World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Subasic for winning two PK shootouts. Easy choice.

Idk about that. Lloris has had some pretty huge saves in the knockout rounds, so I wouldn't count him out. I think Subasic is the other clear favorite though, and it could come down to the final.

Reactions: maclean

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Gonna flip both y'all the bird and say that it should be Courtois.
Disagreed totally. He came up big against Brazil and France, there's no denying. But he was certainly not amazing against Japan.

Lloris had a perfect WC, not a single weak goal.

member 305909

I don't think the expansion will happen in the Qatar-tournament yet. Namely, as the tournament takes place in November-December and therefore will be shorter than usual, 27-28 days instead of the normal 32 days.

A 48-team tournament requires 4-5 more days than the current format. Not only does the competition expand in terms of number of countries but also in terms of length of the tournament.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Gonna flip both y'all the bird and say that it should be Courtois.

I'd have Courtois at 3 to be fair. He was also excellent in the knockouts. But I think whichever goalie in the final has an impressive game will take it, as they've both been incredible too.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
A thought I had: why not keep 8 groups of 4 but keep the final group spots open? That way, there can be 8 play-in games (similar to how the NCAA March Madness Tournament has done things) with the 8 winners taking those 4th spots in each group.

That way, teams like Haiti, etc. can technically have qualified and then be given the chance to play their way in. Keeps the integrity of 4 team groups.

Probably a terrible idea but I like it way more than 3 team groups.
I like your idea, despite seeming "gimmicky" at first, for lack of a better word. It will make some great games and the main bracket stays the same. It has a relegation game feel to it.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

member 305909

48 is an awkward number of teams to have a sensible tournament-format if you want the whole thing to be done within 30-35 days.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Coach Messi at it again

Two incidents shed light on Messi influence in Argentina camp

So, this gem by Argentine media (who have won multiple journalism awards i'm sure) now claim that Messi ordered Sampa not to play Fazio from the start. Mind you when he apparently took over duties midway through the WC they eventually played Fazio. Hmm so, which is it.

And my favourite claim is that Lo Celso was stapled to the bench because he humiliated Messi at table tennis. I tell ya you can't make this stuff up. LOL

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't get how a player can go the entire WC without even seeing a minute of action.

Why even bring them, if you can't even offer an injury-time sub?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't get how a player can go the entire WC without even seeing a minute of action.

Why even bring them, if you can't even offer an injury-time sub?

Looney tunes. DYbala played 20 minutes In the Croatia game after it was obvious the game was done.

Perhaps the guy he was supposed to sub for just didn't need it.

When the guy is f***ing Biglia and Perez he definitely needed it.

member 305909

I almost started to like England in this tournament but only almost.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad