2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
He gets on base less than 30% of the time.

Thank you. I wasn't aware that Billy Hamilton was a bad offensive player. Here's the thing though, the Rockies outfield defense is complete shit so like I said, if the Rockies could improve their offense in other areas like 1B, 2B and C and play Dahl full time improving one of their corner outfield spots and then move Blackmon to the other corner and then sign Hamilton to bat at the bottom of the order and play defense, they would improve immensely.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
^ yep. You don't realize how important defense is until you have a bad one (especially up the middle of the field).

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Nope. You don't need an OBP < .300 to get good defense.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Nope. You don't need an OBP < .300 to get good defense.

Hamilton doesn't just play good defense, he plays elite defense and elite center field defense at Coors Field is incredibly valuable. And there are no really good defenders in center field in the free agent market and the cost to get that in a trade probably isn't worth it. This would be a low risk, low cost way to improve the team assuming they can upgrade elsewhere offensively.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hamilton doesn't just play good defense, he plays elite defense and elite center field defense at Coors Field is incredibly valuable. And there are no really good defenders in center field in the free agent market and the cost to get that in a trade probably isn't worth it. This would be a low risk, low cost way to improve the team assuming they can upgrade elsewhere offensively.

Yup. The outfield is huge at Coors.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Jesus it must be awful to be Marlin fan

only the yankees, red sox, and giants have won more titles in the past 21 years than the marlins have

always amazes me how that franchise has won two titles with the way they operate. and the fact that they've never won their division

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
only the yankees, red sox, and giants have won more titles in the past 21 years than the marlins have

always amazes me how that franchise has won two titles with the way they operate. and the fact that they've never won their division

Other than NYY, BOS, SFG, you have to go back to 1982 to find another team that has more WS wins than the Marlins with St. Louis having wins in 82, 06, 11. Obviously not a fair comparison though as Marlins only came into the league in 93.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The winter meetings begin this week, always a fun part of the off season, I think you'll see some player movement this week through free agency and trades. Wonder what the Blue Jays will do.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad