NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Two points:

1) Cleveland is royally screwed but at least they've actually won an NBA championship. To me titles are everything and I'm sure 20 NBA Franchises would gladly trade their fortunes over the last 5 years and the next 5 years with Cleveland's outcome.

2) Considering the status duo means the Warriors will probably win more championships almost every team would be insane not to want LeBron to join them regardless of all the BS that comes with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thenameless

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's a catch-22 with LeBron. You're getting the current best player in the world but for how much longer? He's 33 years old, and while he's an all-time great (arguably 2nd behind Jordan), he's still human. And to date, father time is undefeated. Even Jordan fell prey to it. You have to wonder how much he has left in the tank after such a gruelling season and 8 straight finals appearances.

You also have to factor in his roster demands. He made them in Miami, and he made them well known in Cleveland. He wanted players like Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Kyle Korver, etc. Now, he didn't want trash like Jordan Clarkson, George Hill, Larry Nance, etc but that was pretty much beyond salvation. He couldn't do anything about it. But if he goes to Philadelphia, the 76ers have to be very, VERY careful with his demands. It could also REALLY hurt the development of Ben Simmons, and I don't know if that is worth the risk. Simmons is only 21. Is his future really worth sacrificing for a couple of years of LeBron?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A number of big questions as we go into the off-season. What will the vanquished contenders do to try to stop the Dubs burgeoning dynasty from a 3-peat? What will Toronto do after a 59-win season blew up in the playoffs? What will Chris Paul do as the most accomplished active player without an NBA championship? And of course what will LeBron do, period.

Should be an interesting couple of months ahead as an NBA fan after a decidedly dull finals.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

This is a very depressing read if you're a Cavs fan. That part about Love's trade value just adds to how bad things look. I thought he'd be the one guy they could get something good back for but apparently that might not be the case.

Also, Zach Lowe is the best at what he does.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

This is a very depressing read if you're a Cavs fan. That part about Love's trade value just adds to how bad things look. I thought he'd be the one guy they could get something good back for but apparently that might not be the case.

Meh. They got a ring out of it.

Things could have been handled a lot better but I'll have a hard time feeling bad for a team that won a ring and has went to 4 straight finals when I've never seen my team do either.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

He makes a very good point about Nance. I looked at his advanced stats, they are really good (in limited minutes though) But them drafting Bennett first is the killer. It was surprise at the time and especially when the next two players taken are impact players (Oladipo and Porter). Without LeBron they are probably a 25 win team.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He already did in Miami.

Not exactly comparable. Bron joined Bosh and Wade but the rest of their roster was pretty crap. KD joined a team with Curry, Klay and Dray. He also joined a team he couldn't beat.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not exactly comparable. Bron joined Bosh and Wade but the rest of their roster was pretty crap. KD joined a team with Curry, Klay and Dray. He also joined a team he couldn't beat.
These two situations will never be linear and you can make the arguments Durant's situation was better (it was), but LeBron couldn't win with what he had in Cleveland so he made a trio with Wade and Bosh, aka an easier route.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
for a team with an abysmal history like the cavs, the fact that they won a ring should ease the pain of lebron leaving again

He never had to come back in the first place. If they pull the same crap as they did after he left the first time(some of it justified as he pretty spit in their faces on national TV) only to BEG him to come back and trash him again? Give me a break.

I didn't care when he left the first time. Didn't care when left Miami and won't care if he bolts Cleveland again.

However, it does prove to me what I knew all along. The whole "coming home" spiel was nothing but a sham.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The best thing for LeBron this time around is the Cavs fans cannot burn jerseys or get pissed if he leaves. He got them a championship, its basically a get-out-of-Cleveland-free card.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I think it would be pretty hilarious if he managed to go back to Miami myself.

Also, this was pretty damn funny seeing as he wanted to fight LeBron earlier this season:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Fantastic read.
He makes a very good point about Nance. I looked at his advanced stats, they are really good (in limited minutes though) But them drafting Bennett first is the killer. It was surprise at the time and especially when the next two players taken are impact players (Oladipo and Porter). Without LeBron they are probably a 25 win team.
I really like Larry Nance. Thought Lue didn't use him enough in the playoffs buy it's Ty Lue, the man has no idea what he's doing.

I honestly can't see the Cavs cracking 20 wins next season when LeBron leaves. If they trade Love, that number goes down to 15.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's a catch-22 with LeBron. You're getting the current best player in the world but for how much longer? He's 33 years old, and while he's an all-time great (arguably 2nd behind Jordan), he's still human. And to date, father time is undefeated. Even Jordan fell prey to it. You have to wonder how much he has left in the tank after such a gruelling season and 8 straight finals appearances.

You also have to factor in his roster demands. He made them in Miami, and he made them well known in Cleveland. He wanted players like Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Kyle Korver, etc. Now, he didn't want trash like Jordan Clarkson, George Hill, Larry Nance, etc but that was pretty much beyond salvation. He couldn't do anything about it. But if he goes to Philadelphia, the 76ers have to be very, VERY careful with his demands. It could also REALLY hurt the development of Ben Simmons, and I don't know if that is worth the risk. Simmons is only 21. Is his future really worth sacrificing for a couple of years of LeBron?
Don't forget the steroids. lol

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Fantastic read.

I really like Larry Nance. Thought Lue didn't use him enough in the playoffs buy it's Ty Lue, the man has no idea what he's doing.

I honestly can't see the Cavs cracking 20 wins next season when LeBron leaves. If they trade Love, that number goes down to 15.

I wasn't Ty Lue who didn't use him enough. It was coach James.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lue should have been criticized more for not calling a time out but I think his anxiety issues made the media go easy because it was rarely brought up and when it was they didn't really see it as that big of a problem even though it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad