NCAA GDT: 2018 CFP National Championship: (3) Georgia Bulldogs vs (4) Alabama Crimson Tide

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even at halftime, I knew that Alabama was going to comeback and win/Georgia was going to choke, and I'm still a bit miffed that it happened.

And at the start of the game when they announced that they were Big Ten refs, I specifically mentioned to my wife that they were going to stink as expected.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
That'll change though. Muschamp is doing way better than I thought he would and Mullen will resurrect Florida. Tennessee is the big wild card. I know Pruitt can recruit and coach up a D but can he handle being the CEO?
Pruitt can recruit, but I'm not sure he's going to find a ton of success competing against Bama, Georgia, Auburn, or Clemson for regional recruits. There's enough talent to go around to field a decent team. But, it's far more likely that he's going to have to settle for second or event third tier talent.

I think Tennessee ends up looking a lot like South Carolina under Muschamp. Good enough to compete, but not good enough to win the biggest games.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Sounds like I missed a great game last night

Happy Alabama won as NCAA football is best when Bama is doing well

Sorry, but I disagree.

Bama’s dynasty has hurt College football more than it has helped.

I mean, at this point, why should I get my hopes up for next season?

They’re almost comically loaded to the point where basically it doesn’t matter whom they lose to the pros. A case of the rich seemingly forever getting richer no matter what. It’s like the Whopper going to McDonald’s.

In my heart of hearts, I think Alabama is bad for college football. Might as well just pencil them in for ANOTHER title already.

College football would have been better off with Georgia winning last night instead of yet another seemingly joyless Tide title.

College football was at its best when Bama was just another team instead of sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

If anything, my interest in college football for next season took a dip after last night.

Why play the games then? With Bama, it doesn’t even feel like it’s fair.

I mean, after all, they seemingly are allowed 1 mulligan every year if they have a regular season stumble.

Last edited:

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Like Auburn did in the Iron Bowl at the end of the season? But as usual, the chips fall a certain way, and Alabama back doors into the playoffs and gets their mulligan. Whatever, they earned it based on the system that exists, but just frustrating that they always weasel their way back into it just when they would be out of they were any other program, save maybe Ohio State.

That blocked punt that wasn't irks me though. Almost no chance Bama comes back if the officials hadn't messed that one up.
I don't get the mulligan thought. Alabama has a recent history of dominance and being the best. They deserved the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Sorry, but I disagree.

They’re almost comically loaded to the point where basically it doesn’t matter whom they lose to the pros. A case of the rich seemingly forever getting richer no matter what. It’s like the Whopper going to McDonald’s.

In my heart of hearts, I think Alabama is bad for college football. Might as well just pencil them in for ANOTHER title already.

College football would have been better off with Georgia winning last night instead of yet another seemingly joyless Tide title.

College football was at its best when Bama was just another team instead of sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

If anything, my interest in college football for next season took a dip after last night.

I mean, after all, they seemingly are allowed 1 mulligan every year if they have a regular season stumble.

Did you watch the game last night? If yes, why? Is it because you, like every other non-Bama fan tuned in to hate-watch and root for Georgia?

For all of the talk about Bama-SEC fatigue and how it was going to affect ratings, it was quite the opposite. It was up 9% from last years highly anticipated Bama-Clemson rematch. So in that aspect, college football is doing all right.

I'll give you something to look forward to you in the future in regards to programs challenging Alabama. From 2010-17, Bama has had the #1 ranked recruiting class, in 2018, they're ranked 5th. Things will continue to change and they'll be knocked off soon enough.

For now, why can't we just appreciate the amazing coaching job Saban has done?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Alabama is exactly why we extended to a 4-team playoff. They were the best team all season and needed an opportunity. The playoff proved that a 1v2 Clemson v. Oklahoma championship game would've been ridiculous. They've proven more than once under Saban that they get the benefit of the doubt. If teams want them out of the playoff, they need to beat them twice and enough teams need to lose less than once.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There were 6 things when it came to college football I always was taught mattered:
  1. Resume
  2. Schedule
  3. Body of work
  4. Win your division
  5. Win your conference
  6. Don't lose late
Bama for me didn't check those marks.

It's just hard for me to think that a team that LOST their last game of the year in an SEC West all or nothing game got the benefit of the doubt.

The committee essentially rewarded them for LOSING the Iron Bowl.

Bama has officially become more insufferable than Duke basketball.

It's not even fun anymore.

Damn talk about salty.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
26195464_1777355782311102_7607013419369707411_n.jpg

Reactions: darko

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don't get the mulligan thought. Alabama has a recent history of dominance and being the best. They deserved the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think outcomes of previous seasons with different rosters should have any bearing from one year to the next. Alabama's justification for being in the 2017 playoff should be 100% based on what occurred in the 2017 season. Or else it just becomes circular logic. Saban has proven by now that he's going to beat pretty much anyone if he gets a month to prepare. So if he keeps getting a mulligan, I'm sure he'll keep "proving" he deserved it.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Sorry, but I disagree.

Women's college basketball fans called. They said "Just imagine watching UConn Lady Huskies' dominance. Then talk to us."

Reactions: Voight

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did you watch the game last night? If yes, why? Is it because you, like every other non-Bama fan tuned in to hate-watch and root for Georgia?

For all of the talk about Bama-SEC fatigue and how it was going to affect ratings, it was quite the opposite. It was up 9% from last years highly anticipated Bama-Clemson rematch. So in that aspect, college football is doing all right.

I'll give you something to look forward to you in the future in regards to programs challenging Alabama. From 2010-17, Bama has had the #1 ranked recruiting class, in 2018, they're ranked 5th. Things will continue to change and they'll be knocked off soon enough.

For now, why can't we just appreciate the amazing coaching job Saban has done?

I did watch the game but I also was way more into College football this year than previously before so I may not be a good judge. I certainly felt less excited after watching that game for the upcoming season than I think I would have if it would have been a different team than Alabama in the game or if Georgia had won. This likely is forgotten over the offseason and by next September I will probably be pumped again but in no way was Alabama winning a positive for me in terms of College football interest. Now I am one person only but I have read enough similar antedocts online that I can't see how Alabama winning was a good thing.

As for appreciating Saban coaching. If I thought Alabama was winning by having great schemes, superior coaches, better adjustments etc. it may be more interesting and while I don't think they are bad (outside of Daboll) or anything but good to great in terms of coaching I think the biggest thing they do best is recruit and for many that is a little boring to follow and/or so scummy a business that you don't really want to appreciate it.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Alabama is exactly why we extended to a 4-team playoff. They were the best team all season and needed an opportunity. The playoff proved that a 1v2 Clemson v. Oklahoma championship game would've been ridiculous. They've proven more than once under Saban that they get the benefit of the doubt. If teams want them out of the playoff, they need to beat them twice and enough teams need to lose less than once.

Alabama is honestly why I miss the BCS.

Seriously, Alabama was essentially considered the best team for basically running up the score against a lousy schedule of opponents and winning the eye test despite a shaky resume/schedule.

Their resume/schedule screamed Citrus Bowl if that's any other team, but because they're Alabama......

They got so much benefit of the doubt it's not even worth getting excited if they lose a reg. season game next year. (Only in 2009 and 2016 did they make it undefeated going into bowl season)

Bama basically will get every excuse in the world if they lose again. Only Bama can lose the last game of the regular season and somehow end up better off.

In my heart of hearts, I will go to my grave saying the committee got it WRONG.

Why bother with resumes/schedules/body of work anymore?

Bama basically can schedule Mercer and get away with something most other big time programs would never do.

Why? Because the committee showed their true colors- Crimson and White.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Alabama is honestly why I miss the BCS.

Seriously, Alabama was essentially considered the best team for basically running up the score against a lousy schedule of opponents and winning the eye test despite a shaky resume/schedule.

Their resume/schedule screamed Citrus Bowl if that's any other team, but because they're Alabama......

They got so much benefit of the doubt it's not even worth getting excited if they lose a reg. season game next year. (Only in 2009 and 2016 did they make it undefeated going into bowl season)

Bama basically will get every excuse in the world if they lose again. Only Bama can lose the last game of the regular season and somehow end up better off.

In my heart of hearts, I will go to my grave saying the committee got it WRONG.

Why bother with resumes/schedules/body of work anymore?

Bama basically can schedule Mercer and get away with something most other big time programs would never do.

Why? Because the committee showed their true colors- Crimson and White.

Yup confirmed salty.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Why even bother with next year?

Might as well just crown Bama again and get it over with it.

There's little reason if any for me to get excited for next season

darko

Feb 16, 2009

If they are clearly the best team next year I hope they win it again.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
almost as ludicrous as saying they're winning a title soon
there are a lot of cupcakes in the Big 10
Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota
put me down as one of those people who think the SEC is just much better than everyone else

Lol Only rutgers, Indiana and Illinois are really cupcakes.

Only 11 times has a team that was number 1 at the start of the season won the natty im pretty sure.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's official Colley Matrix ranked UCF #1 and thus they will be in the NCAA record books as being national champions this year along with Alabama.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sorry, but I disagree.

Saban rebuilt a program that has been stupid successful.... how is that a bad thing? Is it anyones fault the other coaches/programs can't keep up with him? I think its telling how dominant he's been, especially in this era.

People still enjoyed NCAA MBB when UCLA was winning every freaking year, likewise they still enjoyed NCAAF when Miami was dominating left and right back in the day.

Georgia had every chance to win and they choked - that's their own doing. They would have been champions if they were capable of holding such a big lead, but alas they couldn't and Bama played their assess off to win.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I did watch the game but I also was way more into College football this year than previously before so I may not be a good judge. I certainly felt less excited after watching that game for the upcoming season than I think I would have if it would have been a different team than Alabama in the game or if Georgia had won. This likely is forgotten over the offseason and by next September I will probably be pumped again but in no way was Alabama winning a positive for me in terms of College football interest. Now I am one person only but I have read enough similar antedocts online that I can't see how Alabama winning was a good thing.

As for appreciating Saban coaching. If I thought Alabama was winning by having great schemes, superior coaches, better adjustments etc. it may be more interesting and while I don't think they are bad (outside of Daboll) or anything but good to great in terms of coaching I think the biggest thing they do best is recruit and for many that is a little boring to follow and/or so scummy a business that you don't really want to appreciate it.

Recruiting is part of coaching in college football and he is masterful at that. But, I do get the part that its hard to follow and there is a dark side to it as well.

However, he sets a standard like no one else (outside of Belichick). When they are crushing Ole Miss in the 4th quarter at home and half the stadium is empty, if a backup commits a dumb penalty, he is as pissed off as if it was a starter in the SEC championship game. He maintains a quota of excellence and doesn't accept anything less. The culture he has created at Bama is a truly great coaching performance.

And why do we hate Bama winning? It's not like the Patriots where it is always Brady, Edelman, Gronk and the like. College sports allow us to have new players to root for year in and out. Do you really dislike Greg McElroy, AJ McCarron, Jake Coker, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry or Calvin Ridley? I think its more about how crazy and annoying the fanbase has become.

Lastly, if Bama did not win, they would just win again the following year because an angry Saban and company is not a good thing for the rest CFB. Plus, who isn't excited to watch Tua spin the rock the next few years?

Spoiler- I was rooting for Georgia along with everyone else.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As a neutral bystander with merely a passing interest, it seems like there is an awful lot of whining about Alabama. It doesn't seem like their programme is constructed by rocket scientists. Recruit the best players you can find and give them excellent coaching. If Alabama does that better than Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, et. al., why should the blame be on the Crimson Tide?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As a neutral bystander with merely a passing interest, it seems like there is an awful lot of whining about Alabama. It doesn't seem like their programme is constructed by rocket scientists. Recruit the best players you can find and give them excellent coaching. If Alabama does that better than Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, et. al., why should the blame be on the Crimson Tide?

Exactly. Its not like they can offer more money or benefits than any of their competition, Saban is a master of recruiting and it has resulted in multiple championships, which he can now use to sell his program.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not only does he recruit but he develops. That's what puts them at the top. You can get all the talent but if you don't develop those young men, it doesn't matter. Saban, Urban and Dabo are doing it best and in very different ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad