2018 Management Discussion, Pt. III - Now with Less Trevor and More Mutiny

Sell the Team Chant

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Because he's grossly overpaid and a bad fit on this team. His contract is 3 years too long. He has a NTC. He's 33 years old. And he's quite overrated. One of the big selling points for him was that he kills penalties; however, he was the worst PKer in the league among the 27 forwards who played 150 minutes or more on the PK. He's yet another bad signing by Benning among a long list of bad signings he's made.

Like I said, Benning gave out the 2 worst contracts given out on July 1. Beagle and Roussel's contracts are awful. Roussel scored 5 goals last year yet Benning gave him a 4-year deal worth $3M per year and NTC. It's quite hilarious to see you people criticize Mike Gillis yet praise Benning for bull**** like this.
You are totally clueless about NHL contracts aren't you?Free Agents always get more $$ because it's an open market.To much common sense for you?You think any ones signing in Vancouver at the going rate?Nice dream world you live in.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You are totally clueless about NHL contracts aren't you?Free Agents always get more $$ because it's an open market.To much common sense for you?You think any ones signing in Vancouver at the going rate?Nice dream world you live in.

Yes free agent contracts often do get more money which is why when signing free agents you should make sure you are singing the correct ones. Ones that can actually help the team and live up to a contract. If you haven’t noticed this is an ongoing issue with this GM....signing bad UFA contracts. Beagle falls into that camp. This is a clear case of: should have waited for the July 1 dust to settle to sign fourth line depth.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Yes free agent contracts often do get more money which is why when signing free agents you should make sure you are singing the correct ones. Ones that can actually help the team and live up to a contract. If you haven’t noticed this is an ongoing issue with this GM....signing bad UFA contracts. Beagle falls into that camp. This is a clear case of: should have waited for the July 1 dust to settle to sign fourth line depth.
Probably should have waited for the dust to settled,i guess.He's paying for protection for Pettersson,Hughes,Dahlin ect.The wheels fell off the Canucks completely when Dorsett was re-injured last year.Beagle also wins face-offs and is one of the best bottom 6 forwards in the NHL.He just won a cup and showed his importance on that team.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Or you could learn to be a grown up and do what you like while letting others do the same. Within board rules of course.

Not a tough concept to grasp IMO.

True that. I just wish this board wasn't filled with this useless drivel. Back in the day these forums used to be informative, fun, and fan supportive. Not a one off debate club trying to prove undebatable stupidity just to be right. Now you kind of make me dislike Quinn Hughes because I associate him with negative, childish, backstabbing, uniformed whinging.

Lol, oh well, carry on doing what you like.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Benning's results have been objectively terrible, but yet those who criticize him are "haters". I wonder how Nick Lang would describe himself?

I would consider myself a lifelong hockey and Canucks fan who certainly has enough hockey knowledge and intelligence to not sit around going through extravagant lengths to bash people employed in top hockey jobs making millions of dollars per year thinking I'm smarter than them, all the while typing away on my laptop before jumping in my Dodge K-car, to go work in a completely non related hockey job.

The fact you guys think you're smarter than Benning and hockey GM is such an easy job is mind blowing, and just ....

Like, talk about delusional. Really it's like me pretending I could be CEO of Superstore, or Wal-Greens, cause it's so easy. I read books like c'mon man. It's so pathetic it's not even laughable anymore. At least Canafan knows hockey, you're just a anti-Benning follower throwing out the causal insult.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I would consider myself a lifelong hockey and Canucks fan who certainly has enough hockey knowledge and intelligence to not sit around going through extravagant lengths to bash people employed in top hockey jobs making millions of dollars per year thinking I'm smarter than them, all the while typing away on my laptop before jumping in my Dodge K-car, to go work in a completely non related hockey job.

The fact you guys think you're smarter than Benning and hockey GM is such an easy job is mind blowing, and just ....

Lik, talk about delusional. Really it's like me pretending I could be CEO of Superstore, or Wal-Greens, cause it's so easy. I read books like c'mon man. It's so pathetic it's not even laughable anymore. At least Canafan knows hockey, you're just a anti-Benning follower throwing out the causal insult.

So by your logic nobody should have been allowed to criticize Mike Milbury, Jake Milford or maybe Jack Gordon because they were employed in top hockey jobs?

I dont need to be a mechanic to figure out that a car without wheels will have difficulties to drive.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What is the causal insults looks like? I`m not updated about Jim Benning topic. Is that giving out 3-4 mil. contracts to 4th liners? :)

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
So by your logic nobody should have been allowed to criticize Mike Milbury, Jake Milford or maybe Jack Gordon because they were employed in top hockey jobs?

I dont need to be a mechanic to figure out that a car without wheels will have difficulties to drive.

Being critical is fine but trying to start a Hate Benning movement every time you speak is annoying, and just detracts from the forum of Canucks talk. Is this or is this not supposed to be a Canucks Support Forum? Why don't you guys get together and build a separate website dedicated to hating Benning. Oh yeah, because in order to hate you need opposition.

Your analogy, like most, is completely lacking, and just another bash in the wind. This is exactly what I mean. You're comparing this to a car with no wheels and then think you're capable of being an NHL GM, and bash Benning in the process.

Don't you see a problem with this when you look in the mirror.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017

Total BS to compare those GM's.Benning didn't trade Neeley to Boston or anything close to the stupidity of Milbury.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Being critical is fine but trying to start a Hate Benning movement every time you speak is annoying, and just detracts from the forum of Canucks talk. Is this or is this not supposed to be a Canucks Support Forum? Why don't you guys get together and build a separate website dedicated to hating Benning. Oh yeah, because in order to hate you need opposition.

Your analogy, like most, is completely lacking, and just another bash in the wind. This is exactly what I mean. You're comparing this to a car with no wheels and then think you're capable of being an NHL GM, and bash Benning in the process.

I dont know where it states "Support". This is a forum dedicated to discuss Canucks related things, if you want a "Canucks Support Forum" I would like to suggest visiting CDC.

Where did you read that I said I would be capable of being an NHL GM? Because I cleary never said anything like this. However, I am able to judge a bad move that is obvious from the get go, like signing Eriksson or trading for Gudbranson and then giving him an extension.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Total BS to compare those GM's.Benning didn't trade Neeley to Boston or anything close to the stupidity of Milbury.

But they were in top hockey jobs - isnt that what puts Jim Benning above the criticism of us mere mortals here according to Nick Lang?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I know that the GM job do not involve scouting players at all, and if you are not happy about player development recently maybe Scott Walker Director, Player Development is the guy, or Stan Smyl, Senior Advisor to GM & Director, Collegiate Scouting in Vancouver who more likely take decisions before a draft related to scouting. :)

My brief point is the GM position is kind of limited compare to the whole Vancouver staff, but Jim Benning decide the direction of the Franchise and have the final words in a trade related topics, and contract decisions.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But Benning had high draft picks, so he's an ******* and the worst GM ever.

No. Benning is a Pejorative Slur and the worst GM ever because :

1) he has neither the ability to form a competent plan fitting the situation he's presented nor the patience to carry it out.

2) he is a dinosaur with no ability to accurately assess his roster according to how the game is played in 2018 and build and improve that roster.

3) his ability to evaluate talent is non-existent.

4) his understanding of cap management, contracts, and the financial aspects of the game is frankly comical.

5) he has the demeanor of a confused old man and the English language skills of a preschooler which severely inhibits his ability to provide leadership, direction, and strength from the top of the organization or accurately communicate his plan or vision (if he had one) to paying customers.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

No, it’s not a Canucks support forum.

Do you see that anywhere in the name or forum rules?

Also Benning is not the Canucks, any more than Trump is America. You can criticize people in charge when they are ruining something you love. It doesn’t mean you don’t love the thing, quite the opposite actually.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
True that. I just wish this board wasn't filled with this useless drivel. Back in the day these forums used to be informative, fun, and fan supportive. Not a one off debate club trying to prove undebatable stupidity just to be right. Now you kind of make me dislike Quinn Hughes because I associate him with negative, childish, backstabbing, uniformed whinging.

Lol, oh well, carry on doing what you like.

Dude, you do more whining in a single post than any of us do in a month (see bolded).

Go hang out at CDC if all you want is 12 year old fanboys oooohing and aaaaaaahing over the greatest 20 prospects assembled in NHL history. It seems more your speed.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well that was something. Any reliable sources of this in the Canadian sport media near Vancouver, or just a general HF version concerning Jim Benning?
What I mean is there any official news or rumor concerning a new GM?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You're right about one thing. I do think the Canucks have been doing great things since Benning has started here. The franchise looks like it will soon be set for the next decade and excitement will be at an all time high when Boeser, Peterson, and Hughes share the same ice. The new core that Benning is putting together looks like it will rival and likely be better than any other core group of players the Canucks have ever had in 50 years. That's something real, based in reality, that's logical no matter how many times you say it isn't. You say you have arguments but you really don't. It's okay, we're all Canucks fans and I'll personally open the bandwagon door for you this time next year :)

This is exactly what some Edmonton fans said about Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, Paajarvi, Gagner, Cogliano. How'd that turn out?

Reactions: geebaan

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

So why sign them? I'm not clueless at all. Keep in mind though that Antoine Roussel scored 5 goals and 17 points and got paid more, for longer term, than Riley Nash who put up 15 goals and 42 points.

If the contract doesn't make sense then you don't sign the player. Especially for a team in Vancouver's position where it makes zero sense to sign anyone long-term. But hey, to use your first sentence "you are totally clueless about how to rebuild a hockey team aren't you?"

Reactions: pomorick

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Edmonton had no defense, no goalie, no mentors. So you cannot compare us with the Oilers.

Edmonton's defense was as bad as the Canucks is.

They had goaltending. But it was bad because the team in front of him was bad.

They had plenty of older veterans you could call mentors. But the problem is they were bad players, kinda like what the Canucks have stockpiled.

Reactions: geebaan

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Edmonton's defense was as bad as the Canucks is.

They had goaltending. But it was bad because the team in front of him was bad.

They had plenty of older veterans you could call mentors. But the problem is they were bad players, kinda like what the Canucks have stockpiled.

Justin Schultz, Andrew Ference, Jeff Petry, Philip Larsen, Martin Marincin, and Nick Schultz.

That was the entirety of their defensive core on the ice during an extremely critical development year for several 1st overall picks that ended up becoming major disappointments.

Are you saying that that group of defenders is in any way on par with what the Canucks have?

The problem with the Oilers is they thrusted their top picks into the lineup before they were ready, like the Canucks did with Virtanen. A mistake that the continued to repeat with every single top talent they got their hands on.

The Canucks are doing it differently, Bo Horvat was sheltered on the 4th line until he gradually developed into the player he is today and proved he was ready to handle the increased responsibility.

Brock Boeser was healthy scratched and given limited and sheltered ice time until he forced his way into prime time minutes.

There are players to help shelter the rookies while they figure it out at the pro level, in every position on the Canucks.

Top offensive players like the Sedins, who helped shelter rookies like Boeser from the pressure of being on the top line before he was ready.

Top defensive forwards like Sutter, Beagle who did and will protect players like Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson from needing to start in the defensive zones against tough opponents and hard minutes.

Top defensive players like Edler and Tanev who sheltered Hutton, Tryamkin and Stecher and will do the same for Juolevi, Quinn, Woo, etc.

Top goaltenders like Ryan Miller, previously, who helped Markstrom who will now be able to help emerging goalies like Demko and DiPietro in the same way.

The entire philosophy of the Canucks is diametrically opposite to what the Oilers did. It's true that the Oilers had some mentors but not enough. They really only had Ference as a long term mentor.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
They had exactly the kind of mentors we do, and spilled out exactly the same gibberish we are when they gave them those garbage contracts.

They didn't have a Tanev or Edler, but that's really the only difference.

Apart from 2 top pairing defenders, the defense is exactly the same. LOL. Pretty big difference I would say.

No mentors? Did Edmonton ever have anyone close to Henrik Sedin to mentor their emerging leaders? Daniel Sedin? Ryan Miller? Alex Burrows? Brandon Sutter? Chris Higgins? Jannik Hansen? Derek Dorsett? Hamhuis and Bieksa when they were here? Not even. Count the all star appearances, $$$, whatever you want to and compare them to the mentors the Oilers had. There is no comparison.

Reactions: Cogburn

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Apart from 2 top pairing defenders, the defense is exactly the same. LOL. Pretty big difference I would say.

No mentors? Did Edmonton ever have anyone close to Henrik Sedin to mentor their emerging leaders? Daniel Sedin? Ryan Miller? Alex Burrows? Brandon Sutter? Chris Higgins? Jannik Hansen? Derek Dorsett? Hamhuis and Bieksa when they were here? Not even. Count the all star appearances, $$$, whatever you want to and compare them to the mentors the Oilers had. There is no comparison.
And with the current team this mentor ship has produced what???
Adding hallucinogens to the Kool-aid can result in some strange ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad