2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Saw an interesting question...will giving up a high draft pick hurt Corbin, Grandal, Harper, Keuchel, Kimbrel, and Pollock as they declined QOs? Seems like GM's in all sports have placed an increased value to the draft in recent years.
It's got to hurt a little bit, at least some of them. Unless your team receives revenue sharing, you will lose the second-highest draft pick and IFA bonus pool money (the Red Sox and the Nationals even another pick). On the other hand, the reported offers for Harper have already been higher than many here would deem reasonable.

Gruß,
BSHH

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Thought this was interesting. Braves ownership (Liberty Media) has made so much money come in this past season (increased ticket sales and real estate sales from their mixed-use development) that they're looking into buying Atlanta's FOX regional sports channels. Originally, their plan when they first bought the team was to just use it as a tax break for a few years and sell it. Now, it's become a huge part of their bottom line and day-to-day business.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Credit where it's due:

I've been saying for a while that a lot of teams should do away with their grays as their away uniform and bring back powder blue jerseys for that, and the Cards are doing so at least partially. I think the Cubs would be a perfect powder blue away team as well.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Credit where it's due:

I've been saying for a while that a lot of teams should do away with their grays as their away uniform and bring back powder blue jerseys for that, and the Cards are doing so at least partially. I think the Cubs would be a perfect powder blue away team as well.

There's this guy on Twitter I mentioned previously that wants ALL OF BASEBALL to be back to pullovers. He's pulling a hissy fit because the Cardinals are using a "button-front jersey" instead of a pullover. I just want to do a Picard double facepalm.

I prefer gray as a road color, but if the team looks better in powder blue, they have the right to switch.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Credit where it's due:

Two teams I hate have the best jerseys in baseball. These and the classic Phillies.

Great move by the Cards. These are awesome.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Please for the love of god fire Eppler. He knows as much about managing a baseball team as the trade boards do about a hockey team.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Not close. So why bring it up Ken?

I don't get why Seattle would do this deal. Segura should bring back a nice haul of prospects on his own.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Garcia has always been disappointment and the breakout season proved to be mirage (As me and others feared)

Sox should have traded him during 2017 season when he had maximized his value and peaked in production

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

If White Sox are after a 38 yr old DH that tells me they think they can make run at AL Central next year

I am not seeing the Sox as capable of that unless they make 3-4 major moves

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Segura being really good offensively last year really went to his head. Dude really seems like a shitty teammate which sucks because I really like Segura. Seems like he's definitely going to be traded at this point.

From Divish's article today:
Questions about his ability to continue to play shortstop going forward and a perception of being a bad teammate also are very real.

I know it might seem like I'm reading too much into this, but Dee is all over his teammates social media while Segura is nowhere to be found....except when Cano posts something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad