OT: 2018 MLB Thread

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So seriously now that it’s offseason. Yankees fans or not... who does everyone see as the starting pitcher the Yankees get/go after? I keep seeing Corbin from Arizona talked about. For some reason I thought there were 2-3 big name FA pitchers this offseason and now I see most places saying it’s a rather thin market and teams might need to look for a trade.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So the Mets hired an agent? Listened to parts of his interview on WFAN (who have the gall BTW to claim they are the Devils flagship station despite not airing our games). It didn’t sound too encouraging.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
So the Mets hired an agent? Listened to parts of his interview on WFAN (who have the gall BTW to claim they are the Devils flagship station despite not airing our games). It didn’t sound too encouraging.

He said a lot of encouraging things. Go back and listen to it.

However, I doubt anything he said actually comes to fruition

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
hmm, funny how when boston wins the world series with the highest payroll in baseball against the team with the third highest payroll it’s a non-issue...

*cough* open up the checkbook, cashman.

It's a huge issue; it's the issue for which I no longer follow baseball seriously. Any sport not played on a level playing field is a farce.

There are rare instances where low-monied teams win, but these are rare. And they tend to be blips, whereas the high-monied teams are competitive routinely.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
It's a huge issue; it's the issue for which I no longer follow baseball seriously. Any sport not played on a level playing field is a farce.

There are rare instances where low-monied teams win, but these are rare. And they tend to be blips, whereas the high-monied teams are competitive routinely.

Yeah I feel bad for smaller market teams in baseball. It is really hard to compete with larger market teams with endless amounts of cash. Teams like Tampa, Miami, San Diego, Milwaukee, etc have a real tough time competing consistently. They have to rely on great drafting and player development to compete for 2-3 years and then start all over again and suffer for many years once they can't afford their players anymore. Oakland has managed to be an outlier and stay consistently competitive, but they still struggle to pay their top players and end up trading them or losing them.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It is but even if you had a salary cap at Houston Astros level (which you're not getting with the MLB union) there'd still be a $100 million difference than that and the bottom payrolls, there's always been a disparity between the haves and the have-nots in baseball because of revenue differences, as long as there's been a major league baseball and it's not really affecting general popularity. You could say the same about the NBA who arguably is even worse with the have and have-not structure because of the way the sport is, despite a 'soft cap'.

And you do have the luxury tax which makes it pretty costly to spend over a certain amount for multiple years, though it only really affects the top 3-5 teams and they've made some creative accounting moves to get under the tax threshold. Even if you put a cap up teams will find ways around it, spending more on scouting, development, infrastructure, being able to spend to shed cap hits...the money differences will manifest somewhere. A bigger problem for baseball (besides the start time and length of games) is that more and more teams are divebombing into the 'be terrible to be great' mode now that the Astros and Cubs have made it en vogue.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I thought it was pretty obvious he is a Wilpon puppet in a front office that is incredibly crowded.

Which is why none of what he said will come to fruition. Everyone hired by the Wilpons are just talking heads, they don't actually make decisions. They just are there to mislead the fan base to make it sound like they are trying and then they become the scapegoats for the Wilpons. We'll see what happens, but it is the Mets so I'm not really optimistic lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They seemed to look for ways NOT to have Sheffield involved with the rotation from late last season on. When they indicated they wanted to make two adds to the rotation (and that's after re-signing CC) the writing was on the wall for him to be dealt.

Paxton's got ace talent but he's not durable enough to be considered as such. Then again they keep trying to hope Severino becomes the ace.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
They seemed to look for ways NOT to have Sheffield involved with the rotation from late last season on. When they indicated they wanted to make two adds to the rotation (and that's after re-signing CC) the writing was on the wall for him to be dealt.

Paxton's got ace talent but he's not durable enough to be considered as such. Then again they keep trying to hope Severino becomes the ace.

I didn’t think of it that way. Good call.

Severino
Paxton
Tanaka
Sabathia

And whatever Starter they get through FA to be mixed in their somewhere.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He is a good piece. One of the better ones available on the trade market, and should fit in with Tanaka and Sevo already in the rotation.

Price seems steep to me, especially with how much cashman didn’t want to trade Sheffield in the past. Maybe the soured on him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad