World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't know. Distractions, boredom etc. have been challenges on these tournament trips for as long as these multi-week tournaments have existed. Meeting these challenges is part of your job as the manager. If you can't keep the players focused..then you clearly are pressing the wrong buttons or have a hard time reaching the players.

We keep hearing comments - in fact we heard them even before the first match - that they didn't like the team HQ. Even Löw didn't like it. That makes you wonder how much care was taken in selecting the team HQ, who was consulted on the choice and was player/coach feedback considered important. It almost sounds like there was a hangover of 'this isn't like like it was in Brazil' and then comparing everything to that. But such a mentality, of course, hints at a deeper malaise - lack of motivation and enthusiasm for the task at hand. Again, it's part of the coaching staff's job to fight these issues, take care of morale and motivation.
They were openly questioning the quarter they moved to. Löw wanted Socchi, Bierhoff wanted to be close to Moscow (for the finale...).
Might have played a role.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So is the next WC going to overlap with Christmas?

It's going to roll into December for sure, since summer heat would make the games all but unplayable at these yet-to-be-built stadiums.

If only we had a reason for why FIFA would choose Qatar, of all places, to host the World Cup. :help: :sarcasm:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's going to roll into December for sure, since summer heat would make the games all but unplayable at these yet-to-be-built stadiums.

If only we had a reason for why FIFA would choose Qatar, of all places, to host the World Cup. :help: :sarcasm:
It must be their long tradition in football and their perseverance as a team. If not Qatar, who else? It would be a travesty.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It must be their long tradition in football and their perseverance as a team. If not Qatar, who else? It would be a travesty.

I can't remember who Qatar beat out to win to the hosting gig. Must have some pretty deep pockets, though.

Hopefully FIFA learns from this mistake and restricts future hosts to soccer powers. I know they rotate from continent to continent every four years, but surely Qatar wasn't the right answer. A World Cup played in November is embarrassing. Might as well hand the next Winter Olympics to Dallas, Texas.

Reactions: Eisen

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

It would have made no sense to have it anywhere outside of Qatar. In fact they should host at least every other tournament!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can't remember who Qatar beat out to win to the hosting gig. Must have some pretty deep pockets, though.

Hopefully FIFA learns from this mistake and restricts future hosts to soccer powers. I know they rotate from continent to continent every four years, but surely Qatar wasn't the right answer. A World Cup played in November is embarrassing. Might as well hand the next Winter Olympics to Dallas, Texas.

If you’re trying to figure out who lost a given WC bid, Morocco is generally a safe bet

Reactions: Stray Wasp

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

...you know that the Winter Olympics have been held in Sochi, right? Sochi, the Black Sea resort town...

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I remember Mexico 86 was pretty hot too. I dimly remember something said about over 40 Celsius on the turf (about 104F).

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I still don't think Qatar will be hosting the World Cup, I think they'll move it to another country. They almost to, IMO.

Semis in the 2018 World Cup are today and tomorrow. I have France and England winning.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still don't think Qatar will be hosting the World Cup, I think they'll move it to another country. They almost to, IMO.

Semis in the 2018 World Cup are today and tomorrow. I have France and England winning.

Do you realize how many bribes they’d have to give back to do that without destroying their business model by making the next bidder more hesitant to pass around the cash?

Or are you one of these people who thinks that only Qatar n Russia paid for their World Cups? While the US & Germany got ours some other magical way?

Reactions: Stray Wasp

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The fact the World Cup is in summer is part of what it makes it so great. Nothing like watching the games outdoors with some meat on the barbie and a cold drink in your hands. A winter World Cup is a nightmare. It's still difficult to believe this Qatar thing will actually happen, but that's what happens when you sell your soul to the oil sheikhs.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

This will never happen. It has been paid for, like many other WCs. It's just more obscure and brazen than before.

Reactions: cgf

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The fact the World Cup is in summer is part of what it makes it so great. Nothing like watching the games outdoors with some meat on the barbie and a cold drink in your hands. A winter World Cup is a nightmare. It's still difficult to believe this Qatar thing will actually happen, but that's what happens when you sell your soul to the oil sheikhs.
China should have gotten one before. I'm sure they would have ponied up the cash.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
China should have gotten one before. I'm sure they would have ponied up the cash.

You have to remember that Qatar bought this WC during their crisis, when they were spending crazy sums on PR to try and protect themselves from the Saudi blockade...thus the Neymar & Mbappe signings for PSG as well...while China was & continues to be spending crazy money in africa & central asia, to set up colonies for their transition to a more consumption-based economy now that there is a middle class starting to form in China since they don't need better PR in the West yet.

So I'm doubtful of whether China would've outspent the Qataris even if Fifa begged them to.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You have to remember that Qatar bought this WC during their crisis, when they were spending crazy sums on PR to try and protect themselves from the Saudi blockade...thus the Neymar & Mbappe signings for PSG as well...while China was & continues to be spending crazy money in africa & central asia, to set up colonies for their transition to a more consumption-based economy now that there is a middle class starting to form in China since they don't need better PR in the West yet.

So I'm doubtful of whether China would've outspent the Qataris even if Fifa begged them to.

That sentence right there is exactly what is wrong with FIFA.

"Gosh, you guys, we would've loved to hold this prestigious event elsewhere, anywhere else that would've actually made sense, really, but Qatar just paid us more. Bummer."

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
What are the Super Bowl numbers on average in the U.S?

Edit- nevermind

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The worst part of a winter WC is I can imagine the amount of pressure a club could put on it's players to not work too hard "over there" and mess up their season. That's obviously not an issue if you're a Neymar or a Pogba but the Nigerian lad who plays for West Brom or the Japanese who plays for Inter might be put into a seriously uncomfortable scenario there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad