2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Would anyone find it worth signing someone like Jordan Schmaltz even if he's RFA? I mean, I do understand it's a good chans he'll end up playing for the Marlies anyway.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would anyone find it worth signing someone like Jordan Schmaltz even if he's RFA? I mean, I do understand it's a good chans he'll end up playing for the Marlies anyway.

No. Marlies have too many defensemen as it is. They need to trade one, not add one.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
No. Marlies have too many defensemen as it is. They need to trade one, not add one.

You're probably right on that. Tho I guess you can't have enough talent in the organisation since he would probably be among the top 5 prospects on the Marlies, and therefore strenghtening the Maple Leafs. The best thing would obviously be to find a D that would contribute to the teams weaknesses immediately. But those are hard to come by, and at what cost?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think a Brown+2nd? for Simmonds trade would be beneficial for both teams. Simmonds lost his spot in front of the net and is currently on the flyers 3rd line. Brown is younger and cheaper for Philly and could help their awful penalty kill. The leafs get an expiring contract and veteran presence, their only physical presence, and a legitimate net front presence to replace JVR. This would also allow Marner to play with Kadri when necessary while giving Tavares a competent scoring winger.

Philly Top 9

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Weal-Brown

Toronto Top 9

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Simmonds

Leafs PP1

Simmonds
Matthews-Tavares-Marner
Rielly

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think a Brown+2nd? for Simmonds trade would be beneficial for both teams. Simmonds lost his spot in front of the net and is currently on the flyers 3rd line. Brown is younger and cheaper for Philly and could help their awful penalty kill. The leafs get an expiring contract and veteran presence, their only physical presence, and a legitimate net front presence to replace JVR. This would also allow Marner to play with Kadri when necessary while giving Tavares a competent scoring winger.

Philly Top 9

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Weal-Brown

Toronto Top 9

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Simmonds

Leafs PP1

Simmonds
Matthews-Tavares-Marner
Rielly

dont think it would happen but Simmonds on Matthews line in Hymans spot would be close to the ideal winger for that line

Reactions: ACC1224

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
100% I'd do that. I think maybe a prospect swap could be in order and sign him after but still, I think he'd fit in the system.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You're probably right on that. Tho I guess you can't have enough talent in the organisation since he would probably be among the top 5 prospects on the Marlies, and therefore strenghtening the Maple Leafs. The best thing would obviously be to find a D that would contribute to the teams weaknesses immediately. But those are hard to come by, and at what cost?

I'm not so sure he would do a whole lot. He's turning 25 and he is struggling to beat Robert Bortuzzo for ice time. Bortuzzo is worse than Carrick and Ozhiganov, so where does that put Schmaltz? If the Marlies needed RD and we threw a prospect we did not need for him to fill a hole, he is worth a shot. However, the Marlies already have Liljegren, Holl, LoVerde and Subban on RD as it is (plus Carrick, Ozhiganov, Zaitsev and Hainsey in the NHL), and at best he'd be able to compete with Holl/LoVerde to be the 2nd or 3rd best guy on that depth chart.

Plus despite his 1st round pedigree, I do not know many defensemen who are struggling to make the NHL at 25 who end up becoming the type of defensemen we desperately need right now.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
who gives a ****? honestly do people care where he goes? I don't care if he resigns with the sens to be honest (mainly because I know they will waste his talent by not building a team). To the sens or out of our division that's it for me

Well, I care if it's Tampa..

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well, I care if it's Tampa..

yeah in my post I say sens or out of our division. Who cares if he doesn't want to sign with any Canadian team? he is never going to go to the leafs A: we cant afford him B: he was sens captain and wouldn't want to do that to sens fans on top of leaving so great no Canadian team gets him

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
yeah in my post I say sens or out of our division. Who cares if he doesn't want to sign with any Canadian team? he is never going to go to the leafs A: we cant afford him B: he was sens captain and wouldn't want to do that to sens fans on top of leaving so great no Canadian team gets him

Well the good news is that everyone in our division can not afford him for the type of money he'd want or would still suck even if they got him.

My guess is he ends up in Vegas for Tatar, McNabb, Hague and a protected 1st assuming he had a reasonable extension attached. I doubt Dorion could even swindle one of Brannstrom, Glass or Suzuki in the deal, or swindle a better deal from someone else.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would be great news the leafs if he’s traded out west. Fantastic player, but his next contract is going to be a nightmare for whomever signs him considering the inevitable high AAV + his length leg injury history.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well Dion was our captain.....
For real, don’t think the Leafs and EK are a good match.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think the whole no signing in Canada thing is a calculated move. Similar to how players with limited NTC put unrealistic options on their “willing to be traded too” list.

Toronto and Winnipeg can’t afford him, and instead of publicly saying he doesn’t want to go to Montreal or Vancouver he makes it vague and just says Canada as a whole. Calgary and Edmonton are a little bit of a question mark under that assumption though.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

Philly Top 9

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Weal-Brown

Toronto Top 9

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Simmonds

Leafs PP1

Simmonds
Matthews-Tavares-Marner
Rielly
Brown & a 2nd for Wayne Simmonds? Thats terrible for Philly. Fans seem to think Leafs can package together depth pieces for 30 goal scorers

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Brown & a 2nd for Wayne Simmonds? Thats terrible for Philly. Fans seem to think Leafs can package together depth pieces for 30 goal scorers

So we're trading a 20 goal scorer and a 2nd round pick that could easily become a 20 goal scorer for a 30 goal scorer and we're ripping them off? Do we see how Simmonds scores his goals?

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
So we're trading a 20 goal scorer and a 2nd round pick that could easily become a 20 goal scorer for a 30 goal scorer and we're ripping them off? Do we see how Simmonds scores his goals?
the gap between a 20 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer is pretty big. Also, since when can a 2nd round pick easily become a 20 goal scorer? Since Simmonds got drafted in 2007 (including his draft), only 16 second rounders have had a 20 goal season. I didn't include 2018 because they obviously haven't played yet. So in the last 11 drafts, 16 have scored 20 goals. 16 players out of 331, 4.8%.

Theres nothing easy about a 4.8% chance.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Simmonds is an amazing fit for us... The problem is we will have to trade him or someone as soon as next season. We arent in a position to be adding any kind of salary that goes past this season atm.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Simmonds is an amazing fit for us... The problem is we will have to trade him or someone as soon as next season. We arent in a position to be adding any kind of salary that goes past this season atm.
I don't think the Leafs can afford the luxury of having players like Simmonds. His next contract will probably be similar to JVR, 7 million with term. The Leafs centres are so talented that they can plug in kids on ELC's on their wings and still be quite productive, aka the Pittsburgh model

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

posters used always to say x player is not a 30 goal scorer if he only managed it once, why are we calling brown a 20 goal scorer now.

here is another way you to write your post:
"we are trading a 28 point player and a 2nd that could be a 20 goal scorer for a 30 goal scorer and we aren't ripping them off?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad