Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I watched the entire game posted above and that was one of the most non-de script 4 point games I have seen. I am not saying he wasn't good but it wasn't a 4 point game of a guy dominating college hockey. He made some good plays showed some skill but there were also plays where he was standing still and a goal was scored. So I think he still needs some work to do on his over all game. My guess is at least 1 more year.

Reactions: Ola

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah. He's having a fantastic start to the season, but it's not like he's Jack Eichel out there where he's just making other guys look foolish and completely dominating. He can still gain a lot from another year down there, the strength training, playing against guys that are more mature but not yet at the AHL level, etc.

I got to see a couple Eichel games in the NCAA and it was just really entertaining. Reminded me of when Paul Kariya played for UMaine back in the day. Just schooling entire teams.

For Miller- he's got more to learn there than just scoring. He's in a good system to build his fundamentals as a hockey player before going pro.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He’s probably staying for 2, as he should....

... For Miller- he's got more to learn there than just scoring. He's in a good system to build his fundamentals as a hockey player before going pro.

i expect he stays at least 3,

if he is a top 10 player as Frosh/soph,
could even wear a letter as a Jr

he's only been playing D a couple years,
B10 is good hockey with good rivalries

no need to rush him

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I watched the entire game posted above and that was one of the most non-de script 4 point games I have seen. I am not saying he wasn't good but it wasn't a 4 point game of a guy dominating college hockey. He made some good plays showed some skill but there were also plays where he was standing still and a goal was scored. So I think he still needs some work to do on his over all game. My guess is at least 1 more year.

Jesus, I guess this is a first world problem. We're now complaining about nondescript 4 point games from our college freshman defensive prospects.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Jesus, I guess this is a first world problem. We're now complaining about nondescript 4 point games from our college freshman defensive prospects.

I think a good dose of reality from someone who viewed the whole game is not a bad thing. It was said in the context of a discussion on how long Miller should stay in school and it is appropriate to note that it wasn’t in Hughes (or Eichel) dominant way.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think a good dose of reality from someone who viewed the whole game is not a bad thing. It was said in the context of a discussion on how long Miller should stay in school and it is appropriate to note that it wasn’t in Hughes (or Eichel) dominant way.

I know, I was half being facetious.

Reactions: kovazub94

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
He needs to stay there until he proves that level is below him. He is a defenseman let him cook there with fundamentals so when he gets up here he can hit the ground running. He oozes talent and I want him to be great.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I got to see a couple Eichel games in the NCAA and it was just really entertaining. Reminded me of when Paul Kariya played for UMaine back in the day. Just schooling entire teams.

For Miller- he's got more to learn there than just scoring. He's in a good system to build his fundamentals as a hockey player before going pro.
Which is exactly why I'd let him cook in the NCAA for at least one more season after this one. It's great that he's putting up the numbers that he is, don't get me wrong. The Rangers front office and coaches should be telling him to focus on the finer nuances of his defensive game in the second half of this year and sophomore season. The points will come if he continues to play smart hockey.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Which is exactly why I'd let him cook in the NCAA for at least one more season after this one. It's great that he's putting up the numbers that he is, don't get me wrong. The Rangers front office and coaches should be telling him to focus on the finer nuances of his defensive game in the second half of this year and sophomore season. The points will come if he continues to play smart hockey.

The one downside is he will still have a big adjustment in the speed-of-game difference which is so profound from NCAA to NHL. It's one of the reasons why Pionk has better angles during cycle plays in the NHL as opposed to quick end-to-end rushes.

But there's really no league that has things happen at the speed of the NHL. Certainly not Europe.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I didn't think he was complaining. I thought it was a valid point. He's gotta become a great defenseman, not just a guy who stands still and ends up the lucky beneficiary of a weak secondary assist.

He's clearly NOT just that. But that doesnt mean he doesnt still have a ton to work on

f***ing goddammit. (Pulls old, dusty tomb off book shelf) fa...fac... face...facete... facilitate...nope too far.

Goddamit Webster this is why zeus invented the internet

Apparently facete, a random thing I typed actually IS an archaic stand in for facetious. Not going to pretend I knew that at all bc I didnt. Insane coincidence

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I just hope that he doesn't put up like 35 points this season and then "only" record 28 next season, leading people to think he regressed. It can be difficult, even for forwards, to put up continually escalating point totals in the NCAA. And that's because of graduations and guys leaving early, which can rather dramatically alter the talent level on a team. Like you can be a 40-point wing as a Sophomore and then your top C and LW graduate and suddenly you're a Junior playing with a less-talented Sophomore C and Freshman LW, and you put up 30 points. You didn't get worse, the team just changed. Happens all the time in NCAA hockey. So...just trying to prepare people, if that starts to happen a year from now. :laugh:

Less points = bust.

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I didn't think he was complaining. I thought it was a valid point. He's gotta become a great defenseman, not just a guy who stands still and ends up the lucky beneficiary of a weak secondary assist.

He's clearly NOT just that. But that doesnt mean he doesnt still have a ton to work on

****ing goddammit. (Pulls old, dusty tomb off book shelf) fa...fac... face...facete... facilitate...nope too far.

Apparently facete, a random thing I typed actually IS an archaic stand in for facetious. Not going to pretend I knew that at all bc I didnt. Insane coincidence
Careful there @Webster might think your referring to his guy Zucc instead of the god Zeus..

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

My only counter to that is that those non descript plays are the ones that usually translate.

Keeping a puck in at the point, making a clean pass out of your own end, etc. those are the things that work. Not everything has to be rushing the puck end to end, even if there is some of that in his game.

The 4 point game was not something we can expect very often though. He had with out a doubt been a bit lucky with the production so far, but it’s not all a fluke.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

****ing goddammit. (Pulls old, dusty tomb off book shelf) fa...fac... face...facete... facilitate...nope too far.

It was one game and to be honest the first full game I have ever watched of K'Andre. I wasn't about to extrapolate out to his entire season so far. I was just saying that this wasn't some 4 point domination though. Watch the game, his points were flukey, he got a primary assist on a flubbed shot, a couple of secondary assists. His goal was a good play catching the puck placing it down and shooting in pretty much one motion.

I am willing to bet he did a heck of a lot more in games where he didn't produce points than in this one. What he's good at is gap control and the neutral zone. I guess you're not really going to see exceptional defensive play in a 7-5 game.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad