game basis other than a few dry stats. Compare it to Miller and Kravtsov coverage.

Watching Lulea against Fargestad (Fargo?). Lundkvist had a pretty good game. Playing with more confidence compared to earlier in the season. Top6 minutes 5x5. Good offensive instincts. Not bad on a defense overall. He was involved in a goal against in the first. Happened toward the end of his shift that for the first half was very good in the offensive zone with a shot, keep in and a set up for a high danger chance. But then on the other end Nils was left in an unfortunate situation needing to cover 2 forwards in front of the net. Wrong choice on who to cover and a good play by a forward resulted in a goal.

Some context. Lulea is at a top of the standings. Fargestad is tied with them for the lead. Tight game between leaders, Lundkvist on a third pair and doesn’t get neither PP nor PK time (other than some garbage seconds) so it’s not surprising to see low total minutes.

PS But guess who was on the ice with a minute left down 0:1 when Lulea needed a goal?

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Saw another Lundkvist’s game this weekend, Lulea vs Djurgarden.

Let me tell you something, Lundkvist on a 3rd pair is Lulea’s strength as probably 70% other teams would be happy to have him in top4. Played a mistake free game on both ends of the ice. I was looking to see how he does in the physical play and was happy to see a good physical play on boards by Lundkvist winning more than a fair share of these. Light build doesn’t stop him from engaging. On offense Lundkvist continues to show good instincts and determination to bring puck on goal in whatever manner needed.

P.S. Lulea is a good team.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I have a beef with our Swedish posters watching Lundkvist this season. Not enough updates on a game by game basis other than a few dry stats. Compare it to Miller and Kravtsov coverage.

Watching Lulea against Fargestad (Fargo?). Lundkvist had a pretty good game. Playing with more confidence compared to earlier in the season. Top6 minutes 5x5. Good offensive instincts. Not bad on a defense overall. He was involved in a goal against in the first. Happened toward the end of his shift that for the first half was very good in the offensive zone with a shot, keep in and a set up for a high danger chance. But then on the other end Nils was left in an unfortunate situation needing to cover 2 forwards in front of the net. Wrong choice on who to cover and a good play by a forward resulted in a goal.

Some context. Lulea is at a top of the standings. Fargestad is tied with them for the lead. Tight game between leaders, Lundkvist on a third pair and doesn’t get neither PP nor PK time (other than some garbage seconds) so it’s not surprising to see low total minutes.

PS But guess who was on the ice with a minute left down 0:1 when Lulea needed a goal?

Written reports after every game i've watched where he played a fair amount of TOI so i don't get your beef.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Saw another Lundkvist’s game this weekend, Lulea vs Djurgarden.

Let me tell you something, Lundkvist on a 3rd pair is Lulea’s strength as probably 70% other teams would be happy to have him in top4. Played a mistake free game on both ends of the ice. I was looking to see how he does in the physical play and was happy to see a good physical play on boards by Lundkvist winning more than a fair share of these. Light build doesn’t stop him from engaging. On offense Lundkvist continues to show good instincts and determination to bring puck on goal in whatever manner needed.

P.S. Lulea is a good team.
How's Kovacs doing over there?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Miller is easier to follow in the US since it's more likely there's some coverage of NCAA hockey and Kravtsov has the "high" first round pick cache and KHL games seem easier to watch.

SEL (is it still the SEL or something else now?) games seem like they're just one more step away from "easy to watch" and we have few Swedish posters that really follow things and are ready to give scouting reports on a game by game basis.

unrelated to my previous comments, I tend to think that a good 3rd pairing D out of a late first round pick would be a solid pickup so if Lundkvist can be that kind of player I'd be more or less happy with the pick. I'd like to see more NHL teams running 3rd pair D that are more than "physical rough and tumble" guys

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Miller is easier to follow in the US since it's more likely there's some coverage of NCAA hockey and Kravtsov has the "high" first round pick cache and KHL games seem easier to watch.

SEL (is it still the SEL or something else now?) games seem like they're just one more step away from "easy to watch" and we have few Swedish posters that really follow things and are ready to give scouting reports on a game by game basis.

unrelated to my previous comments, I tend to think that a good 3rd pairing D out of a late first round pick would be a solid pickup so if Lundkvist can be that kind of player I'd be more or less happy with the pick. I'd like to see more NHL teams running 3rd pair D that are more than "physical rough and tumble" guys
They just call it the SHL now. Swedish Hockey League. I still slip from time to time and call it the SEL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They just call it the SHL now. Swedish Hockey League. I still slip from time to time and call it the SEL.

Yeah, same here. SEL or SHL. Doesn't really matter. For years I referred to the Russian league as the RSL but I finally got that out of my system now

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Written reports after every game i've watched where he played a fair amount of TOI so i don't get your beef.

Guys, before it gets anywhere my “beef” comment was more a tongue in cheek (pun not intended) than anything.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just read an nhl.com article about how Lundkvist says he had a rough start to the year. Remember when I said alluded to that and was mobbed for being biased against Sweden and its people? Lol. Hf boards.

In serious glad this kid has turned it around. Sounds like the U20 coach has this kid in pen to make the team. Probably will keep him with Ginning. I don’t think he’s at any risk to not make it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Just read an nhl.com article about how Lundkvist says he had a rough start to the year. Remember when I said alluded to that and was mobbed for being biased against Sweden and its people? Lol. Hf boards.

In serious glad this kid has turned it around. Sounds like the U20 coach has this kid in pen to make the team. Probably will keep him with Ginning. I don’t think he’s at any risk to not make it.

I wasn’t calling you out but you said it like a couple of weeks ago while Lundkvist was talking about his play in September.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Guys, before it gets anywhere my “beef” comment was more a tongue in cheek (pun not intended) than anything.

First ever NYR draftee from Luleå and I have only seen bits and pieces of him, I gladly take heat for it! ;)

Great report BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad