GDT: 2018 Canada Day, Free Agent Day, Extension Day, Tavares Day, Trade Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You seem to be very sure that the Leafs make the SCF.

Show a single post where I said that.....I’ve stated the Bolts & Leafs just added to their teams in a significant way which increases their odds at winning the cup.....while we’ve done nothing but take away from our team. Again this is an arms race, only one team wins.....divisional titles mean nothing now to us, we’re competing vs every team in the nhl for one prize. So if a top team in the east or west adds significantly to their teams we either need to add also (not take away) or our chances decrease at winning the only prize that matters now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You’re selling them short, like Rosie they haven’t made the team bc of roster depth. This year all three will have roster spots on their big clubs and producing.....yes I agree Rosie appears the best of the three but no one is comparing them directly. I responded to a post claiming they lost three players due to ufa and only gained one......while true it’s not painting the true picture.....they also have two decent prospects being promoted with impressive stats in the A and have looked good at the nhl considering their limited ice time and quality time.

You compared them.

They did lose 3 players to UFA. Productive ones. Of course they are going to replace those players. They aren't going to leave their spots vacant. The replacements have shown some promise but they don't appear to be near the level of the ones they are replacing. They might be at the level of the least productive of the 3 - if they pan out.

You're argument might boil down to 3 out, 1 in plus promoting a couple of B prospects so they signed JT and come out about even. If KK and Johnson both work out well.

After their top 5 Leafs forward corps doesn't look great. Their top pair D is suspect. They need Liljegren to become a top pair man and soon.

JT by himself doesn't suddenly transform them into a can't miss cup winner.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They’ve done similar as Roslovic at the nhl level.....they have shown good potential is the point. I would expect them both to produce 30+ points now they perm roster spots.
Neither of them has really done similar to Roslovic at the NHL level. Rosie was near .5P/G this past season, something neither Johnsson nor Kapanen has been close to, and he did so at a younger age.

Mind you, I think Toronto is more dangerous than they were 2 days ago, but Kapanen and Johnsson are far from sure things based on their NHL performance so far.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You compared them.

They did lose 3 players to UFA. Productive ones. Of course they are going to replace those players. They aren't going to leave their spots vacant. The replacements have shown some promise but they don't appear to be near the level of the ones they are replacing. They might be at the level of the least productive of the 3 - if they pan out.

You're argument might boil down to 3 out, 1 in plus promoting a couple of B prospects so they signed JT and come out about even. If KK and Johnson both work out well.

After their top 5 Leafs forward corps doesn't look great. Their top pair D is suspect. They need Liljegren to become a top pair man and soon.

JT by himself doesn't suddenly transform them into a can't miss cup winner.

I compared them in the sense they have been only limited ice time & quality and looked promising.....not directly comparing player to player. Leafs forward group is easily equal to our own, depending how things develop for young players on both teams they might be hair better....yet to be seen. I agree D is the weakest part of their team, but our bottom 4 LHD isn’t great either. Not saying they are a lock for the cup......but they were 6th OA iirc and just got better.....we lost two decent players (Toby & Armia) and a exp goalie albeit he had a injury ridden year. Leafs & Bolts added.....Jets lost players

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Vegas just lost Neal to the Flames. So they are down two real good wingers.

On the topic of Neal, talk about another silly contract. 5 year nearly 6 million dollar deal to a 30 plus player who has 41 and 44 points the last two seasons. The Little deal keep looking more and more reasonable even if he only bounces back to a 50 to 55 point player and not the 60 point guy he was when he inked it.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Neither of them has really done similar to Roslovic at the NHL level. Rosie was near .5P/G this past season, something neither Johnsson nor Kapanen has been close to, and he did so at a younger age.

Mind you, I think Toronto is more dangerous than they were 2 days ago, but Kapanen and Johnsson are far from sure things based on their NHL performance so far.

Again I meant they looked good with limited opportunities.....not comparing players directly. Both looked good at the nhl playing min roles and very good in the A....

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would take our goaltending and defense over Toronto's any day of the week and our offenses even with them getting Tavares is a wash

much a do about nothing

Reactions: Mathil8

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You think we're going to drop 20+ points compared to this season?

I think some of us feel it is a possibility, yes. Outside of the wishful thinking that "organic growth" will propel us even higher, I see no evidence that this team has improved itself this off season.

Still 100% reliant on Hellebuyck carrying the load and playing at an elite or at least very good level because I still think our overall defensive play is suspect. We have a D corps that has lost one of its better defensive components (Enstrom) and has two guys (Kulikov, Myers) whose defensive skills and ability to stay healthy are questionable. There is the eternal question of whether Good Buff or Bad Buff will prevail this season. We lost a skilled defensive forward (Armia) and our top two forwards (Scheif, Wheeler) are both defensively suspect and overused by Maurice which compounds the problem.

For all the offensive talent we have, I can see the GAA creeping up and that might be enough to drop us down and possibly out if some other teams rise up.

Reactions: purdy44

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is no wishful thinking when it comes to Organic growth when you know you have been growing organically. Do you know what I mean? When your organizational depth is deep thats what happens. You don't have to go whale hunting. You promote from within.

Every team is fairly dependent on there goaltending. I don't even know why that is a concern here.
The same Enstrom who missed half the season? We did fine without him.
Kulikov and Myers are nightmare matchups on the 3rd pairing for teams
Armia played a bottom 6 role and will be replaced. Missed yes but he isn't a driver on this team so why worry

We finished 2nd in the league in GF and 5th in the league for GA. Still going to be a powerhouse and I have a good feeling we will be even better next year

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think some of us feel it is a possibility, yes. Outside of the wishful thinking that "organic growth" will propel us even higher, I see no evidence that this team has improved itself this off season.

Still 100% reliant on Hellebuyck carrying the load and playing at an elite or at least very good level because I still think our overall defensive play is suspect. We have a D corps that has lost one of its better defensive components (Enstrom) and has two guys (Kulikov, Myers) whose defensive skills and ability to stay healthy are questionable. There is the eternal question of whether Good Buff or Bad Buff will prevail this season. We lost a skilled defensive forward (Armia) and our top two forwards (Scheif, Wheeler) are both defensively suspect and overused by Maurice which compounds the problem.

For all the offensive talent we have, I can see the GAA creeping up and that might be enough to drop us down and possibly out if some other teams rise up.
I mean, people are of course free to work themselves up over whatever they want. But creeping up? Really? We were +59 last season. Assuming close to the same offensive output, that would mean we allow roughly 50 more goals to risk missing the playoffs. That's less "creeping up" and more "forgot to put Hellebuyck in net".

I wonder if Nashville supporters worry about missing the playoffs. Or Boston or Tampa. All teams that didn't significantly improve over the off-season so far, and were on our level last season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is no wishful thinking when it comes to Organic growth when you know you have been growing organically. Do you know what I mean? When your organizational depth is deep thats what happens. You don't have to go whale hunting. You promote from within.

Every team is fairly dependent on there goaltending. I don't even know why that is a concern here.
The same Enstrom who missed half the season? We did fine without him.
Kulikov and Myers are nightmare matchups on the 3rd pairing for teams
Armia played a bottom 6 role and will be replaced. Missed yes but he isn't a driver on this team so why worry

We finished 2nd in the league in GF and 5th in the league for GA. Still going to be a powerhouse and I have a good feeling we will be even better next year
Good post...

Basically, the Jets traded Armia for cap space instead of for futures. Right now, cap space is more valuable.

Meanwhile, here's what happened to the roster since the 110+ point team from last season...

Roslovic replaces Armia as bottom 6 RW. Probably an improvement for the Jets, when all is said and done.

Petan and Dano replace Hendricks and Matthias as our forward depth.

Poolman comes back one season stronger, and along with Morrow provides better D depth. Niku is on deck, and probably ready to make a real contribution in the NHL line-up, if necessary.

Jets still have Appleton, Lemieux and Vesalainen chomping at the bit as depth forwards (running the Jets' forward depth to 5 deep, with Petan and Dano).

There is little question that other teams have improved, especially the Leafs. But the Jets were a 110+ pt team, and they don't look like they've really lost anything since heading into last season. As Murat points out in his article in the Athletic today, if the Jets are able to preserve around $2.5M in cap space gained through the Mason / Armia trade into the season after the RFA signings, that will equate to around $11M in cap space at the trade deadline, in case the Jets need to make a move to fill in roster gaps.

I was disappointed with how things panned out, but the Jets are in pretty good shape at this point.

Now they need to focus on locking up their RFAs and hope that Laine is training like a fiend to come back for a beastly season.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Even though I know we need to use our cap space on our RFA's it still feels disappointing to do nothing substantial on FA day.

Hopefully that'll be diminished over the summer as Trouba, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck sign some nice fair long-term deals.

My workplace is going to be insufferable now with the Tavares signing.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

On the topic of Neal, talk about another silly contract. 5 year nearly 6 million dollar deal to a 30 plus player who has 41 and 44 points the last two seasons. The Little deal keep looking more and more reasonable even if he only bounces back to a 50 to 55 point player and not the 60 point guy he was when he inked it.

I'm certainly glad to hear that Vegas lost Neal to Calgary after they signed Stastny away from Winnipeg. :D

:jets

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I compared them in the sense they have been only limited ice time & quality and looked promising.....not directly comparing player to player. Leafs forward group is easily equal to our own, depending how things develop for young players on both teams they might be hair better....yet to be seen. I agree D is the weakest part of their team, but our bottom 4 LHD isn’t great either. Not saying they are a lock for the cup......but they were 6th OA iirc and just got better.....we lost two decent players (Toby & Armia) and a exp goalie albeit he had a injury ridden year. Leafs & Bolts added.....Jets lost players

Well we get right back to the start. Leafs added and subtracted. The player they added is clearly better than any they lost. It is not clear he is better than all they lost. I give zero credit for those prospect who moved in. They've shown nothing at the NHL level yet.

I'm not sure I would agree that the Leafs top 12 forwards are equal to ours. They have a clear advantage at the most important position but trail everywhere else. If the bottom 6's are close it is because we lost Armia. That was not a good move. Our replacement may have to beat their replacement if we are to keep our lead there. Time will tell.

The thing I see is a lack of quality left in their system to fill out that bottom 6. We aren't quite that dry yet.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Neal has no NTC/NMC which provides more value than Littles

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Roslo full time will hit way more goals than 24 years old Armia with 12 goals, career high.

Heck if Roslo centers Laine And Ehlers for home games ;) as sheltered offensive line.
He might outscore Stastny :)

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Roslo full time will hit way more goals than 24 years old Armia with 12 goals, career high.

Heck if Roslo centers Laine And Ehlers for home games ;) as sheltered offensive line.
He might outscore Stastny :)
Fairly confident PoMo will play Little and Wheeler as 2C over Roslo

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Good post...

Basically, the Jets traded Armia for cap space instead of for futures. Right now, cap space is more valuable.

Meanwhile, here's what happened to the roster since the 110+ point team from last season...

Roslovic replaces Armia as bottom 6 RW. Probably an improvement for the Jets, when all is said and done.

Petan and Dano replace Hendricks and Matthias as our forward depth.

Poolman comes back one season stronger, and along with Morrow provides better D depth. Niku is on deck, and probably ready to make a real contribution in the NHL line-up, if necessary.

Jets still have Appleton, Lemieux and Vesalainen chomping at the bit as depth forwards (running the Jets' forward depth to 5 deep, with Petan and Dano).

There is little question that other teams have improved, especially the Leafs. But the Jets were a 110+ pt team, and they don't look like they've really lost anything since heading into last season. As Murat points out in his article in the Athletic today, if the Jets are able to preserve around $2.5M in cap space gained through the Mason / Armia trade into the season after the RFA signings, that will equate to around $11M in cap space at the trade deadline, in case the Jets need to make a move to fill in roster gaps.

I was disappointed with how things panned out, but the Jets are in pretty good shape at this point.

Now they need to focus on locking up their RFAs and hope that Laine is training like a fiend to come back for a beastly season.

I like this post and agree, I just wanted to add that losing Enstrom will be a downgrade for next year I think. Niku and Poolman will do fine, but they won't bring that defensive stability/steadiness that Enstrom has. Hopefully Kulikov comes back strong and healthy.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I like this post and agree, I just wanted to add that losing Enstrom will be a downgrade for next year I think. Niku and Poolman will do fine, but they won't bring that defensive stability/steadiness that Enstrom has. Hopefully Kulikov comes back strong and healthy.

Enstrom hasnt been great the last season or 2, i think in hindsight they let Vegas take him and stay at 13. Certainly not worth his price tag...

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm having a very hard time imagining a scenario where Wheeler is the 2C ahead of a healthy Roslovic at this point in time.
Last summer I had hard time imaging a scenario where Hendricks plays hockey in a healthy Jets line up, but look how that went

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Former Jets and Moose:

Buddy Robinson to Calgary
Mike Sgarbossa to Washington
Patrice Cormier to Barys Astana (KHL)
Scott Kosmachuk gets an NHL contract from Colorado (played on an AHL contract for Hartford last season)
Jan Kostalek to Sparta Praha
Melchiori and Matthias don't have deals yet, neither does the man, the myth, the legend Lee Stempniak

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON

Agreed. I would not be the least bit surprised to see Bucky's numbers dipping a bit this season. The question is what does that do to our win-loss record? Are we good enough defensively to be tops in the division/conference without needing a Vezina calibre performance from our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad