OT: 2018 MLB Thread

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The second starter Cashman talked about may end up just being Happ

With Paxton apparently arbitration eligible to make what Sonny Gray made this season and CC taking a pay cut, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Yankees go after another big fish on the pitching market since technically they currently will have s cheaper pitching staff this season than last.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
mets are gonna blow this cano trade. if they give up mcneil...

The Mets are doing typical Met things. Even when they make a splash they're gonna screw it up. Because they want to take on as little money of the Cano deal as possible they're going to give them major prospects instead of taking on the bulk of the money and giving up nothing the way the Yankees did with Stanton.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
There's no f***ing chance I would ever go after Cano unless they gave me a top prospect.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Rumored to be 2 or 3 top prospects from the Mets for Cano and Edwin Diaz.

Yep...stupid

If you want to actually win now, how about spending a little damn money ON relievers this offseason instead of emptying the farm for a closer and a 36-year old 2B just to save money on the contract? They want to win but they don't want to spend, which leads to stupid **** like this.

the Mets are a gong show

Can't argue that at this point.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yep...stupid

If you want to actually win now, how about spending a little damn money ON relievers this offseason instead of emptying the farm for a closer and a 36-year old 2B just to save money on the contract? They want to win but they don't want to spend, which leads to stupid **** like this.

Can't argue that at this point.

And with all this, are the rumors that they are looking to trade Thor false?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Looks like a steal for the Mets

Getting a top closer and great player for a few unknown prospects.

Plus they unload a few terrible players

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Losing Kelenic sucks, that kid is going to be good. Dunn has potential, but I don't think will amount to anything great. Gerson Bautista f***ing blows. Bruce sucks too. I'm glad we didn't trade McNeil.

Mets are still a shit show, but we'll see what happens going forward. Trading Bruce and freeing up an OF spot and some games at 1b will be helpful. Bruce was pretty much useless anyway. There was no true closer, Diaz will definitely step in that role and help the bullpen. Cano will also be somewhat helpful short term as long as he doesn't get suspended again.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I just don’t see how you’d want Cano long term. It’s like signing a good player to a long term contract that will hurt towards the end and then fast forwarding to the end and only getting the last 1/3 of the contract. He makes A LOT of money, is 36 and signed till 41.

All this being said and I still would’ve swapped Ellsbury for Cano. That’s how much I hate that Ellsbury contract.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I thought Cano made 21 million a year for the next 5 seasons. I’m not very good at math but those numbers don’t add up.

he makes 24 for the next 5 years. so 120 in total. 60 mil is half of Cano plus the Mariners are eating the Bruce and Swarzak contracts too.

Still not sure if all those numbers add up correctly, but Martino is also an idiot

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
he makes 24 for the next 5 years. so 120 in total. 60 mil is half of Cano plus the Mariners are eating the Bruce and Swarzak contracts too.

Still not sure if all those numbers add up correctly, but Martino is also an idiot

Bruce - $26 million over two years
Swarzak - $8 million this year

Yep it adds up to $26 million new money total.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
So we sold our best prospect for $96 million that will just go into the Wilpon's pocket since we all know they won't re-invest it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm going to assume that Cano isn't that great anymore? And I know he's signed another 5 years or more.

Man, I remember it being a big deal when he left the Yankees 5 years ago.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm going to assume that Cano isn't that great anymore? And I know he's signed another 5 years or more.

Man, I remember it being a big deal when he left the Yankees 5 years ago.

He was fine last year even post-suspension but there's always the question when you get popped for PED's, the dude played every day - if he's still using will he get caught and suspended for a year, and if he's not will he now become injury-prone, especially at his age?

My favorite post of all day (from a former Mets beat writer no less) - hint: check the date on this Tweet:

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
This trade come down to one 19 year old prospect. If he's a star, it cripples us for years. If he busts it's whatever. I don't like giving up Kelenic at all. It's stupid as hell to trade him in a deal like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad