2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Sainz (who I think is the most logical choice) seems like a no go if Max has his way and Gasly, realistically, is probably a couple years away from being ready for the Red Bull seat.

Will be really interesting to see how this all falls into place but I'm mostly expecting Gasly by default.

Annnnnnnd to complicate things further....

Lance to Force Stroll seems all but done now.

Last edited:

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Good for the Pink Panthers (or whatever they'll be called), bad for Williams losing both of the Stroll and Martini money at the end of the season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Williams should just consider becoming a farm team for Mercedes, things aren't likely to get better even if they get a new investor to replace Stroll senior. Ocon as the number 1 and Russell learning the ropes, both under Merc contracts.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's not ALL bad news for Williams. If they exist they'll be able to update what's obviously the worst livery in F1.

.....Though I'm sure they'd much rather have all dat money.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Williams should just consider becoming a farm team for Mercedes, things aren't likely to get better even if they get a new investor to replace Stroll senior. Ocon as the number 1 and Russell learning the ropes, both under Merc contracts.

There was a story a little while ago about Williams buying Merc's gearbox instead of making their own and Merc has shown interest in doing a Ferrari/Haas style deal with a team.

Although it would make sense as you suggest for a Merc/Williams partnership, there is only 2019-20 left on the current Concorde Agreement. Williams is a very proud group and they may just gut it out for the next two seasons or until the new F1 agreement framework is approved to see if there is a more favorable economic model. 2019 is probably a lost year as it is.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Disagree. Claire Williams is more than capable. That would be too much of a loss for F1 to lose Williams.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I've never liked the guy as a person (mostly the way he always points the finger at the team or the car and is quick to throw both under the bus to improve his own stock), but can't deny his greatness. In his prime Alonso was one of the greats, though his legacy will always be tainted by burning bridges with former teams and then there's of course the infamous "crashgate" incident (I know he's denied being involved, but I have a hard time believing that the most influential number 1 driver of that time didn't know what was happening in his own team).

Reactions: JoVel

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's a loss of a world class talent who even still could do extremely well in the right car but it kinda feels like it's time and it frees up a seat which is good news with the upcoming game of musical chairs that Stroll to Stroll GP will cause.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Sainz to McLaren according to reports.

I don't get why RB would let him go (IIRC he's under one of those RB young driver contracts that are looong), Verstappen's decision after all? Gasly is not ready and may suffer Kvyat's fate if he's promoted for next season, RB would be wise to sign a one or two year veteran stopgap.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Sainz is the better driver, but Gasly has an excellent working relationship with Honda according to Honda. That probably means a lot with RB switching to Honda next season. Having Gasly buy into the Honda PU is even more important given the terrible McLaren/Honda situation previously and how the whole engine/team/driver system completely broke down.

And yes, Max is getting his way if Sainz moves to McLaren.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... You know who'll probably get shafted REALLY hard by all that's transpiring?
Esteban Ocon.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Well...one of Ocon or Perez will partner Stroll...isn't it really a coin flip at this point?

Always a spot at Williams! Still many chairs to be claimed in this game of musical chairs.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well...one of Ocon or Perez will partner Stroll...isn't it really a coin flip at this point?

Always a spot at Williams! Still many chairs to be claimed in this game of musical chairs.

Well, Perez is part of the Administration proceedings and will be a FI creditor.
And, well, since the team will owe him, might as well, you know, give him a drive.

And that really sucks.

My call : Stroll partners Perez, fares much better than expected

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, Perez is part of the Administration proceedings and will be a FI creditor.
And, well, since the team will owe him, might as well, you know, give him a drive.

And that really sucks.

My call : Stroll partners Perez, fares much better than expected

Just to clarify, the Perez claim against Force India is actually for last year's salary not this year. So he doesn't technically have to stay with the team to get his money.

Reactions: MXD

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's going to be Gasly & Verstappen next year, per Red Bull's Instargram and Twitter.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's going to be Gasly & Verstappen next year, per Red Bull's Instargram and Twitter.

That... Seems like a bad idea to me.
Though to be honest, if Alonso and Sainz are ruled out, and Ocon deemed impossible due to Merc connection...

I guess the other option would've been one of Magnussen or Grosjean, but both would've been awful suggestions all-around for a ton of reasons.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That... Seems like a bad idea to me.
Though to be honest, if Alonso and Sainz are ruled out, and Ocon deemed impossible due to Merc connection...

I guess the other option would've been one of Magnussen or Grosjean, but both would've been awful suggestions all-around for a ton of reasons.
Would've been best for Gasly to have at least another year at Toro Rosso, hope he won't follow the same path as Kvyat did. Although Red Bull really can't kick him out anytime soon as there's really no one in their system to replace him. Unless they decided to do the unusual and hire a driver outside of their organization.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bringing back JEV would be weird, but I guess RB/TR are out of options with the way they've been kicking prospects to the curb from the RB program.

I feel young drivers (the top of the class) have started to avoid RB during the past year or so too. For a long time they were the only program that developed drivers for F1, now they've dropped behind Mercedes, Ferrari and even McLaren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad