GDT: 2018 NHL Awards Discussion - 8PM - NBCSN/Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I didnt imply ****.. A buffalo fan.. Oh boy.. Not gonna go there tho...

He didn't deserve it.. Gallant did cuz he took that team of scrubs and made it work. Mcphee was GIVEN Fleury March Smith Haula Tuch Theodore.. He didnt choose them.. He was given them. Take them away.. Where is Vegas... ? He didn't pick them.. He was GIVEN them.
A) He was GIVEN them? No, he had to pick them. He had to be smart and pick the right guys, and he did. You say he got all this talent handed to him, but where was everyone saying this at the time of the expansion draft? NOBODY said this. You are just being ridiculous because your guy didn't win.
B) What the flying f*** does me being a Sabres fan have to do with anything. I mean, what stupid idiotic pointless smack talk that is.

Also: you simultaneously said Galant should be praised for what he did with "scrubs" while McPhee was handed all this great talent. Can't you see that's a HUGE contradiction?

Reactions: thegr8one66

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
70 votes is "super close"?

7 votes is "super close".

70? Somewhat-comfortable lead.

Not exactly "Justified"-level(Horses...triple-crown..reference) but I wasn't expecting the margin to be THAT wide.

In fact, I was expecting MacKinnon to win. So happy for this development 'cause Chiarelli basically traded The League MVP for Adam Larsson. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

A first place vote is 10 points. Take 4 from Hall and give them to MacKinnon and MacKinnon wins. 70 points is super close in this system.

Reactions: MacBradley

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Imagine keeping Hall over Larsson, or drafting Jones over Mackinnon. It bears repeating:
defense doesn't win championships, high scoring forwards do.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Do they publish the Lindsay voting results like they have for the other awards? Or does the PA keep that under wraps?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Imagine keeping Hall over Larsson, or drafting Jones over Mackinnon. It bears repeating:
That makes no sense. Neither Hall or MacKinnon have won anything. Defense and goaltending does win championships.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Neither of those two have won anything.

There's dozens of ways to have a contender in this league.

Some teams are just really bad at doing any of them.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
A) He was GIVEN them? No, he had to pick them. He had to be smart and pick the right guys, and he did. You say he got all this talent handed to him, but where was everyone saying this at the time of the expansion draft? NOBODY said this. You are just being ridiculous because your guy didn't win.
B) What the flying **** does me being a Sabres fan have to do with anything. I mean, what stupid idiotic pointless smack talk that is.

Also: you simultaneously said Galant should be praised for what he did with "scrubs" while McPhee was handed all this great talent. Can't you see that's a HUGE contradiction?
That guy is priceless. Coming from a Minnesota fan, he doesn’t get how smart he looks for pulling a quick one on us and getting Tuch and Haula. McPhee did something that’s never been done before.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know that in terms of what happened with the Las Vegas shooting, the horrible shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas and the Humboldt Broncos bus crash all pale in comparison to what happened in Toronto this past April when that van attack happened. Now I know those are events no city wants to be apart of, however was anyone surprised not to see the incident in Toronto not get mentioned tonight given how they mentioned the other ones? No one will forget what Ron Hainsey said during the warm up of Game 6 how the Leafs will play for the city of Toronto and how the crowd were all singing O Canada that night.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Think "Star Wars Christmas Special".

siQnSSj.gif

Reactions: sabremike

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well you need to score more goals than the other team to win, too.
Yes but you can win with 1 goal. The Islanders scored a lot of goals this year. It help them because they couldn't keep the puck out if their own net.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Is MacKinnon's PPG this season going in the history books?

No but Hall's point streak is
Technically, fifth place isn't that prominent of a place in the record books ("I'm number 5! I'm number 5!"). Still, it was a great achievement. Any of Hall, MacKinnon or Kopitar would have been worthy winners. It's just that the reaction by some to the suggestion that MacKinnon is a worthy winner is rather childish.

The Hart Trophy voters have a history of deciding whether it's for an MVP or a Most Outstanding Player. In my opinion, MVP doesn't prove as much as MOP. Plus, it's far, far more subjective.

If we just chose the best player with the worst supporting cast, Hawerchuk and Statsny would have beat Gretzky on a couple of occasions, Paul Kariya would have a Hart... etc.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This. I hate that the writers are voting differently than they used to. Yes, I know they are following the description now, but in nearly every other year, they have just voted for the best player. None of this "did he get his team to the playoffs" crap. The voters for this award have thought about this too much and are making the Hart a laughing stock.

Now that I sound like a grumpy old man anyway, GET OFF MY LAWN...darned kids.
I couldn't agree more.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Just a reminder everyone:

“The Hart Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the player “judged most valuable to a team that makes the playoffs but also isn’t too good so basically a bubble team that will probably get bounced easily in the first round...plus there should be virtually no supporting cast so the player's impressive-but-not-the-best offensive stats look cooler by comparison.” in the National Hockey League.”

Yes, I’m still salty.
Fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad