2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
What a gongshow at the end.

More broadly, I suspect Vettel will wind up kicking himself over that German GP all winter. Obviously a lot of racing left, but Hamilton is so tough to catch. Even when he's not winning, he's there on the podium and not hurting himself.

On Stroll, during the pre-race, there was talk Lawrence Stroll is financing Force India's next payroll with the rumour still being Ocon to Renault and Stroll to replace him next season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Unless Mercedes runs into engine troubles in the remaining races, I feel the WDC is over already. Hamilton is too consistent to lose a 24pts lead at this point of the season.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Unless Mercedes runs into engine troubles in the remaining races, I feel the WDC is over already. Hamilton is too consistent to lose a 24pts lead at this point of the season.

It doesn't take much really. Contact in an opening corner takes him out...Vettel goes on to win...it's a race again.

But yeah it's over.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Daniel Ricciardo: Red Bull driver to leave team at end of 2018 season

giphy.webp

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I guess he didn't want to be #2 to Max? Weird because RIC said he was "definitely" returning to Red Bull just the other day.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Can't wait to see Sainz and Verstappen kill each other.

...And come to think of it, Sainz with RBR isn't super likely. Didn't recalled how things didn't went sooo smoothly between them, and Verstappen will be the clear #1 this time around.

Sainz is certainly a driver that deserves a drive though. McLaren?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Anyone else find it highly ironic that after years of complaining about the engine RBR uses (not to mention just as they're about to switch to a different one), Ricciardo goes and joins the very factory team of the engine he was complaining about.. anything is possible in F1, I guess.

I imagine it'll be a straight swap with Sainz then
Sainz is still under contract for RB, so it's not like he has a choice.

He's also done alright with Renault, the car has let him down more than anything.

...And come to think of it, Sainz with RBR isn't super likely. Didn't recalled how things didn't went sooo smoothly between them, and Verstappen will be the clear #1 this time around.

Sainz is certainly a driver that deserves a drive though. McLaren?
Sainz has no say in the matter (currently on loan with Renault) and not like RB has anyone better to throw in there. RB hasn't had a proper proven "outsider" (a driver not linked to the RB driver program) since their early days and Coulthard. Webber was an average midfield driver when he got there and after that they've only been promoting drivers from within their own program.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Pretty shocking move to wake up to. I had assumed Ricciardo was staying put. I assumed Red Bull will just bring Sainz on (as noted, he's under contract - though if RB decided not to bring him on, I believe he'd be free to go wherever he wanted).

I wonder how this will impact Force India now that Ocon doesn't have a seat at Renault anymore. I wonder whether he or Perez want to hang around for that situation to resolve itself.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
It seems like at the moment there's a lot of capable drivers and not enough seats for all of them.

Like if Perez jumps ship where could he realistically go? I expect Ferrari will want a promotion for LeClerc to Haas which probably leaves Grosjean the odd man out, and I can't see anywhere he could go either. Williams seems the only option for these type of guys but I don't think they'd have the budget.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It seems like at the moment there's a lot of capable drivers and not enough seats for all of them.

Like if Perez jumps ship where could he realistically go? I expect Ferrari will want a promotion for LeClerc to Haas which probably leaves Grosjean the odd man out, and I can't see anywhere he could go either. Williams seems the only option for these type of guys but I don't think they'd have the budget.
Tbh I think Leclerc should just stay where he is. Sauber has been okay and I feel their relationship with Ferrari is closer now with the Alfa Romeo connection, compared to Haas.

Mercedes/Ferrari/Renault are set (assuming one more year for Kimi).

Red Bull - Verstappen/Sainz
Haas - Magnussen/Perez
Toro Rosso - Gasly/?
McLaren - ?/? (Ocon or Grosjean maybe? The bridge with Perez is burned I think and Norris based on his F2 performances isn't ready..)
Stroll GP - Stroll/?
Williams - ?/? (Russell on loan from Merc?)
Sauber - Leclerc/Ericsson

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
With McLaren I imagine at least one of Alonso/Vandoorne stays. If Alonso jumps ship to WEC/Indycar full time they'll keep Vandoorne, if he doesn't they'll either keep Vandoorne, sign Grosjean, Ocon or promote Norris. If they don't promote Norris I could see Norris to Toro Rosso like was offered this year (maybe they just didn't want to be dicks and dump Hartley mid-season) or maybe he could go to Force India with Stroll.

I could see Russell to Williams, to hopefully partner Kubica.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Alonso - tired of an underperforming car and I seriously doubt he'd go to another midfield team. I think he's done.
Vandoorne - even if the speculation that something is wrong with his car is true, I think the F1 ship has sailed with him. F1 is brutal to drivers in that sense, he hasn't come close to reaching the hype and IIRC he hasn't got any big companies backing him up to make the signing worth it from a money perspective. He's one of those "what could've been" -drivers.
Norris - like I already said, not ready. The only reason he's 2nd in F2's championship is, that he's been the most consistent driver and picked up the pieces when other top drivers have DNF'd or dropped to the back of the grid. He needs at least another year in F2.

I'd imagine Ocon's Mercedes contract has some sort of out-clause, since Bottas re-signed. Or they could loan him like RB did with Sainz.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

Haas said this year they don't want a Ferrari driver. They felt they got burned with E. Gutiérrez, they want someone they control for more than one year (if possible) and stated they don't need the money from Ferrari (salary plus a couple million I think?) Like was pointed out above, LeClerc is fine at Sauber.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Spanish media saying that Verstappen (+ his entourage) is firmly against Sainz joining RB, some bad blood between the two during their Toro Rosso years apparently.

I hope Horner & co. don't give into his demands.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Spanish media saying that Verstappen (+ his entourage) is firmly against Sainz joining RB, some bad blood between the two during their Toro Rosso years apparently.

I hope Horner & co. don't give into his demands.
Agree. Sports are supposed to be entertaining. That would be great fun between those two and also dealing with the enevitable Honda PU issues next season.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If Verstappen freezes out Sainz it pretty much has to be Gasly doesn't it? Would Horner ever entertain Alonso?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Gasly has more potential than Sainz in my opinion but Sainz is definitely more ready for that seat. But if Verstappen is against Sainz joining the team then I hope they give the seat to Sainz. Show Verstappen he's not in charge or the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad