GDT: 2018 Canada Day, Free Agent Day, Extension Day, Tavares Day, Trade Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Either way you look at it, dumping a valuable player like Armia for a long shot is dumb.

If you are able to say that signing Stas is a long shot then keep your value.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
:DAddition by subtraction now that Hendricks is gone. Best move of the day to improve our chances of winning hockey games. :D

Best thing is Maurice won't be able to dress him and play him. Sometimes when a person has a problem you need to eliminate the problem so the person no longer sees it as an option. Not having Hendricks as an option.. :thumbu:

Reactions: blues10

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Either way you look at it, dumping a valuable player like Armia for a long shot is dumb.

Cap dump. Don't people read the thread? We can now keep Myers and Perreault.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

these 2 moves had nothing to do with one another. this is not that hard . if they signed stastny today and didn't move armia they would be 20 million under the cap. if they wanted armia bad enough they could have found someone else to give to montreal.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Not sure what is hard to understand here. We had to give something to get rid of that Mason contract.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
You’re banking on a lot of things going right for a second straight season and that is really hard to do with so many guys having career years. Do you really think it wise to just assume that’ll happen again?

Also, biggest reason Vegas got by us was Fluery. No other reason comes close. You really think he repeats that again?

Career Years? It’s the first time these guys have ever played with one another, the first time they’ve had their specific ice times, and the first time they’ve ever played a whole year under their coaches system. Add in an off-season of development. What I’m not going to do is say all the things I’ve just said don’t matter one bit and they are all just one big fluke. The only thing to bank on with these guys is what they’ve done last year. They didn’t exist together the year before.

I wouldn’t want our team to take them lightly. That might be a reason they've achieved so much success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not sure what is hard to understand here. We had to give something to get rid of that Mason contract.

It's also possible as well that the Jets didn't want to give up Armia, but Montreal insisted that they got him as part of the deal. Chevy had to make cap space and maybe this is the only deal he was given.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Apparently it does. There just isn't room to deny the flukiness of so many players having career years at the same time.

Their prospect pool isn't that good. They had 1 great draft and have some very good prospects as a result. It is not a deep pool though. They added nothing to it this year. They would have had way more picks if things had gone as expected. They would have moved Neal, Perron and maybe others at the TD for picks.

Those few good prospects, plus FA signings that they can afford with their cap room, plus the core from the XD will probably enable them to be pretty good for a while.

All we needed to beat them was for the goaltending to normalize. Maybe as little as 1 day off between series might have made a difference. Things came together for them and not for us. The winner of the SC is not the best team. It is the one team out the top 4-6 contending teams that has things come together and hold together at the right time. If you think they demonstrated superiority over us you might as well give up now.

They demonstrated a vast amount of superiority over us. Their defensive stick work and pressure in the slot denied any of our players prime chances. This was miles and miles away from “Just a good goalie”. Reaves was laying on an absolute nightmare to our guys and it showed, particularly on Buff (watch his face in those games). We lost the neutral zone war by miles in my eyes.

On their prospects, Vegas’ pool is vastly better than ours, they also have many more picks in the coming drafts.

On the career years, this is the first time any of them have played together, the first time they’ve experienced their respective TOI, the first time they’ve played under their coach’s system. Add in a year of development. Career year is meaningless here, this was their first incarnation. We will have to see what they do next year (it could even be better than last).

They had the better team last year and it showed (4 straight beat downs to us). As a fan of the Jets, all I want is for us to be the best. I think our second line needs work to accomplish that. They could just come back better from the offseason and that would be great. But from last year, it needs a lot of work.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Johnson & KK, both did very well in the A.

Neither has shown much in the NHL yet. The Marlies success this season was built on a lot of AHL players. TML still have some prospects there but not the blue chippers of a couple of years ago.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They demonstrated a vast amount of superiority over us. Their defensive stick work and pressure in the slot denied any of our players prime chances. This was miles and miles away from “Just a good goalie”. Reaves was laying on an absolute nightmare to our guys and it showed, particularly on Buff (watch his face in those games). We lost the neutral zone war by miles in my eyes.

On their prospects, Vegas’ pool is vastly better than ours, they also have many more picks in the coming drafts.

On the career years, this is the first time any of them have played together, the first time they’ve experienced their respective TOI, the first time they’ve played under their coach’s system. Add in a year of development. Career year is meaningless here, this was their first incarnation. We will have to see what they do next year (it could even be better than last).

They had the better team last year and it showed (4 straight beat downs to us). As a fan of the Jets, all I want is for us to be the best. I think our second line needs work to accomplish that. They could just come back better from the offseason and that would be great. But from last year, it needs a lot of work.

I didn't like our performance against them but you are exaggerating, IMO. Their goaltending was 'horseshoes', ours was merely not bad. Goalies look bad when their teams can't score. Jets were tired and it showed. It turned around vor Vegas in the next series. Jets are a better team than Caps but puck luck turned.

The career years thing is real for most of them. Even in their Jr careers they hadn't stood out like they did last year. Look at their histories even pre-draft.

Stanley Cup playoffs are an endurance test. Jets didn't quite last. I wouldn't trade rosters with Vegas for a minute. Not even close. They have several individual players I'd like to have, but that's a different story.

Reactions: kxx

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So we were able to clear cap space for a price and in fairness we did not have the cap room to be buyers which is good. I am not a fan of acquiring assets on NHL overprice day.

Leafs did very well because they let lots of guys walk which cleared up cap space......cap space is a very undervalued asset on HFBoards.

$11 million is a huge number for Tavares but I think you have to add that asset if you can then just build your cup team around the core of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly.

Glad Tavares selected a team in the east.

Reactions: blues10

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Neither has shown much in the NHL yet. The Marlies success this season was built on a lot of AHL players. TML still have some prospects there but not the blue chippers of a couple of years ago.

They’ve done similar as Roslovic at the nhl level.....they have shown good potential is the point. I would expect them both to produce 30+ points now they perm roster spots.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
So we were able to clear cap space for a price and in fairness we did not have the cap room to be buyers which is good. I am not a fan of acquiring assets on NHL overprice day.

Leafs did very well because they let lots of guys walk which cleared up cap space......cap space is a very undervalued asset on HFBoards.

$11 million is a huge number for Tavares but I think you have to add that asset if you can then just build your cup team around the core of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly.

Glad Tavares selected a team in the east.
It feels like Chevy was told to get back down below the Jets "internal cap" which is probably around 75 mil. Chipmanhas his hands all over this free agency period.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It feels like Chevy was told to get back down below the Jets "internal cap" which is probably around 75 mil. Chipmanhas his hands all over this free agency period.
Doesn't feel that way to me...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Apparently it does. There just isn't room to deny the flukiness of so many players having career years at the same time.

I think the fluke-career-year argument has some holes in it. Many (most) of the Vegas players had better opportunities to succeed in Vegas than with their previous teams, i.e., 4th liners on old team, 3rd liners on Vegas; 3rd liners on old team, 2nd liners on Vegas; 2nd liners on old team, 1st liners on Vegas, etc. That alone would have naturally produced better results. It's also conceivable, in fact more like apparent, that Gallant's system, which they readily bought into and stuck to religously throughout the season, played into their strengths. Then throw in a chip on the shoulder for being dumped as unworthy for extra motivation. There might have been some luck involved, as there always is in the NHL for multiple teams on multiple occasions (including the Jets, e.g., Renne crapping the bed in the 2nd round), but to categorize Vegas's season as some sort of epic fluke shortsells the situation, and IMO the next few years will demonstrate that there's a pretty good foundation there. Now, if you want to attribute Vegas's success to an epic failure by NHL governors in setting expansion draft rules, you won't get any argument from me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the fluke-career-year argument has some holes in it. Many (most) of the Vegas players had better opportunities to succeed in Vegas than with their previous teams, i.e., 4th liners on old team, 3rd liners on Vegas; 3rd liners on old team, 2nd liners on Vegas; 2nd liners on old team, 1st liners on Vegas, etc. That alone would have naturally produced better results. It's also conceivable, in fact more like apparent, that Gallant's system, which they readily bought into and stuck to religously throughout the season, played into their strengths. Then throw in a chip on the shoulder for being dumped as unworthy for extra motivation. There might have been some luck involved, as there always is in the NHL for multiple teams on multiple occasions (including the Jets, e.g., Renne crapping the bed in the 2nd round), but to categorize Vegas's season as some sort of epic fluke shortsells the situation, and IMO the next few years will demonstrate that there's a pretty good foundation there. Now, if you want to attribute Vegas's success to an epic failure by NHL governors in setting expansion draft rules, you won't get any argument from me.
I agree that Vegas has a good foundation, and made some good decisions about their roster composition.

However, you do wonder whether a player like Karlsson can reasonably be expected to get close to 43 goals again. Haula is a nice player, but can we expect more seasons around 30g from him? Is Marchessault going to be a perennial point/game C, with more heat on him?

Maybe they've just "arrived", after quite mundane histories. But I think there's a strong likelihood that they will take a step back. How far, is the pertinent question.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They’ve done similar as Roslovic at the nhl level.....they have shown good potential is the point. I would expect them both to produce 30+ points now they perm roster spots.

I wouldn't call their NHL performances similar to Roslovic:
Rosie - 32 gms, 14 pts
KK - 55 gms, 10 pts
Johnson - 9 gms, 3 pts

Johnson's sample size is too small to be meaningful. It is more comparable to that of Buddy Robinson than to Roslovic. They've been showing potential for some time without making the leap. They could still turn out to be good NHL'ers, but at this point they could also turn out to be just good AHL'ers too.

Do they have perm roster spots? Kapanen appears to but it isn't solid yet. Not sure about Johnson. He did play in the playoffs, so maybe. But it is too soon to say whether that is a good thing for the Leafs or a bad thing. By Christmas you may be citing their regular spots in the lineup as proof the Leafs lack depth.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rosie - 32 gms, 14 pts
KK - 55 gms, 10 pts
Johnson - 9 gms, 3 pts

Johnson's sample size is too small to be meaningful. It is more comparable to that of Buddy Robinson than to Roslovic. They've been showing potential for some time without making the leap. They could still turn out to be good NHL'ers, but at this point they could also turn out to be just good AHL'ers too.

Do they have perm roster spots? Kapanen appears to but it isn't solid yet. Not sure about Johnson. He did play in the playoffs, so maybe. But it is too soon to say whether that is a good thing for the Leafs or a bad thing. By Christmas you may be citing their regular spots in the lineup as proof the Leafs lack depth.
5v5 points / 60 minutes:

Roslovic 2.30
Kapanen 1.28
Johnsson 1.42

Not really very close...

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Rosie - 32 gms, 14 pts
KK - 55 gms, 10 pts
Johnson - 9 gms, 3 pts

You’re selling them short, like Rosie they haven’t made the team bc of roster depth. This year all three will have roster spots on their big clubs and producing.....yes I agree Rosie appears the best of the three but no one is comparing them directly. I responded to a post claiming they lost three players due to ufa and only gained one......while true it’s not painting the true picture.....they also have two decent prospects being promoted with impressive stats in the A and have looked good at the nhl considering their limited ice time and quality time.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
apparently the Leafs play in the Central Division next year

Who cares about the central title.....that’s not the target anymore.....we need to think like a big fish now. Cup or who cares, our window is limited with our older core players. This is as arms race vs all top competitors......central divisional opponents are just a means to an end. Cup or go home

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Who cares about the central title.....that’s not the target anymore.....we need to think like a big fish now. Cup or who cares, our window is limited with our older core players. This is as arms race vs all top competitors......central divisional opponents are just a means to an end. Cup or go home

You seem to be very sure that the Leafs make the SCF.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Of course it has holes. It is not the usual way to judge a roster. But it is so extreme in this case that there is room for lots of holes.

Why had these players never had such opportunity before? And it isn't just at the NHL level either. Not all, but some can be traced well back in their careers with no sign of that level of talent.

I agree there is a pretty good foundation there. Look at their roster objectively and you can see a playoff bubble team with contender goaltending. You can also see enough good young players for them to build on.

I don't agree that the XD was too generous. I think Florida Panthers were too generous. :laugh: I think they acquired players like Neal and Perron with every intention of moving them at the TD. Long term they would have been better of if their own pick had been about 15 and they had a couple more 1sts this year. They got a good haul in their 1st draft with 4 good prospects. They may have added nothing in their 2nd.

The thing they were able to do that paid off, IMO is that they had speed right through their lineup. That, plus goaltending is what they were built on and it was successful.

Whether or not they can repeat will depend on what they can do next. They are using their cap to strengthen their roster in the off-season. They'll have to do more yet just to replace Neal & Perron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad