World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The worst part of a winter WC is I can imagine the amount of pressure a club could put on it's players to not work too hard "over there" and mess up their season. That's obviously not an issue if you're a Neymar or a Pogba but the Nigerian lad who plays for West Brom or the Japanese who plays for Inter might be put into a seriously uncomfortable scenario there.

And for us school employees it f***s up summer 2022 :laugh:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
There was also some discussion of actually going to 48 teams for the next World Cup in Qatar.

I know it’s all about raking in the cash, but I absolutely hate going to 48 teams divided into groups of three for WC 2026. Just brutal.

32 just seems like the perfect number. I think this could be the last WC I truly enjoy. Atleast it’s been a pretty good tournament and Russia has been an excellent host by all accounts.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There was also some discussion of actually going to 48 teams for the next World Cup in Qatar.

Really? Didnt realize this was being discussed as early as next time around.

I'm still very much torn on how I feel about the expansion. On one hand it gives Canada a better chance and even Scotland. But it takes away from the stories that come out of qualification which FIFA and the casual fan may not care about, but many of us really enjoy.

Side note: I want it to stay one more WC because I believe Canada will in fact qualify in 2022 and I want them to do at least once more during the 32 team era. Seems more legit.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I know it’s all about raking in the cash, but I absolutely hate going to 48 teams divided into groups of three for WC 2026. Just brutal.

32 just seems like the perfect number. I think this could be the last WC I truly enjoy. Atleast it’s been a pretty good tournament and Russia has been an excellent host by all accounts.
Groups of three is just calling for shenanigans. Some third games will be eyebrow-raisers.

Reactions: al secord

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I'm still very much torn on how I feel about the expansion. On one hand it gives Canada a better chance and even Scotland. But it takes away from the stories that come out of qualification which FIFA and the casual fan may not care about, but many of us really enjoy.
How though? I think with 48 teams you have a better chance of some really crazy stories coming out of qualification. You could have a team like Canada, or Scotland, or even Haiti, or whatever shock and advance to the knockout stage, and face some of the real teams. I think that in itself would do so much good for the sport, and everyone likes a good underdog.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
How though? I think with 48 teams you have a better chance of some really crazy stories coming out of qualification. You could have a team like Canada, or Scotland, or even Haiti, or whatever shock and advance to the knockout stage, and face some of the real teams. I think that in itself would do so much good for the sport, and everyone likes a good underdog.
The last time Scotland were in a tournament with three teams in a group we won, so I'm all for the idea: BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Japan 0-0 Scotland

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I think it would start taking away from the novelty cause more of these small teams would qualify. Canada should qualify every single time with more CONCACAF spots. Panama getting into the the tournament this year was amazing because they did it in the current system that makes it tough for the minnows of the world. It would still be amazing in the new format but it would be far easier, after a while I think this would take away from the competition of qualifying.

Reactions: cgf and Eisen

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I like the current # of teams as well, maybe even go to 40. 48 is way to much IMO and ruins what is a pretty good tournament and one of the best sporting events there is.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Current format is good, no need for change
frankly, it's perfect
every world cup you have "good" teams sitting at home after missing out via qualifying, 3 round robin group games is the perfect amount to determine who moves along, and it ends up nice and neat with the 16 team bracket. shame that $ rules all tho...

Reactions: Eisen

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Since they are unfortunately expanding to 48...

This is probably a really stupid idea, but I think it makes some sense. I would have liked to see 12 groups of 4. You then seed the teams 1 to 24 based on how they did in the group stage, with two teams advancing from each group, of course. The top 8 seeds get a bye.

Game A: 1 seed faces the winner of the 16/17 game
Game B: 8 seed faces the winner of the 9/24 game
Game C: 4 seed faces the winner of the 13/20 game
Game D: 5 seed faces the winner of the 12/21 game
Game E: 2 seed faces the winner of the 15/18 game
Game F: 7 seed faces the winner of the 10/23 game
Game G: 3 seed plays the winner of the 14/19 game
Game H: 6 seed faces the winner of the 11/22 game

Game I: Game A winner vs. Game B winner
Game J: Game C winner vs. Game D winner
Game K: Game E winner vs. Game F winner
Game L: Game G winner vs. Game H winner

Game M: Game I winner vs. Game J winner
Game N: Game K winner vs. Game L winner

Game O: Game M winner vs. Game N winner

But yeah, I think the current format is perfect.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
A thought I had: why not keep 8 groups of 4 but keep the final group spots open? That way, there can be 8 play-in games (similar to how the NCAA March Madness Tournament has done things) with the 8 winners taking those 4th spots in each group.

That way, teams like Haiti, etc. can technically have qualified and then be given the chance to play their way in. Keeps the integrity of 4 team groups.

Probably a terrible idea but I like it way more than 3 team groups.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Based on what? We haven't made the final hex round since 1998 qualifying.

Based on population, GDP, having 3 MLS teams with growing academies. We should have the quality and resources to beat nations such as Trinidad, Honduras, Panama, etc. We have been rather underwhelming and unorganized as a squad which is unfortunate, but should only be small hurdles for the future. The team hasa good mix of promising youth and solid vets. Personally I think after Mexico and the US (obviously there will be years like this where someone gets upset) it should be us and Costa fighting it out for the third automatic spot and the fourth playoff spot.

The pipeline is bright too with the likes of Davies, Baldisimo, Millar, Tabla, Guillard, and the slightly older Larin, among many others.

We should be a qualifying Nation!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Probably a terrible idea but I like it way more than 3 team groups.

This is a solid idea and I would totally go for it, don't think FIFA would. But it would add some fun intense games to the start for the smaller nations and add another layer of cool stories in qualification and then play in games. I say bring it in for 2026

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Based on population, GDP, having 3 MLS teams with growing academies. We should have the quality and resources to beat nations such as Trinidad, Honduras, Panama, etc. We have been rather underwhelming and unorganized as a squad which is unfortunate, but should only be small hurdles for the future. The team hasa good mix of promising youth and solid vets. Personally I think after Mexico and the US (obviously there will be years like this where someone gets upset) it should be us and Costa fighting it out for the third automatic spot and the fourth playoff spot.

The pipeline is bright too with the likes of Davies, Baldisimo, Millar, Tabla, Guillard, and the slightly older Larin, among many others.

We should be a qualifying Nation!

The bolded doesn't matter.

In fact having such a large country actually hinders Canada's development because of all the politics going on with the provincial associations.

Also of the names you've listed only Davies is the one that probably has potential to be a real top talent. Tabla might not represent Canada as he could play for Ivory Coast.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The bolded doesn't matter.

In fact having such a large country actually hinders Canada's development because of all the politics going on with the provincial associations.

Also of the names you've listed only Davies is the one that probably has potential to be a real top talent. Tabla might not represent Canada as he could play for Ivory Coast.

In what way does the bold not have an impact on a nations sporting ability and how on earth are we hindered by the provinces? Sure, it is not the best system but with the CPL being introduced next Spring and a more united program in general; cross-province politics should not play a factor.

As to Davies, yes he is the only one that looks like he will be an out and out star, but the other names along with many others looks like they will turn into more than serviceable players, which is an improvement over what we have had historically. Overall the youth system is just better these days and we should as a result be a better footballing Nation. As for Tabla, yeah he may not choose Canada, but I would say its more likely as he will be an almost guaranteed big spot and with the United Bid being successful there will be added incentive for him!

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
In what way does the bold not have an impact on a nations sporting ability and how on earth are we hindered by the provinces? Sure, it is not the best system but with the CPL being introduced next Spring and a more united program in general; cross-province politics should not play a factor.

As to Davies, yes he is the only one that looks like he will be an out and out star, but the other names along with many others looks like they will turn into more than serviceable players, which is an improvement over what we have had historically. Overall the youth system is just better these days and we should as a result be a better footballing Nation. As for Tabla, yeah he may not choose Canada, but I would say its more likely as he will be an almost guaranteed big spot and with the United Bid being successful there will be added incentive for him!

Look at the countries below and see how many are powerhouses in soccer. Notice how the only country that appears on both lists that is actually good is Brazil.

Top 10 GDP:

1 United States
2 China
3 Japan
4 Germany
5 United Kingdom
6 India
7 France
8 Brazil
9 Italy
10 Canada

Top 10 Population: