2018 Draft: 2nd Pick: Ryan McLeod (F) - Recalled to taxi squad 4/18/21

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Love this pick again. Home run pick. Just hopefully his work ethic improves with age and maturity. If it does, he had top 6 or even top line skill.

Love our last 3 drafts

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I said yesterday that I'd love him at 40. Speedy, lot's of skill, good size at 6'2 205, good shot. Just needs to play with more aggresiveness/push the pace and shoot the pill more.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Not a bad pick. It is well within the range so good on the oilers for not doing the walk around.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Great pick. Kid has some growing up to do, but that’s why he’s a kid. Not everyone can be like McDavid/Nurse at 16/17 years old.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Seems a good value pick. 6’2” Centres with speed never go out of style. Worst case scenario he should still be a useful bottom 6 PK guy.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Quotes from the Black Book:

“He has so much talent but I’m not sure he’ll ever use it. “ NHL Scout, May 2018

“Third year in the league, I didn’t think his game took the next step. He had a lot of perimeter play…” - NHL Scout, May 2018

“Solid player who has a lot more to give competitively and getting to the hard areas of the ice. He’s smarter than his brother but not even close to the same compete level…work ethics not even close.” - NHL Scout, May 2018

“I wasn’t a big fan of his brothers game and Mike didn’t change my mind about him this season. Ryan has more skill but lacks in two important categories for me: Hockey sense and compete. Skating and skill are good and so is the size.obviously He can control much of his future himself if he chooses to compete harder, and if he does, he’ll make our ranking look really bad.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards
Interesting insight. Thanks man.

I definitely favour heart and soul players, but his skill level may outweigh the character concerns. Hopefully the switch goes in him when he gets to the development camp and starts learning more about the pro game.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pretty good pick at 40, but he's an OHLer I wasn't a big fan of.

He's one of those guys that skate around really fast, but don't really accomplish much.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I don't like the pick. Third year in the OHL and he barely broke a point per game. Attitude issues, work ethic issues, slipped all year in the rankings as scouts saw more of him.

I honestly don't care too much for the "speed and size" when you consider the above, and I could care less that some people had him in their first round and so that's apparent great value. But we'll see. Hope he turns out.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Al
I don't like the pick. Third year in the OHL and he barely broke a point per game. Attitude issues, work ethic issues, slipped all year in the rankings as scouts saw more of him.

I honestly don't care too much for the "speed and size" when you consider the above, and I could care less that some people had him in their first round and so that's apparent great value. But we'll see. Hope he turns out.
All players in the second round have some identifiable flaws. Taking one with size, speed, and skill but needing to work on his “jam” isnt a poor bet. Much rather take a kid like this than an undersized buzzsaw who tops out like Toby Petersen.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'll call it right now, McLeod will be a top 10 scorer in the OHL next year, maybe top 5

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't get how his biggest idol is Smytty but he has compete issues lol. Get the two Ryan's on the ice together and this Ryan could work out well for us as well. Hopefully playing for his favourite team and under the eye of his favourite player will be good motivating factors with him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'll call it right now, McLeod will be a top 10 scorer in the OHL next year, maybe top 5

I wouldn't bet on it haha.

Mississauga is losing their three best players(if Tippett makes the Panthers).

He isn't going to have a whole lot of talent to work with.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
In reading about Ryan, I note that he is considered to be a very good penalty killer.

If he can develop into a good 3rd line center, score 15 a year and provide some much needed relief on the penalty kill then that's a great return for #40 overall.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Apparently Ryan lived about five minutes away from the Stromes and played a lot of hockey with his two brothers and the three Stromes on their backyard rink while growing up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad