World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

member 305909

Now that France have won their 2nd title all the BS which started 20 years ago has resurfaced.

Namely, concerning the 1998 final; Had Ronaldo only been fit Brazil would have won blaablaablaa.

BS! Ronaldo or no Ronaldo, France were unbeatable on that day 20 years ago. In front of their own crowd in the world cup-final. Not even Pele's team in its best days could have beaten France in 1998.

member 305909

That is only what you like to believe. Nobody knows the truth because of different eras.

My view is that the game gets better and better and faster and faster and yesteryear's champions would be trashed today.

member 305909

And yes I know, France struggled to get past Paraguay and only beat Italy on penalties in the 1998 tournament but in the final they would have been unbeatable, Ronaldo or no Ronaldo, which was my point.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
That is only what you like to believe. Nobody knows the truth because of different eras.

My view is that the game gets better and better and faster and faster and yesteryear's champions would be trashed today.

Still, Pele, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao, that's litterally too much to handle for any team.

member 305909

Similarly, I believe that the teams which will be around in the 2040's would make minced meat of today's dominant teams including France if it were somehow possible to remove the difference of eras.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Now that France have won their 2nd title all the BS which started 20 years ago has resurfaced.

Namely, concerning the 1998 final; Had Ronaldo only been fit Brazil would have won blaablaablaa.

BS! Ronaldo or no Ronaldo, France were unbeatable on that day 20 years ago. In front of their own crowd in the world cup-final. Not even Pele's team in its best days could have beaten France in 1998.
I disagree about Pele's team, but that French team was a tough nut to crack. One of the best defenses I remember (if not the best) and a genius in the midfield. Regardless, it's a one game elimination match, anything can happen and Ronaldo was hot. Not saying that France was undeserving, I liked them and I cheered for them all tournament through, knowing that Germany had no chance whatsoever.

member 305909

If England had somehow managed to win the semi-final and gone on to win the final and the world cup we would have been hearing about it for next 52 years.

So thank lord that the French won. I guess in France it is more or less old news by now a week later.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If England had somehow managed to win the semi-final and gone on to win the final and the world cup we would have been hearing about it for next 52 years.

So thank lord that the French won. I guess in France it is more or less old news by now a week later.
Probably not in France.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad