2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bringing back JEV would be weird, but I guess RB/TR are out of options with the way they've been kicking prospects to the curb from the RB program.

I feel young drivers (the top of the class) have started to avoid RB during the past year or so too. For a long time they were the only program that developed drivers for F1, now they've dropped behind Mercedes, Ferrari and even McLaren.

I Wonder if they aren't kicking themselves for releasing Alex Albon.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So Alonso apparently turned down RB's offer for 2019, I'm surprised they even asked him. Although Verstappen vs. Alonso reality TV would've been worth it.

I Wonder if they aren't kicking themselves for releasing Alex Albon.
Albon is an okay prospect, but I don't see an F1 future for him at this moment.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So Alonso apparently turned down RB's offer for 2019, I'm surprised they even asked him. Although Verstappen vs. Alonso reality TV would've been worth it.

Albon is an okay prospect, but I don't see an F1 future for him at this moment.

...But he'd still be their closest thing they have to a ready young driver, and one with a record of improving at every step too.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
...But he'd still be their closest thing they have to a ready young driver, and one with a record of improving at every step too.
I think TR's focus has shifted (with the depleted prospect pool) from developing drivers, to developing the engine. The main hurdle for RB to catch the top two has been the engine and that's kind of what TR has been testing this season.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Here is the story about Racing Point Force India name change. Team loses constructors points, drivers keep their points. I guess if this is a new team (technically), then they won't qualify for constructors money allocation until they compete for two years? Last year that payout was $36 million per team.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Alonso and Verstappen in a competitive Red Bull is box office stuff I would gladly have watched.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Seeing some reports on Twitter and Instagram that Kimi is staying with Ferrari for 2 more years and Leclerc is replacing Grosjean at Haas.

Expected to be announced this weekend or at Monza but yeah. Sources aren't the most official yet.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Pretty decent qualifying for Force India.

Second time in a row when rain ruins a certain pole for Ferrari.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I really want to see Stroll succeed (well, to a certain extent). I really do.
But seriously, Ocon just pulled up P3 ahead of Perez. Stroll was P20, behind Sergei Sirotkin.

The optics aren't exactly good for Stroll taking's Ocon spot next race.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I really want to see Stroll succeed (well, to a certain extent). I really do.
But seriously, Ocon just pulled up P3 ahead of Perez. Stroll was P20, behind Sergei Sirotkin.

The optics aren't exactly good for Stroll taking's Ocon spot next race.

I'm not gonna claim Stroll is better than Ocon. He's not....but I think everybody who watches F1 and cares knows that there's a huge difference between even the FI and the Williams. Hell. Even Stroll put it on the front row last year in similar rain enhanced conditions.

Franky. The optics of Stroll taking Ocon's ride were never gonna be good. Might just be my perspective but I don't think this makes it worse.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I haven't seen that Vandoorne to Sauber rumour anywhere else, so not sure how reliable that story is.

And I'd imagine that with the pile of money Ericsson is bringing to the team, that they can't just demote him midseason. Sauber would need to compensate, like Renault did with Palmer last year and idk if 1) they have the money to begin with, & 2) interest to give that kind of money away at this point of the season, when the team probably isn't going anywhere in the WCC even if you swap Vandoorne/Ericsson.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Strolls are making a huge mistake if they move Lance in season. It does a huge disservice to Lance to make him the centre of a storm next week when it's obvious he's the catalyst for a shakeup that could see someone as talented as Ocon without a seat. It will be transparent nepotism. Wait until next season and it gives Lance the chance to get used to the Force India car, and have the move be an afterthought by the time 2019 kicks off.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I agree with you. If it's my call I just wait out the season before moving him over. The shit storm that's gonna come down on a kid who realistically gets a lot of shit already far outweighs any potential positives.

Though...part of me is still curious about seeing Kubica in a race this year...so..hey

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Strolls are making a huge mistake if they move Lance in season. It does a huge disservice to Lance to make him the centre of a storm next week when it's obvious he's the catalyst for a shakeup that could see someone as talented as Ocon without a seat. It will be transparent nepotism. Wait until next season and it gives Lance the chance to get used to the Force India car, and have the move be an afterthought by the time 2019 kicks off.

Not to mention -- RPFI really need those points. 4th and 5th might be out of range, but 6th is totally in reach.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Also. Hulkenberg is too experienced and too decent a driver to be flying into the turn like that. He took that approach like I do when playing F1 2017.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It would have been interesting Ocon had stuck it up the inside on Vettel...the room was there...would love to have that alternative ending played out now. I think Ocon decided that the potential reward was not worth the risk which shows how mature he is. Verstappen would have stuck that in there.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Red Bull says RIC will take engine penalty, maybe Max also for Monza. Makes sense of course for that track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad