GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery - 7:30 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
At the nd of the day, getting in the top 3 literally would define this rebuild and give us hope. If we stay at 8/9, yes there's good talent there but it would't be a cornerstone of this franchise.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
https://nypost.com/2018/04/28/rangers-gm-knows-what-high-draft-pick-would-mean-for-team/

Looks like they're going BPA in the first round.

“If we’re in that range, we’re going to take the guy we feel will eventually be the best player, not necessarily the player who might be the most ready to contribute next year,” Gorton said. “And it won’t be a position-specific pick.

“We’re looking for assets, looking for the best players. I’m not a believer in picking by position. I don’t remember ever picking by position.”

Reactions: NewYorkNick and jas

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
https://nypost.com/2018/04/28/range...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

The Rangers, who have never selected first overall since the draft was inaugurated in 1963, had a 6 percent chance of winning the sweepstakes. The Blueshirts owned a 19 percent chance of moving into the top three from their pre-lottery eight-hole. The team hasn’t gone top three since selecting Brad Park with the second-overall selection in 1966.
“If you take a look at recent Cup winners, there are a lot of top-three picks on those teams,” Gorton said. “It’s difficult to say what the immediate impact would be of moving into that two, three position, but it would helpful, I’ll say that.”

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
At the nd of the day, getting in the top 3 literally would define this rebuild and give us hope. If we stay at 8/9, yes there's good talent there but it would't be a cornerstone of this franchise.

The more I read about this draft, the less I’m sold that there’s a big difference between 3 and 8. 1 and 2 is a different story.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
“If you take a look at recent Cup winners, there are a lot of top-three picks on those teams,” Gorton said. “It’s difficult to say what the immediate impact would be of moving into that two, three position, but it would helpful, I’ll say that.”

Love how he basically just said what some on here have been arguing for a while.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
https://nypost.com/2018/04/28/rangers-gm-knows-what-high-draft-pick-would-mean-for-team/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

The Rangers, who have never selected first overall since the draft was inaugurated in 1963, had a 6 percent chance of winning the sweepstakes. The Blueshirts owned a 19 percent chance of moving into the top three from their pre-lottery eight-hole. The team hasn’t gone top three since selecting Brad Park with the second-overall selection in 1966.

“If we’re in that range, we’re going to take the guy we feel will eventually be the best player, not necessarily the player who might be the most ready to contribute next year,” Gorton said. “And it won’t be a position-specific pick.
“We’re looking for assets, looking for the best players. I’m not a believer in picking by position. I don’t remember ever picking by position.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad