2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Simmonds is an amazing fit for us... The problem is we will have to trade him or someone as soon as next season. We arent in a position to be adding any kind of salary that goes past this season atm.

Not to mention given his style of play, there's a VERY good chance he shows heavy decline within 1-2 years.

Heck, it may have already started. He didn't hit 50+ points for the first time in quite a few years last year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I was thinking about Pickard. Is there any AHL goalie prospects that are still waiver exempt owned by teams looking for an NHL backup?

- So Toronto gets an AHL goalie prospect that can lead the Marlins without a waiver risk
- Team B accelerated development and acquired an NHL capable backup for a prospect still needing AHL seasoning

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was thinking about Pickard. Is there any AHL goalie prospects that are still waiver exempt owned by teams looking for an NHL backup?

- So Toronto gets an AHL goalie prospect that can lead the Marlins without a waiver risk
- Team B accelerated development and acquired an NHL capable backup for a prospect still needing AHL seasoning

Well the Leafs could always acquire a goalie in return. For example:

Calgary: Rittich or Gillies (likely the former)
LA: Campbell or Peterson (although LA will likely just stick with those two + Budaj as their backup)
Washington: Copley
Winnipeg: Comrie, Brossoit (although recently signed)

Although the Leafs would be better off getting a guy who is somewhat NHL capable in case Sparks is not ready over a prospect. They have good prospects coming up, but they could use some insurance beyond Kaskisuo in the near future (if they decide to move McElhinney and Pickard).

HC7

May 2, 2018
Was watching WCOH highlights and noticed how terrible Zaitsev played. Then started messing around in CapFriendly. If we're able to unload both Marleau, and Horton (1 year remaining next summer), as well as send Zaitsev to Edmonton for whatever, we have enough cap to actually make a run at EK65. The money to re-sign young players like Rielly, Dermott hopefully come from the cap going up. Johnsson and Kap both have high cap hits here because I figured they'd sign 4-6 year deals. If they sign a 3 year deal we'd have even more room.

a49f964934.png

Just goes to show how much wasted space we have in Zaitsev, Marleau, and Horton.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Was watching WCOH highlights and noticed how terrible Zaitsev played. Then started messing around in CapFriendly. If we're able to unload both Marleau, and Horton (1 year remaining next summer), as well as send Zaitsev to Edmonton for whatever, we have enough cap to actually make a run at EK65. The money to re-sign young players like Rielly, Dermott hopefully come from the cap going up. Johnsson and Kap both have high cap hits here because I figured they'd sign 4-6 year deals. If they sign a 3 year deal we'd have even more room.

a49f964934.png

Just goes to show how much wasted space we have in Zaitsev, Marleau, and Horton.

Horton could really only go to MTL or NYR because his contract isn't insured. We'd maybe have to send a 2nd MTL's way to get rid of it.

If you want to dump Zaitsev somewhere, a contract needs to come back, expect Russell or maybe Sekera to be in that deal.

Marleau's contract will be interesting, he would be similar to Matt Martin, after July 1st he'd get traded because he'd only have a 1.5M salary after that.

You definitely overestimated on Johnsson, Kappy, Lindholm and Borgman though IMO.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Horton could really only go to MTL or NYR because his contract isn't insured. We'd maybe have to send a 2nd MTL's way to get rid of it.

If you want to dump Zaitsev somewhere, a contract needs to come back, expect Russell or maybe Sekera to be in that deal.

Marleau's contract will be interesting, he would be similar to Matt Martin, after July 1st he'd get traded because he'd only have a 1.5M salary after that.

You definitely overestimated on Johnsson, Kappy, Lindholm and Borgman though IMO.

I tried to go fair to high value to be safe.

I actually had Horton to MTL for a 2nd and 4th in my head.

I feel like there's at least 1 team in the league that will take Zaitsev without sending a contract back. It makes us incredibly weak on the right side this year, but I feel like if he plays the whole season his contract will be immovable.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I tried to go fair to high value to be safe.

I actually had Horton to MTL for a 2nd and 4th in my head.

I feel like there's at least 1 team in the league that will take Zaitsev without sending a contract back. It makes us incredibly weak on the right side this year, but I feel like if he plays the whole season his contract will be immovable.

We could up the value on our end with MTL and maybe make a more worthwhile deal.

1st, Horton, Borgman/Rosen for Petry

In terms of Zaitsev, it's make or break this year. If he has a bad year, the contract becomes unmoveable. If he has a good year then I don't think they'll move him. Mirtle has said a few different times in the Athletic that he feels Dubas and the analytics group aren't as high on Zaitsev and his contract and therefore he is a candidate to move. Mirtle is kind of a mouth piece for Dubas.

Reactions: Menzinger

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

a49f964934.png

Zaitsev didnt just forget how to play hockey. He had injury and health concerns pretty well all season. Lets give him a fresh start maybe?

HC7

May 2, 2018
Zaitsev didnt just forget how to play hockey. He had injury and health concerns pretty well all season. Lets give him a fresh start maybe?

Watch him play in the WCOH. He looks like Russia's worst D. Whenever he's on they're getting dominated.

On the Leafs it's the same thing. He can't break the puck out, and it turns the shift into a fire sale.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What is this nonsense about moving Marleau. He's a NMC. Zaitsev is almost untradable after last season. So either he plays better (which I think he will) or else the Leafs are stuck with a bad contract.
Horton's contract isn't really a problem. Actually it more of an issue this year to prevent Performance B0nus carryover than next season. And what owner wants to pay the uninsured Horton 10.6m for not playing? So Horton stays a Leafs too.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

People are also very unrealistic about what 4.5M gets for a Dman. That's #3 or even #4 money.

Look at the contracts that Smith, De Haan, Cole, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Alzner, Russell, etc. have all signed for.

I'd bet on Zaitsev over any of those guys especially cause he's a right D.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem worth Zaitsev is the term on the deal. If he DOESNT bounce back his contract definitely becomes an anchor.its also not as of his first season was hat good either - hisbpoint totals likely inflated by the PP and secondary assists

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We could up the value on our end with MTL and maybe make a more worthwhile deal.

1st, Horton, Borgman/Rosen for Petry

In terms of Zaitsev, it's make or break this year. If he has a bad year, the contract becomes unmoveable. If he has a good year then I don't think they'll move him. Mirtle has said a few different times in the Athletic that he feels Dubas and the analytics group aren't as high on Zaitsev and his contract and therefore he is a candidate to move. Mirtle is kind of a mouth piece for Dubas.

Yeah Mirtle has suggested that a few dimes which makes me wonder if he’s got some insider info

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The problem worth Zaitsev is the term on the deal. If he DOESNT bounce back his contract definitely becomes an anchor.its also not as of his first season was hat good either - hisbpoint totals likely inflated by the PP and secondary assists

Gardiner scores 29.3% of his points on the PP.
Rielly scores 37.2% of his points on the PP.
Zaitsev scores 23.4% of his points on the PP.

Zaitsev also has the 4th highest Primary Points per 60, behind Rielly, Gardiner and Borgman (and technically Holl as well).

So....

Last edited:
Reactions: cookie

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Gardiner scores 29.3% of his points on the PP.
Rielly scores 37.2% of his points on the PP.
Zaitsev scores 23.4% of his points on the PP.

Zaitsev also has the 4th highest Primary Points per 60, behind Rielly, Gardiner and Borgman (and technically Holl as well).

So....

Why are you just giving us points totals?

He's playing beside Gardiner and still somehow has poor possession numbers, he moves the puck like it's a live grenade and he won't hold his own blueline and backs in way to much

He's got tools but I'd really question his mental game

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why are you just giving us points totals?

He's playing beside Gardiner and still somehow has poor possession numbers, he moves the puck like it's a live grenade and he won't hold his own blueline and backs in way to much

He's got tools but I'd really question his mental game

Why am I showing points? uh... because the poster I was talking to said his points are likely influenced by powerplay and secondary points?

I don't disagree. Last year was a poor year for him. His CF% and xGF% numbers were low, and he wasn't playing confident.

However, I do attribute that to getting his head plowed in at the end of his rookie season. People are somehow still unaware of how long concussions can affect a player, even if they clear a concussion symptom test. As you said, he's got tools, we all know he has the tools of a quality top 4 guy. He showed that in his rookie year. Last year was not good, no one is going to argue that.

However, let's see how he does when hes had the summer to train, and is fully healthy. If he comes out, and looks good, great. We have him locked in at 4.5M, and hopefully he doesn't get another concussion.

If not, you start to shelter him, and hope you can send him to Chiarelli :laugh:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why am I showing points? uh... because the poster I was talking to said his points are likely influenced by powerplay and secondary points?

I don't disagree. Last year was a poor year for him. His CF% and xGF% numbers were low, and he wasn't playing confident.

However, I do attribute that to getting his head plowed in at the end of his rookie season. People are somehow still unaware of how long concussions can affect a player, even if they clear a concussion symptom test. As you said, he's got tools, we all know he has the tools of a quality top 4 guy. He showed that in his rookie year. Last year was not good, no one is going to argue that.

However, let's see how he does when hes had the summer to train, and is fully healthy. If he comes out, and looks good, great. We have him locked in at 4.5M, and hopefully he doesn't get another concussion.

If not, you start to shelter him, and hope you can send him to Chiarelli :laugh:

The season before last I think Rielly may have been carrying him a lot more than he was been given credit for

Even though his QOC took a drop he still struggled with a partner he could defer to which is troubling

It just hasn't happened, I'm not saying give up on the guy because I think he has top 4 tools but his contract scares the **** out of me

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The season before last I think Rielly may have been carrying him a lot more than he was been given credit for

Even though his QOC took a drop he still struggled with a partner he could defer to which is troubling

It just hasn't happened, I'm not saying give up on the guy because I think he has top 4 tools but his contract scares the **** out of me

I don't disagree with the contract. It was a 100% gamble contract. Either he cements himself as a top 4 d-man in the next year or two and the contract looks good, or he fails to take the next step and we are paying a bottom pairing d-man 4.5M. Unfortunatley he suffered a pretty serious concussion, and then returned too early in the Caps series because Polak destroyed his leg, and he had a rough year last year.

Me personally, I'm not to worried. I think a lot of it was lingering from the concussion, and I think he will bounce back. But again, that's just my opinion, and there's obviously a risk.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
The WCOH was before Zaitsev’s rookie season... perhaps he is thinking WHC? And if he is, Zaitsev did play well...

The anti-Zaitsev narrative is just as bad as the anti-Hyman narrative

It’s really not.

Hyman is a reasonably productive and effective player in a premium role for very little money.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't disagree with the contract. It was a 100% gamble contract. Either he cements himself as a top 4 d-man in the next year or two and the contract looks good, or he fails to take the next step and we are paying a bottom pairing d-man 4.5M. Unfortunatley he suffered a pretty serious concussion, and then returned too early in the Caps series because Polak destroyed his leg, and he had a rough year last year.

Me personally, I'm not to worried. I think a lot of it was lingering from the concussion, and I think he will bounce back. But again, that's just my opinion, and there's obviously a risk.

I think there's more to this than concussion and injuries

He doesn't seem to trust himself and plays like it

He's a good passer but still fires the puck along the boards and flips it out, why? He's doesn't have to
He doesn't hold his own blueline, why? The guys at great skater, he's going to be tough to skate around

He was great with Marincin doing all the puck moving so why is he struggling with Rielly and Gardiner?

I think he needs a sports psychologist personally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad