2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Stat lines certainly look good, as do his height/weight.

Could be interesting.

What is so good about his stat line? That's typical, and most people like that only end up with an AHL deal at best.

It looks like a Toninato stat line at an older age without the defensive or positional appeal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What is so good about his stat line? That's typical, and most people like that only end up with an AHL deal at best.

It looks like a Toninato stat line at an older age without the defensive or positional appeal.

Within the top 70 players in terms of PPG, and has consitently improved while in the NCAA. Had solid BCHL stats as well prior to going to Harvard. From what I've gathered, he's got a decent 200 foot game, and he plays center as well, so I'm not understanding what you mean by without the defensive or positional appeal.

No one is comparing him to the top NCAA guys that were drafted. He's simply a guy in his final year of school, who has done well, seems to be on an upward trajectory, and could be a winger/center with size, which we could use in our system.

Whether that's an AHL deal or an NHL deal, doesn't really matter. We never brought that up at all.

Reactions: NCoRe

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Within the top 70 players in terms of PPG, and has consitently improved while in the NCAA. Had solid BCHL stats as well prior to going to Harvard. From what I've gathered, he's got a decent 200 foot game, and he plays center as well, so I'm not understanding what you mean by without the defensive or positional appeal.

No one is comparing him to the top NCAA guys that were drafted. He's simply a guy in his final year of school, who has done well, seems to be on an upward trajectory, and could be a winger/center with size, which we could use in our system.

Whether that's an AHL deal or an NHL deal, doesn't really matter. We never brought that up at all.

Usually when "free wallet NCAAer" is thrown around in this thread at this point, people typically refer to ELC's. Not too many guys talk about AHL deals this early on, because there will be so many guys that will be worth one out of the NCAA.

Even then, nothing there is really that special. Not too many NCAAer's, unless they were among the best in the NCAA in one or more categories, become much of anything. Top 70 in PPG, a decent defensive game, some size and an upward trajectory describes a lot of guys in the NCAA right now.

Keep tabs on him. Maybe he has a good season and can provide Growlers' depth and be a part of our next batch, but this team is not lacking depth or size to the point where this guy would be of any sort of note or significance at this point. Just like most of the guys we eventually brought in for this year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Usually when "free wallet NCAAer" is thrown around in this thread at this point, people typically refer to ELC's. Not too many guys talk about AHL deals this early on, because there will be so many guys that will be worth one out of the NCAA.

Even then, nothing there is really that special. Not too many NCAAer's, unless they were among the best in the NCAA in one or more categories, become much of anything. Top 70 in PPG, a decent defensive game, some size and an upward trajectory describes a lot of guys in the NCAA right now.

Keep tabs on him. Maybe he has a good season and can provide Growlers' depth and be a part of our next batch, but this team is not lacking depth or size to the point where this guy would be of any sort of note or significance at this point. Just like most of the guys we eventually brought in for this year.

The other poster brought him up, and I said he could be interesting.

I don't see what you're trying to say.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Man sign someone already I am bored.

Besides signing Nylander, there is nothing really on the signing front the Leafs can do right now. They don't have any room for anybody. They don't even have room for all of the guys they already have on contracts, even when you consider there will be some extras for depth reasons. Some people want PTO's, but those come closer to training camp usually and there still is no room for any of them.

Trades make a lot more sense. Right now they have at least one goalie, if not two, who should be traded. Apparently Pickard has been shopped around, so it should not be too long before a reasonable deal can be negotiated. Someone like Nielsen could be shipped out as well, because 8 full time defensemen in the AHL is tough to fit. Besides that, the obvious one is getting an improvement for the Leafs' defense.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The other poster brought him up, and I said he could be interesting.

I don't see what you're trying to say.

Probably in the most simplest terms, that he's not special. I guess "not special" could still be considered "interesting", but at the same time I doubt we would be talking about him if this was not the time of the year where NHL hockey is essentially a wasteland :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Probably in the most simplest terms, that he's not special. I guess "not special" could still be considered "interesting", but at the same time I doubt we would be talking about him if this was not the time of the year where NHL hockey is essentially a wasteland :laugh:

Well of course not, but most undrafted NCAA prospects aren't really talked about until they are about to sign in March.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Give Kevin Bieksa a PTO.

A RHD and local boy, cant hurt. We also need as face puncher for pre-season games. I cant see Babcock taking any chances with his young guns in the pre-season

Reactions: ACC1224

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Give Kevin Bieksa a PTO.

A RHD and local boy, cant hurt. We also need as face puncher for pre-season games. I cant see Babcock taking any chances with his young guns in the pre-season

I can't seem to find the quote, but I seem to remember Kevin Bieksa said a few years back that he hates the Leafs and wouldn't want to play for Toronto. This was before our turn around, but thats always left a sour taste in my mouth.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bieksa might end up getting a PTO with Edmonton if he can't get a guaranteed contract elsewhere. I would bet on a PTO though, he's nearly done.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe the Leafs will be inviting a couple of players in PTO.

One will be a D another will be a F. I am hoping they invite either Shore or Winnik on a PTO. And also hoping they invite someone like Sbisa for one if he doesn't sign. Could be useful on D.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Only PTO’s that interest me would be...

Winnik

That’s it. I really like what we have coming up. I believe Borgman, Holl, and Rosen really deserve a legitimate opportunity to make the team. Not to mention, let’s see what we have in Ozhiganov.

As for our forwards, Kapanen, Johnson, and Leivo should have spots. With Lindholm and Grundstrom, and Ennis fighting for spots.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Only PTO’s that interest me would be...

Winnik

That’s it. I really like what we have coming up. I believe Borgman, Holl, and Rosen really deserve a legitimate opportunity to make the team. Not to mention, let’s see what we have in Ozhiganov.

As for our forwards, Kapanen, Johnson, and Leivo should have spots. With Lindholm and Grundstrom, and Ennis fighting for spots.

I think Lindholm doesn't need to fight for a spot its basically his to lose as 4th line center. Grundstrom, Ennis and Leivo should be fighting for 2 spots on 4th line. That's the way I see it.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Brown-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-OPEN

Winger spot on 4th line open, and spare forward spot in press box is open. My guess is that Grundstrom starts in the AHL for more seasoning. Ennis/Leivo alternate for 4th winger spot. But Lindholm is a lock, there are no other options unless you bring Winnik on PTO and he beats out Lindholm or other for a 4th line spot.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
On the main boards a stars fan and I struck a deal for seguin for 2019 1st, 2019 2nd, sandin and connor brown. Would the leafs do that? Heck no. And that is a crazy return for just one year or for a few games if at the deadline. I understand that. But a fantasy lineup down the middle of jt, am, naz and seguin would be so much fun to watch haha,

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
On the main boards a stars fan and I struck a deal for seguin for 2019 1st, 2019 2nd, sandin and connor brown. Would the leafs do that? Heck no. And that is a crazy return for just one year or for a few games if at the deadline. I understand that. But a fantasy lineup down the middle of jt, am, naz and seguin would be so much fun to watch haha,

jeez leafs could revolutionize the game 5 forwards per shift. You know what f*** it 6 forwards no gaolie teach the players, first man back try and block the goal

Reactions: ER89

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Unfortunately, trades aren't made to placate fan boredom. ;)

This is false. I can confirm Bergevin traded Rychel for Shinkaruk yesterday because he wanted a transaction to happen for the fans sake. Sadly he's as bad at generating actual excitement with his trades as he is generating an actual good team with them.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No. We never offered him a contract, and he went back into the draft in 2017... undrafted.

Very talented, unfortunatetly injuries kind of killed his development. He was apparently decent defensively, was a great skater and had physicality. Pair that with good offensive skills and he could have been a 7th round skill. Injuries kind of sapped his skating ability though, and put him a few years behind. In a few years, when he's 23 or 24, I can see him doing well enough in the KHL to earn an NHL deal from someone though. Assuming things go his way.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Very talented, unfortunatetly injuries kind of killed his development. He was apparently decent defensively, was a great skater and had physicality. Pair that with good offensive skills and he could have been a 7th round skill. Injuries kind of sapped his skating ability though, and put him a few years behind. In a few years, when he's 23 or 24, I can see him doing well enough in the KHL to earn an NHL deal from someone though. Assuming things go his way.

His skating is what held him back if I recall, the acceleration just wasn't there.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
His skating is what held him back if I recall, the acceleration just wasn't there.

I think it was the injuries that caused that though. I remember reading places that skating was a strength before he got hurt in his draft year. Sometimes it's just out of your hands. I do not think Korostelev really could have done anything differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad