2018 Draft: 2nd Pick: Ryan McLeod (F) - Recalled to taxi squad 4/18/21

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
One of the oldest first year eligible players. Missed last years draft by a week.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Quotes from the Black Book:

“He has so much talent but I’m not sure he’ll ever use it. “ NHL Scout, May 2018

“Third year in the league, I didn’t think his game took the next step. He had a lot of perimeter play…” - NHL Scout, May 2018

“Solid player who has a lot more to give competitively and getting to the hard areas of the ice. He’s smarter than his brother but not even close to the same compete level…work ethics not even close.” - NHL Scout, May 2018

“I wasn’t a big fan of his brothers game and Mike didn’t change my mind about him this season. Ryan has more skill but lacks in two important categories for me: Hockey sense and compete. Skating and skill are good and so is the size.obviously He can control much of his future himself if he chooses to compete harder, and if he does, he’ll make our ranking look really bad.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm glad they took a forward, we need to load up our forward prospects. He's got big time speed and skill, good size.

I like the pick a lot.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Wow that is an awesome pick at 40. Guy was ranked 22 by McKenzie and was the highest ranked ‘consensus’ guy as per the TSN list left on the board.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So apparently his hockey sense and compete level are his big weaknesses. Don't like the sound of that at all. Also underwhelming production for a 3rd year OHLer.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Sounds like a ton of skill but a lot of work ethic issues. I think pick 40 is a great spot to gamble on a guy like that. I was hoping for one of Wilde or Addison but getting a centre with big upside is good in the 2nd round.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Looks like one of those guys who has all of the tools; just struggles with motivation/compete.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
So apparently his hockey sense and compete level are his big weaknesses. Don't like the sound of that at all. Also underwhelming production for a 3rd year OHLer.
They just had a quote on TV that his hockey sense was one of his best qualities.

He also had 20 points in 20 playoff games last year for what it's worth. That's high end production for a 17 year old.

Reactions: AVE MAN and SourOil

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

It’s interesting because Hockeyprospect have him ranked considerably lower than anyone else. TSN list has him at 22 and the rest between 20-30 but hockeyprospect has him at 46. So those things could be true but I’d say there are definitely differing opinions out there.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Didn't know he had compete issues, don't like the sound of that. Seems a bit boom bust but I do like that the Oilers are going for boom potential high skilled picks lately, better than picking a high character coke machine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad