NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He'll get a max contract from someone, it just won't be the Houston Rockets.

Meanwhile, according to Woj, Paul George and LeBron James are going to talk about teaming up with the Lakers this summer. Colour me skeptical. The only chance I see LeBron signing in Los Angeles is if he gets 100% assurance from Magic Johnson that the Lakers will trade Lonzo Ball. At this point in his career, the last thing LeBron wants to deal with is LaVar Ball.

Then again, if you can sign both George and LeBron, and then package Lonzo Ball with other assets (Randle/Kuzma/Ingram) in a trade for Kawhi Leonard, I think you kind of have to go that route, no?

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He'll get a max contract from someone, it just won't be the Houston Rockets.

Meanwhile, according to Woj, Paul George and LeBron James are going to talk about teaming up with the Lakers this summer. Colour me skeptical. The only chance I see LeBron signing in Los Angeles is if he gets 100% assurance from Magic Johnson that the Lakers will trade Lonzo Ball. At this point in his career, the last thing LeBron wants to deal with is LaVar Ball.

Then again, if you can sign both George and LeBron, and then package Lonzo Ball with other assets (Randle/Kuzma/Ingram) in a trade for Kawhi Leonard, I think you kind of have to go that route, no?

That has been rumoured for over a year now and it makes sense. The Lakers have the ability to create another super team and George is a good guy to have next to him because of his two-way ability.

I agree about trading Lonzo because he's just not a good fit next to LeBron and then you have the circus surrounding him. I'd try to hang onto Ingram unless you can get someone like Kawhi and the Spurs insist he's in the deal. LeBron and maybe to a lesser extent George don't want to wait around for these young guys to develop and learn what it takes in the playoffs. They want to win immediately and it seems like Magic wants the same.

It's going to be another fun NBA offseason. I can't wait.

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That has been rumoured for over a year now and it makes sense. The Lakers have the ability to create another super team and George is a good guy to have next to him because of his two-way ability.

I agree about trading Lonzo because he's just not a good fit next to LeBron and then you have the circus surrounding him. I'd try to hang onto Ingram unless you can get someone like Kawhi and the Spurs insist he's in the deal. LeBron and maybe to a lesser extent George don't want to wait around for these young guys to develop and learn what it takes in the playoffs. They want to win immediately and it seems like Magic wants the same.

It's going to be another fun NBA offseason. I can't wait.
It'd be interesting to see the rest of the supporting cast on the Lakers, though. IIRC they have to renounce Julius Randle's rights if they want to sign both George and LeBron. Then, if they're going to acquire Kawhi, I doubt the Spurs would have any interest unless at least two of Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma were included in the deal.

Would be looking at a mighty thin bench.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It'd be interesting to see the rest of the supporting cast on the Lakers, though. IIRC they have to renounce Julius Randle's rights if they want to sign both George and LeBron. Then, if they're going to acquire Kawhi, I doubt the Spurs would have any interest unless at least two of Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma were included in the deal.

Would be looking at a mighty thin bench.

Yeah, the bench will almost certainly be weak if they want LeBron, George, and another star.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Warriors are apparently going to meet with Lebron.

LOL.

I mean there are super teams, and then there is 82-0.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bron won't go to GSW. Seriously doubt he takes an easy way out like KD.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
LeBron's leaving Dan Gilbert with this after he bounces in a month or so........

Kevin Love$24M$25.5M
George Hill$19M
Tristan Thompson$17.5M$18.5M
J.R. Smith$14.7M$15.7M
Jordan Clarkson$12.5M$13.4M
Kyle Korver $7.5M$7.5M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's actually disgusting. The only player from that list worthy of making more than Kyle Korver's 7.5M per season is Kevin Love. They should be making a combined 55M at the very most, yet they're making a combined 95.2M next season and 80.6M the season after not including George Hill.

Enjoy bottom-3 finishes for the next few years, Cleveland. Just be happy LeBron gave you a title.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
LeBron got them paid.
That's one thing I will always blame LeBron for. What was his obsession with getting players like Tristan Thompson, J.R. Smith, and Iman Shumpert paid much more than their market value? Never made sense to me.

It's why I'm not exactly sympathetic for his lack of team support. It's astonishing what he's been able to do with this team, but it's mostly his own doing with players like TT, JR, Love, Shumpert earlier, etc.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That's one thing I will always blame LeBron for. What was his obsession with getting players like Tristan Thompson, J.R. Smith, and Iman Shumpert paid much more than their market value? Never made sense to me.

It's why I'm not exactly sympathetic for his lack of team support. It's astonishing what he's been able to do with this team, but it's mostly his own doing with players like TT, JR, Love, Shumpert earlier, etc.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "his agency" represent Thompson and Smith.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "his agency" represent Thompson and Smith.
No I understand that, but I would expect someone like LeBron James to have a little more foresight and common sense instead of forcing the Cavs to wildly overpay a bunch of marginal players.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The league blocked Paul going to the Lakers a few yrs. back, I think they'd have to block James to the Warriors as well. I get a free agent can go where they want but you also want the league to be competitive. James, Curry, and Durant in the same lineup would guarantee you at least 80 wins.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The league blocked Paul going to the Lakers a few yrs. back, I think they'd have to block James to the Warriors as well. I get a free agent can go where they want but you also want the league to be competitive. James, Curry, and Durant in the same lineup would guarantee you at least 80 wins.
League blocked Paul because at the time the league own the Hornets IIRC.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Has Stephen A Smith ever said anything reliable?

Probably once in a while. I've grown to secretly like him as he is highly entertaining. Dan Lebatard also playfully mocks him on his radio show as well.

Simply he wanted to stick it to Dan Gilbert. These, among others, are the guys that LeBron wanted and Gilbert has paid out the wazoo for him.

Only for this clown to pout and claim he has no help. Then wonder why their team chemistry is awful. Case in point: they brought back Kendrick Perkins just to ride the pine and shine Lebron's shoes after playing all year in the G-League.

Why he doesn't receive any more flack for this I'll never know.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I think he has been gone for awhile. However getting pimp slapped by the same team again all but clinched it for me.

I don't have any idea where he'll go. But it's a huge buyer beware due to his age(despite his current season) and the fact of him having roster input. Just take a look of how that worked in Cleveland.

With Magic involved in the Lakers and all the LA rumors prior to this, I could see this happening. Much like Miami, Magic is the type of guy who won't let him completely screw the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->