2018 MLB Trade Speculation Thread

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Mets really have 3 ways they can go about it:

1) Blow it up now (not happening)
2) Sign deGrom long-term in the next few weeks/months and hope you catch lightning in a bottle at some point
3) Not sign deGrom, but you go all in the next 2-3 years (no way this happens with how cheap Wilpon is)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Possibly, but if you trade them, you're looking at a lot longer from contending.

Peterson and Kay are couple years away. Dunn we probably see next year, Alonso later this year. Kelenic 3-4 years away. Vientos and Gimenez at least 3 years away. They have some talent but it's still ways away. In majors they have Nimmo who looks like an All Star and Rosario. They need more and DeGrom's value is at it's peak. What they don't want is being forced to trade DeGrom with less than 12 months to go.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
From what I've seen the Nats' ownership intervened and stopped management from acting as a seller at the deadline. Selling off known commodities at the deadline would be pretty devastating for the public image of the franchise in the area...but being 3rd in the NL East for the foreseeable future would have a similar effect.

Nats just don't have the balls to accept their gambit has failed and are instead hoping for an against the odds miracle run.

Sep 19, 2008
From what I've seen the Nats' ownership intervened and stopped management from acting as a seller at the deadline. Selling off known commodities at the deadline would be pretty devastating for the public image of the franchise in the area...but being 3rd in the NL East for the foreseeable future would have a similar effect.

Nats just don't have the balls to accept their gambit has failed and are instead hoping for an against the odds miracle run.

It's certainly not against the odds. The division and WC are within reach.

Geez. Comments like these I expect on /r/nationals, not here.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yep, Nats aren't even close to rebuild mode yet. Phills and Braves are too young to be sure things.

I only say that they should trade Bryce because I don't think he'll re-sign there and a return package could include an offset bat along with prospects.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Even if they squeak into the playoffs, they arne't going to beat the Cubs or Dodgers. Making the playoffs as the endgame for this team is kinda funny

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Even if they squeak into the playoffs, they arne't going to beat the Cubs or Dodgers. Making the playoffs as the endgame for this team is kinda funny

I remember a year when there was a hockey team named the capitals who were told they would never get to the third round, would never get past the penguins. Whatever happened to them?

Reactions: G F O P

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Nats shouldn't sell off for a total rebuild, but it makes sense to get rid of free agents to be and guys who are under-performing and unlikely to get better.

Their odds of making the playoffs are fairly slim at this point. 85 wins tends to be the absolute baseline for making the WC, but quite often it's more like 87-89 and sometimes more like 92. For them to get 85 they need to go 33-24 the rest of the way, for them to get to 89 they need to go a fantastic but not unheard of 37-20. But anything more would require a historic run.

However, our instinct that tells us it's possible..is based on our preseason views about the Nats and not what we've seen this season. Little about their level of play this year indicates that they're capable of even going significantly above .500.

Fivethirtyeight (i.e. Nate Silver, who I think is better at baseball than at politics) predict the Nats to get a final record of 82-80. Sure, we can tell ourselves that they could flip another 5-7 wins but that's a lot of ground in 57 games.

Sep 19, 2008
Nats shouldn't sell off for a total rebuild, but it makes sense to get rid of free agents to be and guys who are under-performing and unlikely to get better.

Their odds of making the playoffs are fairly slim at this point. 85 wins tends to be the absolute baseline for making the WC, but quite often it's more like 87-89 and sometimes more like 92. For them to get 85 they need to go 33-24 the rest of the way, for them to get to 89 they need to go a fantastic but not unheard of 37-20. But anything more would require a historic run.

However, our instinct that tells us it's possible..is based on our preseason views about the Nats and not what we've seen this season. Little about their level of play this year indicates that they're capable of even going significantly above .500.

Fivethirtyeight (i.e. Nate Silver, who I think is better at baseball than at politics) predict the Nats to get a final record of 82-80. Sure, we can tell ourselves that they could flip another 5-7 wins but that's a lot of ground in 57 games.

Fortunately Rizzo has some sense and isn't making any major deals so far.

Sep 19, 2008

Lol Mad dog was just on MLB Network rambling, and one of his points was that the Orioles came back from a 51-52 deficit to make the playoffs, without making any moves at all. So we know it is possible.

The way things look right now it would appear the Nats also want to stand pat, with a similar record. Only time will tell if they get hot in the last 2 months and make a playoff push.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
cubs going hard after harvey per heyman. cant access his tweets since he blocked me for some reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad